What's new

Has anyone tried the MOMENTUM Program?

To learn from my errors in making the video, and to improve my knowledge of harp writing, are there any scores or resources that you recommend on the subject? I don't mean to have bad information in my teaching.
Answered here:

After doing my own research, I have decided to give ScoreClub a try. After quite a while on the internet, I really couldn't find many negative things about the course so I signed up and I am really excited to start this journey.

I do honestly want to thank everyone who participated in this thread, I know it got a little hot now and then but it's good to express opinions, and some facts. My goal was to call upon people who have more knowledge than I in this subject and the response and encouragement was great.

Thank you everyone.

In momentums defence, I don't think they state you'll be getting live teaching sessions with the people they list on there, although they definitely make it appear you do and they must know that. In the curriculum they say 'masterclasses', which just seems to be a word thrown around for any kind of session in the last few years, live or prerecorded.

1710929958226.png
Who is "Anne Kathring"? Is that a typo?

More than implication ... this is the ad unit they are currently running here in vi-control, and if Anne-Kathrin said she's no longer involved ... that's false advertising.
I agree. I understood @davidson to be pointing out that, in the 6-month schedule, input from “Anne Kathring” is promised only under “masterclasses”, and that masterclasses do not necessarily have to be live. My point was that live masterclasses (with Anne-Kathrin among others) are promised, by implication, because if they weren’t live then the issue of last-minute unavailability could hardly arise. The banner does indeed promise “mentoring” by her, but maybe pre-recorded mentoring is a thing these days?

Er, you all saw Dirk's post seven hours ago, right? No takers?
He said he couldn’t comment on the marketing.

I came across this on one of VI's banners. Looks interesting and was wondering if anyone had completed the full 6 months and had any thoughts on it. It's a bit pricy but I feel there is a lot of talent there. I'm looking at investing into something to get me on a film scoring career in my later years (one can only hope)
My two cents. I have happily purchased several of Marc's courses, including a large bundle package, the Dennis Sands mixing course, and "I am a Composer." If I recall, I paid about $100-$200 for each, and for every one of them, I felt I received very good value for the money I invested. NEVER ONCE did I feel scammed. The word "scam" seems a tad harsh here - though $14k seems sky-high when you can probably find many good courses for far less. Marc seems to invest in a lot of Facebook advertising, which might come across to some as aggressive, but that's never turned me off his stuff - in fact, that's how I found it. I have also purchased the Evenant course package (also very good) and Score Club (exceptional value for the quality of Alain's teaching.) His Orchestrating the Line module was pure gold. If you are curious about Marc's stuff, just watch his free YouTube videos to get a feel if it's worth your $.

My two cents. I have happily purchased several of Marc's courses, including a large bundle package, the Dennis Sands mixing course, and "I am a Composer." If I recall, I paid about $100-$200 for each, and for every one of them, I felt I received very good value for the money I invested. NEVER ONCE did I feel scammed. The word "scam" seems a tad harsh here - though $14k seems sky-high when you can probably find many good courses for far less. Marc seems to invest in a lot of Facebook advertising, which might come across to some as aggressive, but that's never turned me off his stuff - in fact, that's how I found it. I have also purchased the Evenant course package (also very good) and Score Club (exceptional value for the quality of Alain's teaching.) His Orchestrating the Line module was pure gold. If you are curious about Marc's stuff, just watch his free YouTube videos to get a feel if it's worth your $.
He mentioned in his ( too ) early video response a 27 $ course that unsurprisingly expired but he is still using that on the website as bait to collect emails with the promise of that promo eventually returning , the day he announced it on this forum at the beginning of march was the day it was supposed to " expire " lol . Those who subscribed to that are highly likely to be bombarded several times a day with other much more expensive offers . The you tube channel's content and the very annoying ads clearly show that the courses are over priced , the 15 k one is just over the top insane , the hyper aggressive marketing strategy and fake promises make sense and might be the only way to sell such over priced products .

Last edited:
He mentioned in his ( too ) early video response a 27 $ course that unsurprisingly expired but he is still using that on the website as bait to collect emails with the promise of that promo eventually returning , the day he announced it on this forum at the beginning of march was the day it was supposed to " expire " lol . Those who subscribed to that are highly likely to be bombarded several times a day with other much more expensive offers . The you tube channel's content and the very annoying ads clearly show that the courses are over priced , the 15 k one is just over the top insane , the hyper aggressive marketing strategy and fake promises make sense and might be the only way to sell such over priced products .
I've never seen the guy make fake promises, and I've found MANY of his YouTube videos very informative. If you buy a course and are inundated with emails, I would hope you have the good sense to unsubscribe. It isn't very hard.

I have never been inundated by emails from Marc. He and his team are very thoughtful and respect everyone’s time. Maybe I get one email a month…maybe.
I bet what you are referring to would probably be due to an oversight or timing from when the video was created to when I was published to YouTube. I have had this experience with others and that was typically the case, an oversight. If that was the case I’m sure if you ask they would honor the discount.
Not sure why people are being negative to spaying money for a course. If you were to go to Berklee or other program it would be way more expensive, end the online masters.
Marc is a born teacher and really cares about the people that enroll in his courses. I’m 1.5 years out and he’s still available to answer any questions or give me feedback on something.
Yes, there are definitely shysters out there. Marc is not that.

Not sure why people are being negative to spaying money for a course. If you were to go to Berklee or other program it would be way more expensive, end the online masters.
I think the issue for many people is his marketing strategy, which is a commonly used type of marketing for online entrepreneurs. Some people find it annoying. But, hey, the reason it's used is because it actually works. There are a couple of sample library developers who do an annoying kind of marketing, yet a lot of people hang on their every word...

There are always going to be haters. And I guess if the only thing you knew about Marc was his marketing strategy, you might be turned off. But I personally have seen enough of his YouTube videos to know he knows what he's talking about and is good at relaying the information. It doesn't hurt that he is also extremely experienced. I think he did something like five or six TV movies last year alone. So clearly he's doing something right.

If I were the type to spend money on tutorials, I'd snatch up his latest one (film scoring) right quick.

Marketing aside, I know Marc personally and have been a student of his and have even done a movie project with him. He is as high quality a human being as you will find, is an objectively talented composer/musician and a very effective and caring teacher who actually wants to help his students and provides very high quality instruction. As was previously mentioned, you can always unsubscribe if you are not in the market for what he provides, but if you are, he is a great teacher and I'm confident most people will learn helpful skills from his instruction.

I think he did something like five or six TV movies last year alone.
That's pretty standard for anyone doing movies of the week tbh. The upfront is so low you need to crank out quantity so you pull in the backend to make it worthwhile. Not to mention most turn arounds are about 3ish weeks per film.

That's pretty standard for anyone doing movies of the week tbh. The upfront is so low you need to crank out quantity so you pull in the backend to make it worthwhile. Not to mention most turn arounds are about 3ish weeks per film.
I suspect a lot of people here would love to be doing them.

Scoring a film is a lot more complicated than simply writing music. There's a whole technical set of skills that you really only learn by either doing it yourself or assisting someone who does... Spotting the film with the director, working with evolving timecode, having a template set up to print & deliver stems in a systematic way, expectations that revisions can be around the corner at any moment because the odds of getting to score a locked picture might as well be zero, or a cue wasn't up to snuff and some changes need to be made...
Your post made me recall a video series I began watching a while back but, due to work and life, had yet to finish -- I think I will go back and start from the beginning - I think there are 9 parts in all

For those interested, here is Part 1:

While my goal is not scoring to picture, I find it an amazing skill that those who do it have -- I just want to keep getting better and try to round out the hard edges of my compositions coming from a rock guitar background

Top Bottom