What's new

Why did you leave Cubase?

Let me make a positive statement: I just updated my PC from Windows 10 to Windows 11 last night, and Cubase Pro 13 is much faster, snappier, and responsive for me on Windows 11. Dramatically so.
Or "after a clean Windows installation, all Registry and Indexing is also clean"

That's what you're probably experiencing, You could go back to 10 and chances are that it will be as snappy as 11. So now that you have it pristine clean, install Revo uninstaller free and use that always to uninstall whatever you remove. You then will be left with way less registry entries, unused files and indexing fingerprint which X app had left out.

Or "after a clean Windows installation, all Registry and Indexing is also clean"

That's what you're probably experiencing, You could go back to 10 and chances are that it will be as snappy as 11. So now that you have it pristine clean, install Revo uninstaller free and use that always to uninstall whatever you remove. You then will be left with way less registry entries, unused files and indexing fingerprint which X app had left out.
This is possible, I think Premiere Pro and After Effects feel a bit snappier too.

But that said - Ableton, FL Studio, and Dorico feel identical to how they felt before I updated to Windows 11. It's just Cubase that feels a lot better.

I am considering jumping ship due to the extremely poor audio performance (CPU spikes causing dropout) on my M1 Mac. Such a shame, as the DAW is brilliant.
Strange - I have an M2 Max and Cubase 13 has some of the best CPU utilization of any DAW I’ve tried. Have you tried modifying your buffer?

Strange - I have an M2 Max and Cubase 13 has some of the best CPU utilization of any DAW I’ve tried. Have you tried modifying your buffer?
Yes - it is a known issue it seems for M1 macs, where the efficiency cores are not activated, so when the two performance cores are maxed out, the audio drops out. I have been using audiogridder (a free vst host service like Vienna ensemble), which somehow bypasses it, but that introduces some latency. So not a perfect solution.

Interesting - which M1 do you have that has only 2 performance cores? I have a MacBook Pro M1 Max with 8 performance and 2 efficiency cores and Cubase performs beautifully. In my case I'm glad that Cubase doesn't utilize the efficiency cores because I think that this would lead to dropouts as the efficiency cores are not powerful enough.

I'm trying the trial of DP 11.31 on Windows 11 and it's stable enough...the problem that I encoutered is an examination failure of some plugins...
I tried to get it to see Wavepad as it now supports Aria and DP failed to recognise it; I have to say, in some way DP can be fussier than other DAWs in this regard. Probably due to the supported APIs. Otherwise it's fine. But I'd rather have a stable DAW, than one which fails due to some plugin or another. Although if it's one you need, then you're out of luck.

Interesting - which M1 do you have that has only 2 performance cores? I have a MacBook Pro M1 Max with 8 performance and 2 efficiency cores and Cubase performs beautifully. In my case I'm glad that Cubase doesn't utilize the efficiency cores because I think that this would lead to dropouts as the efficiency cores are not powerful enough.
Sorry, I mixed up the cores. Issue is still the same though.

I now return to my regularly scheduled negative Cubase comments...

The general system of file saving, preset saving, preset+sample saving (think sampler track), etc. in Cubase drives me insane. For example, I chopped up a Hot Pants break in GA SE5 and made a few midi patterns in the timeline that I subsequently dragged into pads in the Pattern section of GA. I saved the whole thing as a preset, which you can see is currently selected in the browser. However, when I double click that preset to load it, nothing happens.

Further, why are those other kits in my browser showing the red warning symbol? If I double click to load them, they actually do load into the kit as normal, so why is it showing that?

Little things like this add up and are frustrating. It's a lot harder to diagnose these types of problems in Steinberg software compared to other DAWs. I've never experienced problems saving or recalling presets in Ableton, FL Studio, Reaper, etc.

Groove Agent Annoyances.jpg

I now return to my regularly scheduled negative Cubase comments...

The general system of file saving, preset saving, preset+sample saving (think sampler track), etc. in Cubase drives me insane. For example, I chopped up a Hot Pants break in GA SE5 and made a few midi patterns in the timeline that I subsequently dragged into pads in the Pattern section of GA. I saved the whole thing as a preset, which you can see is currently selected in the browser. However, when I double click that preset to load it, nothing happens.

Further, why are those other kits in my browser showing the red warning symbol? If I double click to load them, they actually do load into the kit as normal, so why is it showing that?

Little things like this add up and are frustrating. It's a lot harder to diagnose these types of problems in Steinberg software compared to other DAWs. I've never experienced problems saving or recalling presets in Ableton, FL Studio, Reaper, etc.

Groove Agent Annoyances.jpg
I suffered the same, the problem for me was missing the sounds that came with the installer so i installed groove again and checked to install his sounds. I think he uses them as a reader for sounds from downloader assistant, someone who knows better can explain because i'm a beginner with cubase.

Last edited:
i installed groove again and checked to install his sounds from the installer
I uninstalled and reinstalled Groove Agent and its associated content - all from the installer - but now I'm showing even MORE content with the red warning symbol than before. It all seems to load properly though, so I don't know what to make of it. 🙃

As an alternate take, here is why I didn't leave Cubase, in no particular order. All the other DAW I tried missed at least one of these key feature for me:

- It's the most stable system and best performing DAW on my Mac (yes, even better than Logic.)
- It has a Chord Track.
- Enabling/disabling tracks.
- It's scriptable to a certain point with PLE.
- It's the fastest mix console for me.
- I can have different mix consoles open at the same time on different monitors (for example, one for instruments and one for busses.)
- MIDI editing functions are second to none.
- Audio feedback when drawing CCs over MIDI notes.
- Multiple marker tracks, in time-based or musical mode (one for hit points, one for musical events.)
- Can split the sequencer into two independent horizontal windows.
- Display multiple CC lanes at once.
- Color the piano roll notes according to a scale or to the chord track.
- Time warp and automatic tempo maps.
- Advanced articulation management through Expression Maps that work with key switches, program changes and MIDI channels.
- Visibility macros are awesome when navigating a template made of thousands of tracks.

There are other reasons but these are the first that come to mind. I use Pro Tools regularly too but for mixing only and delivering PT sessions. I wouldn't dare using it for MIDI tasks. I tried S1, Ableton, Logic, Bitwig, DP, Reaper... none are as efficient as Cubase for my workflow. Of course, Cubase is not perfect, has quirks and a ton of room for improvement but it's my favorite by far. DP _could_ work for me if I was forced at gun point to change DAW.

Have some downtime, so thought I’d give C13 a test drive (two weeks in). Used Cubase up to C10 (still use it for audio recording) and Logic has been my primary DAW since 2013. I must admit, it seems a lot snappier than Logic, and realized how much I missed the MIDI editing features. I’ve been running my regular templates and so far not a single crash. And being able to open multiple CC lanes at once is awesome. Still love Logic, but it has had some gremlins since the last update. If there’s a 50% off upgrade sale this summer, I’ll be updating to C13. I really wish there was Logic Remote equivalent for iPad, but Streamdeck for iPad is a viable option.

As an alternate take, here is why I didn't leave Cubase, in no particular order. All the other DAW I tried missed at least one of these key feature for me:

- It's the most stable system and best performing DAW on my Mac (yes, even better than Logic.)
- It has a Chord Track.
- Enabling/disabling tracks.
- It's scriptable to a certain point with PLE.
- It's the fastest mix console for me.
- I can have different mix consoles open at the same time on different monitors (for example, one for instruments and one for busses.)
- MIDI editing functions are second to none.
- Audio feedback when drawing CCs over MIDI notes.
- Multiple marker tracks, in time-based or musical mode (one for hit points, one for musical events.)
- Can split the sequencer into two independent horizontal windows.
- Display multiple CC lanes at once.
- Color the piano roll notes according to a scale or to the chord track.
- Time warp and automatic tempo maps.
- Advanced articulation management through Expression Maps that work with key switches, program changes and MIDI channels.
- Visibility macros are awesome when navigating a template made of thousands of tracks.

There are other reasons but these are the first that come to mind. I use Pro Tools regularly too but for mixing only and delivering PT sessions. I wouldn't dare using it for MIDI tasks. I tried S1, Ableton, Logic, Bitwig, DP, Reaper... none are as efficient as Cubase for my workflow. Of course, Cubase is not perfect, has quirks and a ton of room for improvement but it's my favorite by far. DP _could_ work for me if I was forced at gun point to change DAW.
+1. I think there are a lot of experience people here who rather elaborate on "Why I stay with Cubase", or "Why I still use Cubase". It's a irony that this thread, with a negative title, was started by the OP who intended it as a survey/information gathering exercise prior to him decided on using Cubase. And he has settled on Cubase (see the very first post).

I was a very loyal user of Cubase since the very first version of Cubase VST in 1998. At the time it was the only DAW that worked with my sound card (for anyone who thinks it's complicated to set up an audio system nowaday, it's a breeze compared to what it once was!)

I loved Cubase and was using it exclusively for over a decade. Then I think around version 7 or 8, it had become quite bloated. As much as I loved it, it took forever to load and close down, I didn't like the redesigned mixer, it started to install a million other programs (Steinberg download assistant, install assistant, groove agent, two or three ASIO drivers, Halion, and so on), plus the dongle was making it a pain to switch between my laptop and desktop computer.

So at that time I tried Studio One, which was at version 2.5 or 3, I think. It loaded and closed instantly, had just one program (no million dependencies), no dongle, felt much snappier. I really resisted leaving Cubase, but the user experience was considerably better with S1, so in the end I switched.

For the record, I actually think that Cubase sounds a bit "better". I know, there are heated debates about this, and many people think it's BS. More power to them. In spite of that, I still switched because S1 just flowed better. I could do everything faster.

Now, from what I've heard Cubase has since then been rewritten from scratch. So I might try out version 13 to see where it's at. Mind you, though, I recently tried out Dorico and promptly removed it after I had to install another 10 programs to get it to work (the same old Steinberg download assistant, install assistant, assistant to the download assistant, etc.). I find that very off putting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom