What's new

Why did you leave Cubase?

I went from Sonar to Cubase to Logic to Studio 1. I left Sonar when it was sold to Bandlab. Left Cubase to get a more comfortable interface and workflow. Left Logic to get an even more comfortable interface and workflow. Now super happy with S1.

If I had to answer the original question:

Only because in the late '90s, when I used all of them fairly interchangeably, Cubase was the only one that didn't support my Pro Tools TDM hardware.

However, Steinberg had a handle on native audio before other developers caught up. So it was nothing against Cubase.

I wonder how many folks ranting about Cubase (or any other daw, for that matter) took time to fully get to know it, customize it for their workflow, learnt all its ways. In truth I think any daw is an amazing piece of software. Myself I’m invested in Nuendo for many years now, and it never ceases to amaze me how comprehensive it truly is. This doesn’t mean it’s perfect, but it has been a real pal of mine all these years. And I bet you can say that about each daw, as long as you took the time to make it second nature.
+1. For some people (like me), Cubase is the DAW (especially if you are in media composing) you don't know that you need it yet. Once you set up your own workflow, shortcuts and know it well (with muscle memory), it really is a truly comprehensive piece of software that I find one can grow with it. But instant gratification is probably not its strongest suite, despite the payoff being rewarding. Different DAW for different purposes and people I guess.

Last edited:
FYI Live 12 has a new midi effect called "CC Control" that allows you to record any midi CC to an automation lane. But otherwise, completely agree with your assessment RE: Live feels like a chore to use vs. Cubase. So much mouse clicking. It feels like Live is set up to penalize you for NOT using their stock devices.
I tried it and I only could record MIDI CC from this device to a hardware synth (Virus TI) and it's limited to only a few knobs/parameters. But I spent about 5 minutes only on this yesterday in Live 12 Demo.

Last edited:
I fired up Cubase 12 this morning to test whether a library that was misbehaving with VEP in Studio 1 was also misbehaving in Cubase (it was), and holy crap… within 30 minutes, I was brought to my psychological knees by the Cubase workflow. After years and years of drag and drop, I’d forgotten how gnarly Cubase can be in some processes. I keep wanting to make friends with it, but it feels like a toxic one-sided relationship lol…

After years and years of drag and drop, I’d forgotten how gnarly Cubase can be in some processes.
Once you go drag and drop, you'll never stop! That's one of the first things you learn when leaving Cubase. Of course, you can do just about everything in Cubase (and a lot of other DAWs as well) but it is how fast and efficient that really matters in the long run. After running Cubase for 30 years I tried the demos of most of the alternatives about six months ago, and finally settled on Studio One because for me (for some reason) it was the most Cubase-like in its architecture and approach, so I found it to be the easiest to switch. Maybe S1 kind of modeled Cubase in a more up-to-date interface and architecture, I don't know, but I think it's the most intuitive for switchers from Cubase. If you're starting from scratch perhaps others will be just as good, or even better, but once you know certain ways of thinking and doing things you need to find the one which is most comfortable. A Japanese speaker may say his language is better than English, because for him it certainly is, but only because he knows it and was brought up with it. DAW's are kind of like that.

Once you go drag and drop, you'll never stop! That's one of the first things you learn when leaving Cubase. Of course, you can do just about everything in Cubase (and a lot of other DAWs as well) but it is how fast and efficient that really matters in the long run. After running Cubase for 30 years I tried the demos of most of the alternatives about six months ago, and finally settled on Studio One because for me (for some reason) it was the most Cubase-like in its architecture and approach, so I found it to be the easiest to switch. Maybe S1 kind of modeled Cubase in a more up-to-date interface and architecture, I don't know, but I think it's the most intuitive for switchers from Cubase. If you're starting from scratch perhaps others will be just as good, or even better, but once you know certain ways of thinking and doing things you need to find the one which is most comfortable. A Japanese speaker may say his language is better than English, because for him it certainly is, but only because he knows it and was brought up with it. DAW's are kind of like that.

One guy who was responsible for the creation of Studio One was also responsible for Cubase. That's why.

You can drag and drop a small number of things in Cubase, such as VST instruments and effects, from the right zone.

It’s no where near as accomplished as Studio One (you can’t do it with presets), but it can be convenient in some instances.

I'm thinking of ditching Cubase 13 just due to the removal of VST instrument plugin "undo" functionality. I wrote this on the Steinberg forum thread about the issue:
It’s really unfortunate and doesn’t inspire long-term confidence in the use of the software. What if there’s a “feature” I’m currently using frequently that’s going to be “removed” in a future update? 😕
If I had a Mac, I'd give Logic a shot. Tried Studio One but really disliked the feel of the program, maybe I need to give it another shot. Digital Performer looks great on paper, but people still report that it's unusable on PC.

I'm thinking of ditching Cubase 13 just due to the removal of VST instrument plugin "undo" functionality. I wrote this on the Steinberg forum thread about the issue:

If I had a Mac, I'd give Logic a shot. Tried Studio One but really disliked the feel of the program, maybe I need to give it another shot. Digital Performer looks great on paper, but people still report that it's unusable on PC.
Actually I found that one the whole DP is quite stable on Windows. Fortunately Motu keeps an archive of various versions, so if the latest update doesn't work as expected you can always rollback to another version.

Whilst I still have a soft spot for Cubase, the main musicians I work with use Logic and my job demands I work FAST when I get an on-location recording job. Since getting a MacBook Pro with Logic, being able to go anywhere and being set to record (and all key binds geared towards laptop viability) the ergonomics have just made me happier.

I miss Cubase MIDI but that's about it, and I can still achieve the exact same thing maybe a tiny bit slower? Overtime it will probably catch up to be the same. For anymore advanced editing/audio work I can just hop over to Pro Tools or Reaper.

Actually I found that one the whole DP is quite stable on Windows. Fortunately Motu keeps an archive of various versions, so if the latest update doesn't work as expected you can always rollback to another version.
I'm trying the trial of DP 11.31 on Windows 11 and it's stable enough...the problem that I encoutered is an examination failure of some plugins...

I left Cubase because I've sold my Atari ST.... :)

I did have Cubasis installed on PC, many years ago. Came free with audio interface, if I recall. Made some projects with it in the 90s.

Recently, I wanted to see what those were about (was cleaning my archives). I've installed demo of Cubase on my Mac. I was able to open old CPR files with it and convert them to MIDI. So that was great - thanks Steinberg !!!

I can't stand the GUI of the present version, for me it looks chaotic. I use Logic so maybe that's why ;)

Honestly, after reading your comments on this forum, I laughed :)

It is normal for an old code to be more difficult to navigate, it is deeper and with more features, so the workflow can feel more loaded. As for the code itself, the fact that it is old does not mean that it is poorly written, the fact that Cubase is written with a pencil and S1 with a pen does not mean that it cannot be read by everyone, only the way of writing differs, not the response speed of the station. My opinion is that you are neither programmers nor musicians because the way you justify your opinions denotes frustration, and absolutely no productivity.

Cubase was a road-weary parent who discovered after a long time the pleasure of going on vacation and S1 is a child with a beautiful future ahead of him. They are both good and with each version they will become even better, the fact that now one has a feature and the other does not is just a matter of time.

translated from Romanian to English by translate.google.ro

Let me make a positive statement: I just updated my PC from Windows 10 to Windows 11 last night, and Cubase Pro 13 is much faster, snappier, and responsive for me on Windows 11. Dramatically so.

[Edit with computer specs]

Computer specs (custom build done in February 2021):
- Ryzen 5950x CPU (water-cooled by an AIO, I forget if it's Corsair or another brand)
- MSI Meg x570 UNIFY motherboard
- RTX 3090 GPU
- 4x32gb (128gb total) G.SKILL ram (can't remember the timing but they weren't top-speed ram sticks)
- A few M.2 hard drives and SSD hard drives
- EVGA 850w Gold PSU

This is my general-use PC that's used for everything including day-job financial modeling, music production, content creation via the entire Adobe Suite, 3D modeling in Blender/Houdini, bunch of video games, etc.

This is to say that the system isn't babied to be as stable as possible for music production; my hard drives are cluttered with all sorts of junk yet I haven't had any stability issues of any kind on any software. I store my sample libraries and Steam library on the same internal 2TB hard drive.

Last edited:
I am considering jumping ship due to the extremely poor audio performance (CPU spikes causing dropout) on my M1 Mac. Such a shame, as the DAW is brilliant.

Top Bottom