What's new

[NEW] Big Bang Orchestra Returns - BBO: Altair

Isn´t the tutti patch in Altair redundant for Andromeda owners?
I was just wondering that as well. Both Andromeda and Altair sound amazing. But if you already own Andromeda, what do you get with Altair that Andromeda doesn't have?

Last edited:
I was wondering that as well. If you already own Andromeda, what would you get with Altair that Andromeda doesn't have?
Separat sections, recorded in the same session, playing in tutti and then one section at the time.
This allows you to only use the strings, or only the woodwinds, or only brass, and mix and match how ever you like.

Separat sections, recorded in the same session, playing in tutti and then one section at the time.
This allows you to only use the strings, or only the woodwinds, or only brass, and mix and match how ever you like.
Thank you very much Ben. That's sounds fantastic.Will be sure to get it then as I don't currently have a BBO library with separate playable sections.

Last edited:
Voice count skyrockets like crazy
As I commented in that thread: huge chords with a huge amount of open mics can't but result in heavy CPU load. It's a linear consequence. But that shouldn't be normal use. If 'sketching', you don't need all the mics. If 'reinforcing' for realism, you don't write big chordal blocks.

Paolo

Does anyone else have an issue with Altair when using the velocity crossfade patches? When I move CC1 up through the 80 to 105 range, I get what sounds like quite a strong filter-sweep effect. The higher frequencies dip in volume and then come back up. It's especially prevalent on strings, some on woods, but not for brass.

To reproduce, load the VelFX sus patch, set to the strings long notes articulation, play a chord with right hand, then move your mod wheel up from 0 to 128. Doesn't matter the mics you use, it's there regardless of mics.

I want to know if other people have the same issue, before I log it with VSL. But I'm worried this is just a part of how the library has been programmed, or is severe phasing between layers. This seems like a basic function of the library that is a bit broken.

@Ben, is this something other people have reported?

You can try using the Vel F at 127 and use Timber Adjust instead like you would use it for modulation.
I guess I could, yes. But that's just a filter. I've never had to use a filter before to get around such an issue with layer cross-fading.

Plus it's the strings that seem most effected by this. Ensemble strings are far less susceptible to phasing issues with multiple dynamics layers. Which makes me suspect something is wrong with the Vel.FX control. It sounds like it's applying filters to the layers.

Do you get the same issue?

Support got back to me and said what I hear is the cross-fading between the low intensity and loud dynamics. Erm.... :shocked:

Anyway, seems they missed the point, even though I explained what I was hearing and gave them an audio example.

I'll post the example here, see what others think.

This is two chords. In each chord I go from 0 to 128 on CC1 (modwheel). Around 85 to 110, I hear very strong phasing or a filter effect, in the second half of each chord. Also the added dynamic layer just comes in at the same top volume as the lower dynamic layer.

I don't have any other string libraries that has such a strange crossfade. SSP doesn't behave at all like this with the crossfades... hence why I thought something was wrong in Altair. I tested the woods and brass again in the same way, and can't hear any effect like this with them.

Attachments

• VSL Altair VelXF Mod Example - Strings Longs.mp3
    271.4 KB
Support got back to me and said what I hear is the cross-fading between the low intensity and loud dynamics. Erm.... :shocked:

Anyway, seems they missed the point, even though I explained what I was hearing and gave them an audio example.

I'll post the example here, see what others think.

This is two chords. In each chord I go from 0 to 128 on CC1 (modwheel). Around 85 to 110, I hear very strong phasing or a filter effect, in the second half of each chord. Also the added dynamic layer just comes in at the same top volume as the lower dynamic layer.

I don't have any other string libraries that has such a strange crossfade. SSP doesn't behave at all like this with the crossfades... hence why I thought something was wrong in Altair. I tested the woods and brass again in the same way, and can't hear any effect like this with them.
Hi! I have heard back from Herb regarding this, and there should be a library update available soon, that should fix that.
Sorry, I'm not as available as usual right now, and I personally can't check everything as well, because I need a few days off to take a breath and spend some time with my family.

Hi! I have heard back from Herb regarding this, and there should be a library update available soon, that should fix that.
Sorry, I'm not as available as usual right now, and I personally can't check everything as well, because I need a few days off to take a breath and spend some time with my family.
Awesome, great to hear... and glad to know I wasn't going crazy! Thanks Ben!!

There's no rush on my part. :thumbsup: It was more the crossfades sounded so odd, I was surprised it hadn't been reported already. I've already responded to your support colleague's email before I saw your reply, sorry. Hopefully that doesn't confuse things.

Anyway, enjoy your Easter with family... and stop reading forums!! :)

Everyone needs downtime Ben and you are a wonderful ambassador for VSL. Enjoy your time off!

Everyone needs downtime Ben and you are a wonderful ambassador for VSL. Enjoy your time off!
Trusting you remain strong on adding Altair to Andromeda _ and perhaps Lyra, as well. Musca maybe not a strong as Lyra ? Your guidance, and demo examples, have been most helpful !!

Trusting you remain strong on adding Altair to Andromeda _ and perhaps Lyra, as well. Musca maybe not a strong as Lyra ? Your guidance, and demo examples, have been most helpful !!
you mean a playthru video? Ah... yeah... I started a new job.. I'm going to be a little busy for the next month. Hopefully, once I get settled in, I can do more of this playthrough videos

Last edited:
Hi @Ben,

I'm not sure if you are able to forward this to the website team, but it seems as though Altair is still not listed on VSL's BBO bundle page:

I recently purchased the bundle and received a licence for Altair, so I'm assuming it is just an oversight?

Kind regards,
Darren

Top Bottom