What's new

VSL shameless "fanboyism" thread

I’m slowly transitioning to other libraries because of the licensing limitation. Just bought a laptop, all my other libraries are dongle free and with multiple activations.

I had bought a 2nd license for one VSL library (with special price), it’s just too costly to have all my entire VSL catalog for 2nd license. :sad:
VSL should think about it and give at least two activations per licence. I know you can move the iLok key around, but this is not safe and practical.

For those using Synchron libraries within Logic...

When I choose the Synchron player as the instrument on the track, Logic provides the option of opening it as Multi-Output (25xStereo) but, in the Synchron player, I am only provided with the option to route the outputs to Master, st2 through st9

Is there a setting in Synchron I need to change to be able to route to additional outputs? or, is there a glitch in Logic providing me the Multi-Output (25xStereo)?

When I choose the Synchron player as the instrument on the track, Logic provides the option of opening it as Multi-Output (25xStereo) but, in the Synchron player, I am only provided with the option to route the outputs to Master, st2 through st9
Just a uninformed guess: maybe Logic is showing its maximum allowed number of outputs, while the Synchron Player is showing its actual maximum number?

Paolo

I started with VSL just recently and I have to say, the quality of the libraries are really good, choir is kind of a dud but brass and strings are top notch.

iLok Machine Activation is not secure enough for us, and how fast other machine activation methods are being cracked I don't think machine activation, iLok or something else, is not an option for us.

It is important to remember the old saying that locks are to keep honest people out. So security should not be guided by paranoia, but a big picture, reasoned response.

The type of people who use cracked software aren't typically going to buy VSL because it's not possible to find a cracked version of VSL. They're going to use a cracked version of some other orchestral library. You aren't losing sales to those people.

Meanwhile, when you make the locks cumbersome to use, you discourage people from using your product. You lose future sales. For example, I'm reading this thread because I'm considering getting VSL. But I'm very hesitant, because I really don't want to deal with the lack of machine activation.

Meanwhile, you also create user experience frustration among some of your existing customers, which reduces how much they champion your product to others. User experience always colors subjective perceptions of a product.

So there's a happy balance between enough security, but not so much that you are hurting sales of your product because of reduced user experience. And I strongly suspect that VSL's current approach is not achieving that balance.

The type of people who use cracked software aren't typically going to buy VSL because it's not possible to find a cracked version of VSL. They're going to use a cracked version of some other orchestral library. You aren't losing sales to those people.
Actually: You are loosing sales. Not every industry can be compared, and what is true for certain software and media is not necessarely true for others.
Orchestral sample libraries is a niche with too few customers, which makes effects like more sales due to pirated software/games not work.

The first libraries from us had absolutely no copy protection, and it almost bankrupted our company.
After introducing eLicenser sales more than doubled.

So there's a happy balance between enough security, but not so much that you are hurting sales of your product because of reduced user experience. And I strongly suspect that VSL's current approach is not achieving that balance.
Machine activation is not a good user experience; it only seems to be until you have to replace hardware component, your harddrive fails, your computer gets stolen, ...
It adds a lot of cost regarding the users time and for companies additional support work.

Last edited:
Machine activation can be added as an option, more flexible for mobile users I’d say.

Still reduces security.

There is definitely a market for a laptop-friendly dongle form factor if PACE wanted to sell one.

Napkin-scratch ideas include: shallow profile dongle with flash ram perpendicular to USB plug but centered and symmetrical; or, arguably even better, Bluetooth RF dongle that could be kept in users pocket powered by pair of easily replaced lithium watch batteries. Could contract with automobile keyfob subcontractor on the latter.

With internet now so ubiquitous, I think cloud protection is a comfortable way to authorize things. Moving between machines is just a few clicks away.

Only, I would wish a longer downtime when internet goes down. Where I live, it may easily go down during a storm.

As for a better dongle: there are USB extension cables that should make it more comfortable to use. But I hate dongles.

Paolo

Last edited:
Machine activation can be added as an option, more flexible for mobile users I’d say.
No, it would not hold any significant time. To my knowledge there is no machine activation mechanism out there that doesn't require constant internet connection that was not breached within weeks, sometimes even hours.

Every chain is just as secure as the weakest part, and for copy-protection it is the users machine. This is why many applications are no longer available to download and install but rather have to be used with a browser.
To make the users machine less of an issue companies can also decide to require a constant internet connection or add a hardware key.

One company I know recently switched to machine activation, and their copy protection was already broken a day before the official release has happened. We simply can't afford somthing like this happening.

I started with VSL just recently and I have to say, the quality of the libraries are really good, choir is kind of a dud but brass and strings are top notch.
Which libraries do you have? I generally feel the opposite (choirs and pianos are the highlights), so interested to hear which ones you’ve used.

Actually: You are loosing sales. Not every industry can be compared, and what is true for certain software and media is not necessarely true for others.
Orchestral sample libraries is a niche with too few customers, which makes effects like more sales due to pirated software/games not work.

The first libraries from us had absolutely no copy protection, and it almost bankrupted our company.
After introducing eLicenser sales more than doubled.

The conversation is not about no copyright protection. It's about machine activation.

Machine activation is not a good user experience; it only seems to be until you have to replace hardware component, your harddrive fails, your computer gets stolen, ...
It adds a lot of cost regarding the users time and for companies additional support work.

You guys don't want to do machine activation, because you don't want to support people when they have a hard drive or major computer failure with reactivating the license. Ok.

But despite you trying to be the gatekeeper to user experience, a lot of users want to use machine-based activation. And it's not because they want to pirate your software.

Even Steinberg has moved towards offering a machine based activation.

The conversation is not about no copyright protection. It's about machine activation.

You guys don't want to do machine activation, because you don't want to support people when they have a hard drive or major computer failure with reactivating the license. Ok.

But despite you trying to be the gatekeeper to user experience, a lot of users want to use machine-based activation. And it's not because they want to pirate your software.

You’re being sort of obtuse about this. Machine activation isn’t secure. If VSL uses it, their libraries will be cracked. That’s what he’s telling you, from experience. Nobody’s “gatekeeping user experience” just for the heck of it.

I was just browsing through Babylon Waves and I see a bass flute, a change in oboe 2, an oboe d'amour, a heckelphone, and a basset horn in Synchron Woodwinds. Are those released? I see them in Synchron Player nor an update in Vienna Assistant.

1714552447353.png

Top Bottom