What's new

Why did you leave Cubase?

After years of testing, and to my own detriment constantly switching DAWs, I settled on Cubase.

I have a soft spot for Ableton Live, and find it incredibly fun and freeing to make music in, but to orchestrate with it and run orchestral libraries its a headache.

Was a logic user since 2005, tried DP, S1, Reaper. Cubase just ticks all the boxes and runs incredibly well on my Intel Mac.

Now, from what I've heard Cubase has since then been rewritten from scratch. So I might try out version 13 to see where it's at. Mind you, though, I recently tried out Dorico and promptly removed it after I had to install another 10 programs to get it to work (the same old Steinberg download assistant, install assistant, assistant to the download assistant, etc.). I find that very off putting.
I'm firmly in the Steinberg Eco system and have been for ever, it seems.
I use the whole lot, Nuendo, Dorico Pro, WaveLab Pro, SpectraLayers, Absolute 6 and a whole bunch of Instruments and sounds etc. As far as I'm aware, these days there are only three programs ever needed:

1) Download Assistant 2) Activation Manager 3) Library Manager.
But these programs make life very easy for downloads, moving libraries onto new SSD's and deactivating Apps if required...

I do have eLicenser control/activation centre on my W11 system, and have to for some reason, so I presume that does something. But there is no dongle and it doesn't get in the way of anything.

Using it ten years and never knew!
Bear in mind that the principle behind note expression is to tie a certain expression curve (defined by the cc you're editing) to that specific note. If you copy the note, it will retain that expression - hence "Note" Expression. I've just come across this example by Nico where he selects ALL the notes, and have to try it to check if expression is bound to all, or what is happening under the hood. Nevertheless, for the less keyboard-skilled, or those without physical controllers for real-time control, it's an excellent tip!

I didn't. Cubase is made in Germany, as was the Diesel engine.
Besides, if Zimmer and Zedd both use Cubase it's probably good enough for me.

Bear in mind that the principle behind note expression is to tie a certain expression curve (defined by the cc you're editing) to that specific note. If you copy the note, it will retain that expression - hence "Note" Expression. I've just come across this example by Nico where he selects ALL the notes, and have to try it to check if expression is bound to all, or what is happening under the hood. Nevertheless, for the less keyboard-skilled, or those without physical controllers for real-time control, it's an excellent tip!
Exactly. That's why once you are happy with the performance, you dissolve the note expressions and it gets into your regular CC lanes (shown in the video, I think... made it a few years ago, don't remember if I show it in this one or another.)

Exactly. That's why once you are happy with the performance, you dissolve the note expressions and it gets into your regular CC lanes (shown in the video, I think... made it a few years ago, don't remember if I show it in this one or another.)
ahaha, great! I confess I didn't watch the whole video (got it straight away, or so I thought!), and didn't know about dissolving only expression data! That is a game changer!! I usually record CC when recording parts (have a 4-fader controller for that, and being a pianist that is really easy :) ), but the tip you shared will surely be handy when recording ensembles, having both hands on the keyboard! Thank you very much! I really don't do ensembles very much, essentially record each line separately, but your tip made it much more natural once the need arises!

Further, why are those other kits in my browser showing the red warning symbol? If I double click to load them, they actually do load into the kit as normal, so why is it showing that?

Groove Agent Annoyances.jpg
Just in case anyone comes across my post with the same problem...

These "missing" kits (the ones with the stop sign-looking symbol) are the Groove Agent One kits; there's a bug in the v5.2 maintenance update that caused this issue. Steinberg said in February that they're aware of the issue and working on a fix; they recommend reverting to v5.1.2 if you're having problems with v5.2. No ETA on when the fix will come, but they said they've shifted their priorities for this.

I had to install another 10 programs to get it to work (the same old Steinberg download assistant, install assistant, assistant to the download assistant, etc.)
I don't use Dorico, however with C13 you should only be using the Steinberg Download Assistant (SDA) and the Steinberg Activation Manager. (SAM) Those are the only 2. If you have a dongle, with prior stuff, yes, that does add to the issue, (eLicenser) but they should work together without issues. Over time that should be resolved where everything should be on SAM.

Fwiw, I too wish they would have not abandoned the dongle, but it was obviously a business decision. With exception of a few who made unsubstantiated claims, copy protection was perfect with the dongle going back quite a few years.

Sheesh...I keep adding to this.

When C7 was released, that included the new mix consoles as you are referrng to. That alone was a huge jump, and a lot of users prefered to stay with C6.5. Ironically, my feeling today is that the built-in tools that were included in the C7 mix consoles are greatly under-used.

Why is that? GUI? 3rd party tools always sound better? 3rd party looks better Drop-down configuration?

For myself, the Cubase stock EQ is my most used EQ. It's used on tracks that are hardly audible, or simply don't require a higher end EQ. I compose pop, usually 100-200 tracks. If I want a better EQ I'll reach for clean ProQ3, Pultec or Manley for distortion or MDWEQ for surgical.

Last edited:
Where did you "hear" or read this?
I can't remember exactly, but it was in a discussion about Studio One. Someone was complaining about the performance drop with a high track count, and someone else mentioned that Cubase was much better for that case because it had been rewritten from scratch. I don't have any official confirmation, though.

I can't remember exactly, but it was in a discussion about Studio One. Someone was complaining about the performance drop with a high track count, and someone else mentioned that Cubase was much better for that case because it had been rewritten from scratch. I don't have any official confirmation, though.
I highly doubt it was written from scratch

It's never been "rewritten from scratch" to my knowledge. Even Cubase VST to Cubase SX. Many years ago the sound engine was revised. My guess is they do remove certain elements and re-write, for many objectives..just one recent example is graphics, but that's far from "re-written from scratch."

I have no idea about a change/allowance for a higher track count.

I'm still thinking about C7.

At that time, personally I could firmly believe the vast majority of 3rd party plugs were better than what the Strip in the C7 mix console offered. I don't know if any of those tools in the mix console have been upgraded other than graphics. But when I actually use and attempt to discern quality of the tools included in the Strip, I find myself thinking that for a lot of tracks, "it's good enough." Will a high quality EQ really be necessary for a 4-bar tambourine part that...unless muted you forget it even exists?

A few years ago they added the Strip to Channel Settings. I still don't think that has revised much interest in the Strip. Maybe I'm completely wrong about my impression of the Strip. It certainly doesn't get that much chat or problems mentioned in forums.

But today, I don't think it's fair to assume a 3rd party is "better" than the included stock plugs. Every tool needs to be addressed on it's own because there are some pretty powerful and incredible newer tools included in Cubase that (I'm going to assume) were outsourced and coded for Steinberg. There are a lot of independents for hire working for multiple players. The playing field is more level than ever before for innovation.

And as said before, my favorite example is Frequency 2 which to this day is very unique and my #1 choice for dynamic EQ, because of the benefits you can achieve in Frequency 2 that are not achievable with any other 3rd party VST to my knowledge.

It's never been "rewritten from scratch" to my knowledge. Even Cubase VST to Cubase SX. Many years ago the sound engine was revised. My guess is they do remove certain elements and re-write, for many objectives..just one recent example is graphics, but that's far from "re-written from scratch."

I have no idea about a change/allowance for a higher track count.

Letting the OS take care of business on the UI side, that was the change. And it worked, and continues to work. I can't give exact details, but that's what it comes down to.

I myself don't know what "letting the OS take care of business" mean in technical terms though. Just repeating what has been confirmed by the Steinberg team's representatives.

So that was rewritten for example.
But not the whole program, no. There is such thing as modular development, where you can easily work on one part of the program without effecting others, taking it out and shoving it back in when done. That is oversimplifying it, but if there was a rewrite, that would be my guess as to what happened. Cubase development certainly didn't start with that workflow. You don't notice anything on the user side about that though. But it allows for faster development and easier implementation of new/updated features

It might be that the whole program isn't fully converted to a modular development programming workflow, which could explain why certain features, as expression maps, might be taking so long. First switching it to modular, then developing it. It has no use trying otherwise. Mind you that those are pretty extensive rewrites for a program not started as such. It does allow for faster development in the future though. And easier feature-parity and cross-compatible functionality between Steinberg products. Hence we start to see much deeper integration between them.

Last edited:

Thats a great explanation Nico.

I would like to add for new users that by default (iirc) Note Expression is turned off. By default double-clicking in the key editor will create a note where you click or if there is a note, delete the note.

You must turn on Note Expression. Hover over the 3 icons for explanation. Click on the sideways triangle to adjust size of note expression data.

Also Note Expression can be used in more creative ways for other genres such as EDM. Here is a great example using NI Massive.

Attachments

• Why did you leave Cubase?
    note expression.JPG
    3.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Why did you leave Cubase?
    note expression 2.JPG
    3.5 KB · Views: 3
as much as I love S1, I started liking cubase a lot! placed an order for 13 as S1 6.6 updates kind of broke few plugins and midi function that I use a lot. (also few little things fender doing is honestly annoying. it's like avid..)
learned many shortcuts, wrote down them to stickie so that I can see every time I need. few things I miss from S1 for sure, but it's pretty easy transition for me (S1 and cubase are similar in many ways I think). love both program but for a while I'm going to use cubase only. (gave a try to login pro x but I just gel more with S1/Cubase type of workflow, or Ableton).

Btw, cubase IC pro app is still not worth it? if anybody using it?

Top Bottom