What's new

[NEW] Big Bang Orchestra Returns - BBO: Altair

I may be the one who cited the sketching potential of the BBO series, but it's just one of the uses they can serve for.

But what they are is ensemble patches, that add to a score the effect of an ensemble recording (the power or mass of a low brass section, or the whole orchestra playing the same note, or the individual players contributing to a complex texture, and so on).

Ensembles that are not monolithic, since you can reshape their internal balance by mixing the individual section microphones.

Paolo

Last edited:
How could anyone do anything but sketch with such limited articulations?. And then the other 2/3 of the series is tutti patches.

From the VI series Trumpet Ensemble - € 97 _ _ _ _From the BBO series Kopernikus - € 95

Capture.PNG

If you want big scary tutti patches, try using the MIDI transpose feature in your DAW and then select every track in your template. That ought to do the trick.

Last edited:
How could anyone do anything but sketch with such limited articulations?.
You mean legato regular and soft; longs regular, soft, and espressivo; spiccato bold and agile; marcato; sforzato and sforzatissimo; swells long and short; diminuendo; flutter tongue; half and whole tone trills; repititions at multiple speeds, and rips?

I think I could muddle through somehow. LOL

The weakness of the BBO isn't a lack of articulations (I'm fairly sure that list is as long as Berlin Brass'), it's the lack of individual instruments in the brass and woodwinds. That's where the Synchron Series comes in. But even using that as a basis for saying the entire BBO is nothing but a sketching tool would be a stretch.

Last edited:
How could anyone do anything but sketch with such limited articulations?. And then the other 2/3 of the series is tutti patches.
An admittedly quick skim of your post history shows almost exclusively negative commentary on products from VSL, EastWest, Orchestral Tools, Cinematic Studio Series, and Audiobro. Seems like maybe you only like Synchron Strings Pro?

Can we refocus on people exploring what Altair is, and not what they wish it was?

There are! Tana through Xenia are individual string sections pulled from SSP
I purchased Special Edition1 vol 1 over the last November sale and I am very happy with the sound. Do you think it pays to add Tana which is Synchron violins to replace the Synchronized violins of SE. Same with the violas, cellos and bass since it is on sale. In other words, is Synchron much better sounding than Synchronized. I only use longs and legato in my music.

I purchased Special Edition1 vol 1 over the last November sale and I am very happy with the sound. Do you think it pays to add Tana which is Synchron violins to replace the Synchronized violins of SE. Same with the violas, cellos and bass since it is on sale. In other words, is Synchron much better sounding than Synchronized. I only use longs and legato in my music.
Only you can know :) But SSP (and thus Tana etc) is fairly well loved. The SE strings are mostly classical in character, whereas SSP is a more modern character.

Or you could wait for Synchron Strings Pro sale and jump on it, though you will be able to upgrade from BBO strings to SSP anyway when there is SSP sale)

You have the Synchronized special edition? I think that paying even the reduced price of 65 each for the sections would still be better spent just going towards the 445 for the full SSP. Either option would expand what you already have with the Special Edition, it would all blend together and work very consistently without much hassle

You have the Synchronized special edition? I think that paying even the reduced price of 65 each for the sections would still be better spent just going towards the 445 for the full SSP. Either option would expand what you already have with the Special Edition, it would all blend together and work very consistently without much hassle
Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that I have the synchronied version of SE1. It is nice that I can try out just the Synchron violins and even return them if not satisfied which makes it easier to decide. I wish all libraries let you try out a small subset of instruments before deciding to purchase the full library. I could have saved a lot.

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that I have the synchronied version of SE1. It is nice that I can try out just the Synchron violins and even return them if not satisfied which makes it easier to decide. I wish all libraries let you try out a small subset of instruments before deciding to purchase the full library. I could have saved a lot.
I agree, it's one of VSL's major strengths, as well as consistency and quality control. It's good to know exactly what you're going to get.

I downloaded Altair today. While doing so, I noticed the following. I have the BBO Bundle (also paid only 49€ for Altair) and the Synchron Strings Bundle Standard.

Now I wanted to download Tania and the other strings (I know, they are included in the Synchron Strings), but if I have only the standard package, then I have more Mic Positions in BBO. Unfortunately I am missing the 5 strings sections in my download section.
Does anyone know about this?

Well after reading about negativity, or VSL praises I'll chime in. I was not originally interested in this lib. I thought is was 'not enough'. I finally broke down near the end of this opening sale. I am workin on something that needed a push to get a melody out, bring it up smoothly with intensity and bring it back to a brass timbre nicely. Enter Altair. I have to say first that I like the Synchron Player and this set. No it does not do it all, but it did do what I needed to bring a main melody out and enhance it. So I loved it. Good price and blends real nice. I have plenty to say negatively about VEP7 crashes, VSL limits, pricing craziness etc, but I wanted to mention how it helped me this time.

I downloaded Altair today. While doing so, I noticed the following. I have the BBO Bundle (also paid only 49€ for Altair) and the Synchron Strings Bundle Standard.

Now I wanted to download Tania and the other strings (I know, they are included in the Synchron Strings), but if I have only the standard package, then I have more Mic Positions in BBO. Unfortunately I am missing the 5 strings sections in my download section.
Does anyone know about this?
Correct. If you buy the bundle while already owning Synchron Brass, Synchron Strings Pro and / or Woodwinds, they adapt the price accordingly but also do not include overlapping libraries such as H, I, J, K in case of Brass, N, O, S in case of Woodwinds and T, U, V, W, and X in case of Strings. So there is no easy way to get those extra mic positions in the BBO “versions”. Then again, you bought the bundle without paying for them.

Correct. If you buy the bundle while already owning Synchron Brass, Synchron Strings Pro and / or Woodwinds, they adapt the price accordingly but also do not include overlapping libraries such as H, I, J, K in case of Brass, N, O, S in case of Woodwinds and T, U, V, W, and X in case of Strings. So there is no easy way to get those extra mic positions in the BBO “versions”. Then again, you bought the bundle without paying for them.
Hi Doc,

yes, I have received this information from VSL in the meantime. I am also fine with it, I was just not aware of it before.

At least I will keep the bundle price for future expansions, which is a good thing.

Hi Doc,

yes, I have received this information from VSL in the meantime. I am also fine with it, I was just not aware of it before.

At least I will keep the bundle price for future expansions, which is a good thing.
Great! And you have all the other instruments that come with BBO on top of the strings bundle! What an awesome collection Andy. I hope it’ll inspire you to make some lovely music and have tons of fun.

Top Bottom