What's new

Infinite Series (Aaron Venture) thread

Infinite Strings is out!!!

I do this for the thread elders who remember a dark time when such misleading posts brought many laughs and much misery to the masses. May we ever not repeat what I just did...... again.

Hi friends!

Though I've been away from this thread for some time... I still come here. Why, you ask? (I'm confident you did, in fact, ask), for the same reason I visit Aaron's site... fairly often, in fact. It is because I feel a void in the force.

Aaron, it's time.

It's time you start accepting your fate.
It's time to light the way to those of us who live in darkness.
It's time to give into your feelings and embrace what you know to be true.
It's time to feed your heard of sheep.
It's time to share the holy burrito.
It's time to give us the library we are looking for.

Yours truly,
A devoted fanboy

p.s. at least I came clean in the same post. None of us were that decent before.

I do this for the thread elders who remember a dark time when such misleading posts brought many laughs and much misery to the masses. May we ever not repeat what I just did...... again.

Hi friends!

Though I've been away from this thread for some time... I still come here. Why, you ask? (I'm confident you did, in fact, ask), for the same reason I visit Aaron's site... fairly often, in fact. It is because I feel a void in the force.

Aaron, it's time.

Yours truly,
A devoted fanboy

p.s. at least I came clean in the same post. None of us were that decent before.
I hope you experience mild irritation while sitting in somewhat bad traffic.

Hi friends!

Aaron, it's time.

Yours truly,
A devoted fanboy

I hope you stub your toe on the way in AND on the way out.

Hi friends!

Aaron, it's time.

Yours truly,
A devoted fanboy

Luckily I'm force sensitive and I didn't feel a disturbance in the force. So when I read your statement I already knew it was a trap.

- There is a LOT of low-end, and that sometimes makes the instrument sound a bit synthetic. I've had to remove the low-end quite a lot, through multiband compression or EQs. And at the same time, it's better that way than not having enough low-end, and I'm happy with it.
This is what we should be talking about. For instance, the bassoon sounds heavy on the low end -- anyone have an EQ scheme that is working well?

It would be a pity to envy the sound of Berlin Woodwinds Soloists if a simple EQ could be successful here...

Hi friends!

Aaron, it's time.

Yours truly,
A devoted fanboy

58162124.jpg

I remember a time when this group would actively go through Aaron’s garbage and flag any increases in pizza box counts as hopeful signs of the approach of infinite sunrises full of strings. We have long abandoned those hopes. This thread now feels like a dystopian abandoned lived-in world where only very few force-sensitive people still dwell, and mundane talk of the equalization of low-end-heavy bassoons is the norm…. oh how I long for those @El Buhdai demo’s full of Infinite Strings…. I have actually thought of bringing Muziksculp in here and have him stalk Aaron for a while. Look at his successes with TSS and Sonokinetic Strings… but maybe that would be a bit too draconian?

Last edited:
I remember a time when this group would actively go through Aaron’s garbage and flag any increases in pizza box counts as hopeful signs of the approach of infinite sunrises full of strings. We have long abandoned those hopes. This thread now feels like a dystopian abandoned lived-in world where only very few force-sensitive people still dwell, and mundane talk of the equalization of low-end-heavy bassoons is the norm…. oh how I long for those @El Buhdai demo’s full of Infinite Strings…. I have actually thought of bringing Muziksculp in here and have him stalk Aaron for a while. Look at his successes with TSS and Sonokinetic Strings… but maybe that would be a bit too draconion?
So you're saying IS will be released next month with a massive initial crossgrade discount, perfect tone, 69 different rooms, 420 possible articulations and bowing techniques 🤔

This is what we should be talking about. For instance, the bassoon sounds heavy on the low end -- anyone have an EQ scheme that is working well?

It would be a pity to envy the sound of Berlin Woodwinds Soloists if a simple EQ could be successful here...
I do feel like a simple EQ is a reasonable solution (details below). It worked for my personal taste in 1.4 and 1.5 - originally it was an attempt to match OT Teldex sound, but eventually I just grew to like the tone of the EQ and didn't worry about matching so precisely. I think it actually can make a HUGE difference in perceived tone quality of the library - anyone who has felt that "IB is great for workflow/playability, but not great for tone" should give this EQ thing a sincere try and with the right mic mix and post reverb, it might convert some people into believing the tone of IB is quite great.

Basically you can set up an EQ curve that creates a shallow tilt or a slope, peaking around mid high frequencies (maybe 1 - 3 kHz?) and bottoming out somewhere between 100-200 Hz. The difference between the peak (at 1-3 kHz) and bottom (at 100-200 Hz) could be as much as 10-12 dB, which sounds like a lot until you think of it like a slope, it's really only 3 dB per octave over 3 or 4 octaves. Then above 2-3 kHz, again a gentle rolloff or shelf, but doesn't dip as much as.

One downside is that this EQ is a little bit tweaky and sensitive - subtle changes to the shape of the slope can make a big difference (i.e. can affect the relative strength of the harmonics of the instrument). Personally I found it best to have a unique EQ per instrument type.

Basically you can set up an EQ curve that creates a shallow tilt or a slope, peaking around mid high frequencies (maybe 1 - 3 kHz?) and bottoming out somewhere between 100-200 Hz.
I think something similar to that, but in reverse, works to get a CSB type tone. I tried doing a somewhat tilt eq (two shelves) boosting lows and reducing highs, and to my ears it came pretty close to CSB.

... an attempt to match OT Teldex sound, but eventually I just grew to like the tone of the EQ and didn't worry about matching so precisely. I think it actually can make a HUGE difference in perceived tone quality of the library - anyone who has felt that "IB is great for workflow/playability, but not great for tone" should give this EQ thing a sincere try and with the right mic mix and post reverb, it might convert some people into believing the tone of IB is quite great.
This is so true! Not to derail the thread, but I had a similar episode trying to match some SWAM woodwinds to OT Revive, starting with applying EQ to the bare dry SWAM sound and matching it to only the "Close" mic with releases purged.

After repeated listening and A/B just to that mic, I realized just how sculpted the OT sound is!! I don't know the first thing about mixing or sound shaping but to me it sounds like there's EQ (low shelf at the minimum) and an exciter/tape saturation. And that's just the flutes!

I think something similar to that, but in reverse, works to get a CSB type tone. I tried doing a somewhat tilt eq (two shelves) boosting lows and reducing highs, and to my ears it came pretty close to CSB.
Wow, boosting lows in IB? Do you have an example, maybe a visual one, of the profile you'd use?

I would clearly cut the lows, based on what I've heard from the demos and IW

Wow, boosting lows in IB? Do you have an example, maybe a visual one, of the profile you'd use?

I would clearly cut the lows, based on what I've heard from the demos and IW
I'm away from my pc for some time, so won't be able to post any examples. Also this might be a subjective thing, cause I'm 98% a metal dude and like a scooped sound with pretty full low frequencies :D

(plus I'm pretty noobish with brass, so that also affects tonal decisions)

I would clearly cut the lows, based on what I've heard from the demo
To give some perspective, in the 1,6 video when Aaron shows the close and instrument mics for the horns, I find myself wanting a darker tone, so from there (and my preferred music) comes the low boost (which might be unnecessary and can probably be achieved better with cuts, but I'm an amateur dumb dumb, so don't take my eq comments seriously xD)

Hmmm nice suggestions. I’m already applying EQ to IB/IW but probably should set them in a far better way.
When I listen back to my tracks, I find too much frequency fights among instruments.
But I don’t own Berlin stuff (love the sound but too pricey) so I lack a reference EQ.

But I don’t own Berlin stuff (love the sound but too pricey) so I lack a reference EQ.
Okay, let's get real for a second.

I would tend to do exactly that: "I like the sound of that library, how can I make that library I own sound like that other library I don't own?".

We're just so, so caught up in VI world... How about we try to make our libraries sound like actual orchestras? As in, use real recordings as reference EQ? From different halls, why not?

Happens to me all the time, and I hate that.

And of course, you know, Teldex is a real hall, Synchron is a real hall, and we can definitely listen to real recordings in these halls, and Berlin or VSL give interesting snapshots of these halls. I don't want to not consider it :)

Anybody else getting worried that IS isn't lining up to AV's exacting standards for a technical reason that he can't figure out how to solve and he'd painted himself into a corner, terrified to admit that it'll be another year, minimum, because of the rabid anticipation we've built up over almost 300 pages of discussion?

That's the distinct vibe I'm getting, and I'm a little worried about the dude's mental health if I'm being honest.

Top Bottom