What's new

VSL shameless "fanboyism" thread

I’m slowly transitioning to other libraries because of the licensing limitation. Just bought a laptop, all my other libraries are dongle free and with multiple activations.

I had bought a 2nd license for one VSL library (with special price), it’s just too costly to have all my entire VSL catalog for 2nd license. :sad:

If it's okay with you, @Ben, that the settings are shared publicly? Would someone be kind enough to share the settings for the SSP Muted presets from the standard library? (For each section, if there are any significant differences, respectively).

I'd like to apply them to Duality Strings regular.
Feel free to share these presets.
The muted presets are fine-tuned per library, and they will of course not sound as good as the real con sordino samples.

although I love using my synchron libraries back at home, I am increasingly scared of traveling with my ilok dongle fearing it may get damaged or stolen, and ilok cloud is really not reliable, definitely not while on the go. I know this has been discussed before, but I think at least a few of us would truly appreciate an ilok machine activation option.
In your case I recommend using iLok Zero Downtime with enabled theft and loss coverage.

I worked with Basso Profondo yesterday along with various Synchron libraries in Studio One and loved how they automatically have all the articulation maps set up.

I worked with Basso Profondo yesterday along with various Synchron libraries in Studio One and loved how they automatically have all the articulation maps set up.
This is the single one feature that keeps me using vsl things if possible.
It is SO convenient not having to set anything up manually, even if you create your own patches.

This is the single one feature that keeps me using vsl things if possible.
It is SO convenient not having to set anything up manually, even if you create your own patches.
yup what a tremendous value add. And VSL also has expression maps for Dorico too!

In your case I recommend using iLok Zero Downtime with enabled theft and loss coverage.
Sure, and I do, although replacing the licenses is not stress free even with their insurance.

Anyhow, I would have hoped that in 2024 ilok would have sorted security in machine activation by now to make it as secure as the dongle or the cloud, specially when pretty much all operating systems can run a secure boot and with protection on kernel extensions.

Sure, and I do, although replacing the licenses is not stress free even with their insurance.
If you enable Theft and Loss coverage you have to be online once a month, but in return we are not even involved in the license recovery process. You simply mark your iLok as lost/stolen and you will get new licenses assigned to your account automatically within minutes.

Anyhow, I would have hoped that in 2024 ilok would have sorted security in machine activation by now
iLok Machine Activation is not secure enough for us, and how fast other machine activation methods are being cracked I don't think machine activation, iLok or something else, is not an option for us.

If you enable Theft and Loss coverage you have to be online once a month, but in return we are not even involved in the license recovery process. You simply mark your iLok as lost/stolen and you will get new licenses assigned to your account automatically within minutes.
I have ZDT now and I need to travel with two dongles. One operational and one empty just in case. Doesn't seem stress free to me. At least if the cloud option didn’t keep pinging every minute it would more useful especially while on the go. Even then not all developers support cloud, so back to square one, the only “universal” option is the dongle.

I can live with it since I love working with the libraries, but I am just not very “excited” nor understanding the details as of why machine activation is not as secure nowadays.

What licensing limitation is there? I was considering purchasing some VSL libraries, but this comment has put a halt to that...
VSL only lets you deposit licenses to either physical iLok or cloud, and 1 license per library, It’s fine if I only work with one machine, not convenient for people working with both a desktop and a laptop.

I purchased a maxed out MacBook Pro and I don’t wanna carry any dongle and external ssd.

VSL only lets you deposit licenses to either physical iLok or cloud, and 1 license per library, It’s fine if I only work with one machine, not convenient for people working with both a desktop and a laptop.

I purchased a maxed out MacBook Pro and I don’t wanna carry any dongle and external ssd.
You should be able to just deposit all the VSL licenses to the ilok cloud and then just open the cloud session on either the desktop or the laptop. It can be a little annoying having to log in to Ilok and log out of your other cloud session if switching from desktop to laptop or vice versa but it's not too bad.

But you travel with your purse and credit cards and debit cards and house keys and car keys and ...

Sorry, but I don't get your point.
Dongles are more easily damaged than cards and keys. You must purchase ZDT to have some peace of mind and also have another unused dongle on hand, so now you're traveling with two dongles that could be lost, broken, or stolen which you need to run the instruments you've already paid money for.

Personally I've switched from machine activation to using dongles and ZDT. It's less than ideal having to deal with OS/hardware device changes which basically take away access to your original machine ID that all your licenses were activated with.

Dongles are more easily damaged than cards and keys. You must purchase ZDT to have some peace of mind and also have another unused dongle on hand, so now you're traveling with two dongles that could be lost, broken, or stolen which you need to run the instruments you've already paid money for.
Okay but still. We buy instruments for thousands of EUR, USD, GBP, ... but are unwilling to invest another 200 for protection?

You should be able to just deposit all the VSL licenses to the ilok cloud and then just open the cloud session on either the desktop or the laptop.
That's how it's already working, isn't it? I never close my Cloud instance and just open an instance on my notbook and it asks me if I'm ok if the Cloud instance closes. The other machine does not even have to be on for this to work.

That's how it's already working, isn't it? I never close my Cloud instance and just open an instance on my notbook and it asks me if I'm ok if the Cloud instance closes. The other machine does not even have to be on for this to work.
I have had several instances were I have had to go into my ilok account and log out of my cloud session from the other computer and then log back into cloud session when swapping from desktop to laptop.

Cloud is a great solution when internet is available, I constantly flight biweekly and very frequently I have to work on the plane.

Anyway, that’s just my current situation.

I’m still loving VSL and have many of their libraries, and they stay in my studio, firmed.

I think the problem with the machine activation is once it is a file on the hard drive, it is relatively straightforward to clone the authorization data, which is next to impossible when it is a physical key or cloud solution.

If I used sample libraries on my laptop, I would be tempted to find a laptop solution where I could install a dongle internally. Perhaps a market opportunity for someone making Windows laptops?

The ideal solution to me would be if the cloud authorization could work on a timer where it had to refresh with the cloud at least once every day or two. That way the cloud going down for a short time wouldn't be a huge problem, and you could use the cloud licenses on a plane.

Top Bottom