What's new

Infinite Series (Aaron Venture) thread

Anybody else getting worried that IS isn't lining up to AV's exacting standards for a technical reason that he can't figure out how to solve and he'd painted himself into a corner, terrified to admit that it'll be another year, minimum, because of the rabid anticipation we've built up over almost 300 pages of discussion?

That's the distinct vibe I'm getting, and I'm a little worried about the dude's mental health if I'm being honest.
I think you may be projecting...

Anybody else getting worried that IS isn't lining up to AV's exacting standards for a technical reason that he can't figure out how to solve and he'd painted himself into a corner, terrified to admit that it'll be another year, minimum, because of the rabid anticipation we've built up over almost 300 pages of discussion?

That's the distinct vibe I'm getting, and I'm a little worried about the dude's mental health if I'm being honest.
It’s ok, @aaronventure you don’t have to hide behind a sock puppet account. We support you no matter what. :2thumbs:

I personally have no expectation for a release date because

1) that’s what he says on the website, absolutely not even an ETA
2) I’m new here to Venture stuff so I don’t know better
3) it seems hard to do lol, also he’s updating his other products regularly

I’m happy with just brass for now. I’d rather a release that is in his opinion release-ready from a happy and healthy Aaron in 6 years than to compromise on anything like mental health or the quality of the product... which also affects mental health

I personally have no expectation for a release date because

1) that’s what he says on the website, absolutely not even an ETA
2) I’m new here to Venture stuff so I don’t know better
3) it seems hard to do lol, also he’s updating his other products regularly

I’m happy with just brass for now. I’d rather a release that is in his opinion release-ready from a happy and healthy Aaron in 6 years than to compromise on anything like mental health or the quality of the product... which also affects mental health
I somewhat agree, but actually I'd be keen to obtain a sort of alpha version and just let the updates come in time. That may not be a good business model in the music business though 😂

What makes strings more difficult to model perhaps is that there are four of them, and many ways to play one note. And many ways to transition between notes. That is probably a lot of logic and a lot of massaging.

Personally, I am expecting at least a few years, but again, I’m new.

Aaron mainly wrote these libraries for himself so I don't think he would feel some mental pressure caused by this thread. He does what what he want and once he is ready he will be happy to share with us their results.

I think he doesn't care about our struggle of using IS or every other update/new library but he listen to suggestions, advices and so on instead. And this is good.

What makes strings more difficult to model perhaps is that there are four of them, and many ways to play one note. And many ways to transition between notes. That is probably a lot of logic and a lot of massaging.

Personally, I am expecting at least a few years, but again, I’m new.
Well I don't think it will take years to be available, maybe it will need some time to be polished but even if it is higly probable the library will come in 2022 he would not have written 2021 on the official site if he had thought about many years of developing.

I could be wrong of course but I think the answer is in the middle.

I think we can safely assume a late 2021 or early 2022 release. If he knows that 2021 is impossible then why keep that release on the site?

"Infinite Strings are currently in development. There is currently no official release date, and no unofficial ETA." The giant '2021' is probably the closest to that unofficial ETA, so probably within 3-4 months of Jan 2022 is my totally ignorant guess.

I actually think we should all mentally prepare for the library to have some weak points and imperfections, just like any other strings library release in recent years. I'm worried that expectations have become too hyped to the extent that now there's nowhere to go except disappointment, and I'm worried that will stain and pigeonhole infinite strings before Aaron has a chance to make the library shine.

As I understand, this is how infinite brass and woodwinds became so beloved. It wasn't the first many versions that reached is potential. But Aaron has proven that we can trust his intentions to continue developing and improving the libraries and that's where the real awesomeness happened. So my faith in infinite strings is about what the library can be in the later versions, i.e. in a few years.

I actually think we should all mentally prepare for the library to have some weak points and imperfections, just like any other strings library release in recent years. I'm worried that expectations have become too hyped to the extent that now there's nowhere to go except disappointment, and I'm worried that will stain and pigeonhole infinite strings before Aaron has a chance to make the library shine.

As I understand, this is how infinite brass and woodwinds became so beloved. It wasn't the first many versions that reached is potential. But Aaron has proven that we can trust his intentions to continue developing and improving the libraries and that's where the real awesomeness happened. So my faith in infinite strings is about what the library can be in the later versions, i.e. in a few years.
I’m not expecting anything great, but I am expecting to pause on buying CSS until it’s released, just in case. Until then, CSW, possible CSB; IB, NSS and Vista!

I'm expecting it will be much the same as IW and IB. It will be amazingly playable and sound great. No doubt if you listen hard enough there will be synthiness in the legato and portamento but overall it will pass as real in the ears of noobs and be a dream to use. Compromise realness for playability/programmability. Easy peasy 👏

But people also understand that AV puts effort into them and does not forget about them. Therefore if people are unsatisfied they know that improvements are coming.

I wrote off IB as too synthy for me until a week ago when I heard it completely differently, at which point I decided to buy IB before CSB and see how the workflow was / how it sounded next to Abbey Road, which I’d layer it with. For the strings I’d plan to layer it as well. We’ll see, depending on the quality I may put off buying CSSS and use this instead, but I imagine I’ll be layering everything a lot and using Infinite for solo trumpet/horn/whatever else is good, and probably winding up with the full CS series for workflow and layering.

Alternatively, a breath controller for workflow! If the instruments work well enough, that would be a lot easier for me than a standard keyswitch library if it was just for workflow and not sound. A good one is $800, but I’m an oboist, so using my breath to control cc1 would be perfect as long as the Infinite series can keep up in sound.

Last edited:
I wrote off IB as too synthy for me until a week ago when I heard it completely differently, at which point I decided to buy IB before CSB and see how the workflow was / how it sounded next to Abbey Road, which I’d layer it with. For the strings I’d plan to layer it as well. We’ll see, depending on the quality I may put off buying CSSS and use this instead, but I imagine I’ll be layering everything a lot and using Infinite for solo trumpet/horn/whatever else is good, and probably winding up with the full CS series for workflow and layering.

Alternatively, a breath controller for workflow! If the instruments work well enough, that would be a lot easier for me than a standard keyswitch library if it was just for workflow and not sound. A good one is $800, but I’m an oboist, so using my breath to control cc1 would be perfect as long as the Infinite series can keep up in sound.
Where did you hear it completely differently?

Infinite Strings Facts:

1) Aaron is always silent before a major release. Keep Calm and Infinite.
2) Expect a synthy 1.0's that still exposes how broken other sampling philosophies are.
3) Expert 1.x updates that will end half the synthy concerns and utterly amaze most people.

Then... remember that even the best mock-ups require "Minecraft-sense-of-accomplishment" kinds of fine-tuning that aren't worth anything next to a tool that's more precise from a craftsman that's more honest in his dealings.

Infinite Strings Facts:

1) Aaron is always silent before a major release. Keep Calm and Infinite.
2) Expect a synthy 1.0's that still exposes how broken other sampling philosophies are.
3) Expert 1.x updates that will end half the synthy concerns and utterly amaze most people.

Then... remember that even the best mock-ups require "Minecraft-sense-of-accomplishment" kinds of fine-tuning that aren't worth anything next to a tool that's more precise from a craftsman that's more honest in his dealings.
Worth noting that Blakus's template has like over a hundred different libraries. Isn't the consensus that although Infinite requires pixelfudging amounts of massaging and programming, it still is less like building the Eiffel tower in Minecraft than getting similar results from traditional libraries? I'd rather fine-tune note placement and CCs than try and use half a dozen keyswitches to trick a Spitfire library into playing the part I want.

People say the philosophy of this series is flexibility over realism, but:

- flexibility IS realism, unless you exclusively compose trailer BRAAAMs or string pads over piano or whatever
- after the 1.X major updates, they're actually pretty damn realistic even without Blakus levels of attention to detail. Like, "could have fooled me" realistic, synthy moments few and far between.

Also worth noting that he's silent before major releases because he's usually silent in general 😂

I'd rather fine-tune note placement and CCs than try and use half a dozen keyswitches to trick a Spitfire library into playing the part I want.
That's a bit like saying "I'll take the less crappy candidate".

My goal with Infinite is to replicate what I have with StaffPad. It's Spitfire/Berlin libraries are far more agile than their desktop versions. The re-edited samples are slightly more Infinite-like, but even slightly makes for a huge time saver for me. What I don't love is using an app enslaved by an app-store. That inhibits up-time redundancy. I own two devices with SP, and it's still.... I can't even back it up. Ugh!

Infinite in Notion (I no longer focus on Dorico for composing, just engraving) is my goal. Notation relies entirely (unlike DAWs) on an instrument performing as human-like out of box, while also calling for agility. Which is well said in the following statement:

flexibility IS realism
I'd add... but only if it's humanized adequately and accurately enough. I'm not convinced Infinite gets this right, but I can appreciate how hard it is to effectively accomplish. I can also appreciate how hard it would be to balance given the nature of Aaron's ultra-flexible approach. I'm just saying I think human behavior is equal to flexibility when we're measuring how real Infinite sounds.

Top Bottom