What's new

Adachi: Important update, 8Dio threatens reviewers and competing devs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarah Mancuso

Esselfortium
Update January 2023: If you are looking into buying Adagio/Agitato/Anthology due to Adachi, I strongly suggest you reconsider and look elsewhere for your orchestral strings needs. My own interactions with 8Dio and what I have been told about them by others has led me to the realization that they are a completely amoral company, and I regret having ever purchased any of their products or given them free sales by releasing my work here. If you don't believe me, listen to Cory Pelizzari, who was threatened by them for simply posting a review they didn't like.

edit:
EvilDragon, Daniel James, and Anne Dern have also since spoken out about their experiences with 8Dio. Also, a more recent update from Cory.

I've also updated the thread title to be clearer.

Original post is below:
Info on latest update: https://www.vi-control.net/communit...pdate-and-more-on-page-12.116094/post-4955044

Last year I picked up Adagio Legacy via the now-popular $8 crossgrade from Anthology. While I could understand why it had been retired, I was awed by its wealth of beautiful content. So much so that I was inspired to learn KSP scripting and build a completely new legato script to house its samples. The result of that work is Adachi, a set of custom legato patches for these very underrated strings, rebuilt and re-scripted from the ground up.

Adachi feature overview:
  • Switch to any legato or sustain type at any time in a musical phrase: no more patch juggling
  • Set up your own articulation switching via keyswitches, velocity, and/or speed
  • Onscreen descriptions of each legato type, to help navigate them all
  • Adagio and Agitato recordings can be mixed and matched freely for even more variety
  • Individually retimed legato samples for better timing consistency
  • Uses more length from each legato sample, for buttery smooth transitions
  • Custom manually-configured crossfades for every possible combination of legato and sustain (and there are hundreds of combinations!)
  • Automatic delay for faster legato types, to minimize “MIDI sliding” required
  • More dynamic layers used than the original legato patches, where possible
  • Smooth filtering for faux dynamics
  • Start musical phrases with arcs, not just basic sustains
  • No need to overlap notes for legato, letting their edges touch is enough
See below for downloads and audio demos.

Using Adachi:
Adachi is my attempt to enhance Adagio Legacy's workflow and squeeze more life out of its great recordings. Adachi is focused on legato only, meant to be used alongside a full set of articulations from Anthology or Adagio Legacy.

In Adachi, blue keyswitches change legato types, red keyswitches change sustain types, and purple keyswitches are mapped to change both at the same time. You can map multiple articulations to the same keyswitch, using the velocity and speed settings. I’ve provided several of these pre-made “articulation stacks” for many of the instruments. All of this is fully customizable in the UI.

Features:
Adachi utilizes recordings from both Adagio Legacy and the Agitato bundle, as they were recorded in the same space with the same number of players.

I’ve set it up to allow switching to any legato or sustain type at any point in a musical phrase. It’s also fully customizable so that you can do this via keyswitches, velocity, speed, or any combination of those methods.The ensemble violins are the biggest section here, with 13 different types of legato and countless types of sustains, all accessible from one patch. The ensemble violas and ensemble cellos are nearly as hefty. This ability to freely combine material allows for an extreme and possibly unprecedented level of control in shaping musical phrases.

I’ve manually set up custom legato crossfades for every possible combination of legato type and sustain type (of which there are hundreds of possible combinations). In some cases, the transitions in Adachi should sound better than their equivalents in Anthology or Adagio Legacy.

Beyond that, I’ve painstakingly retimed many of the legato transition samples, one at a time, so that they play more consistently from one note to the next. I’ve given particular focus to many of the round-robin transition types, to make their repetitions more reliable and agile. I’ve also corrected some instances of inconsistent volume between different note transitions.

I’ve used three dynamic layers for basic sustains wherever possible, instead of the 2 used in the original patches. Vibrato blending is implemented for the basic Sustain type, and artificial dynamics filtering has been implemented to further shape the various prerecorded arcs.

Most legatos in Adachi are timed to around 240ms of delay, which allows for a good amount of the transition sample to play through. Shorter legato types like Fast Feathered are automatically delayed via scripting to line up with the others. This should limit the amount of tiny MIDI adjustments that are required for timing. Portamentos and a few longer legato types (ET and Dolce in the ensemble violins) may still need adjustment in some cases, this is a compromise to keep a delay length that’s still reasonably playable and responsive.

As there are many different legato types available in Adachi, I’ve also added onscreen descriptions of each legato type, sourced from the Adagio manuals and from my own observations. These will hopefully help to convey the differences between them at a glance.

Disclaimers:
Adachi is a work in progress. A few of the legato types and some of the sustain arcs have not yet been ported over to Adachi. A few instruments have not been ported over at all (solo violin, solo viola, and sordino basses). In addition, a few of the instruments use an older dynamics-filtering setup that IMO doesn’t sound as convincing, though I haven’t had any issues mixing and matching the newer and older types in the same music.

You may encounter some minor issues that haven’t yet been resolved. There is a known bug with the keyswitch editing GUI, so if you’ve made changes and they don’t seem to have applied yet, clicking the Sort button should get things working as expected again.

Owning both Adagio Legacy (Adagio 1.6) and the Agitato bundle is recommended for use of Adachi. (If you don't own Agitato, you can use Adachi with Adagio and Anthology instead, but some articulations will not play.) If you're having trouble getting Adachi to load, this post by djDarkX shows how to use symlinks to get Kontakt to consistently find your samples for Adachi every time.

As this is a hobby project that I do on the side when I’m not busy with other obligations, I can’t promise any support on it, and I can’t offer any timeline for updates.

Please do not bother 8Dio support about any problems you run into with Adachi. This isn't their responsibility (of course). This is a fan project based on a discontinued product.

Downloads and audio demos:
Here are some audio demos I've written using Adachi:
Clip 1: Full ensembles
Clip 2: Full ensembles with loures and solo bass
Clip 3: Early alpha test with ensemble violins
Clip 4: Con Sord ensembles
Clip 5: Full ensembles with round-robin legato

Download of the current instrument versions:
(Download)

Adachi requires Kontakt 6.6, and requires Adagio 1.6 ("Adagio Legacy") and the Agitato bundle for full functionality.

I genuinely think these are still some of the best strings on the market. If you already own Adagio but haven't used it lately, maybe this will inspire you to give it another chance. Adagio has become one of my favorite libraries while working on Adachi, and maybe it will become one of yours, too!

If you'd like to donate to support this project, you can do so via this link. Thank you!

Last edited:
I've gotten the Violin Ensemble patch and honestly, it's amazing. 8Dio's samples with these patches is just...glorious and you have SO much control. Highly recommend if you own the products and want some soaring, beautiful string passages.

Last year I picked up Adagio Legacy...

When you mentioned the idea of trying to sort through all of this, back whenever it was, I didn't imagine this is what you meant. But you went 'all-in'.

Mind blown...and I've not even heard it yet.

Guessing Agitato will see an upsurge in sales ;)

Thanks for this :2thumbs:

Thank you for sharing this, Sarah! This is really great. I’ve had an opportunity to play with these as they have been going through the last stages of development, and they are fabulous. So many legatos and sustains to choose from! Adachi is now the first library I reach for when writing legato string lines.

Adachi is functional and quite nice with only Adagio legacy (I first tried it this way), but the additional content from Agitato is definitely worth it, especially if you can add it at 55% or 65% off.

Very nice Sarah.

I already have Anthology, Adagietto and Agitato Sordino. Now i need the $8 crossgrade to the old Adagio Legacy and all three Agitato Grandiose libs? Do you think just getting Agitato Grandiose Violins instead of all three Agitato Grandiose would work too? Or do the Grandiose Violas and Cellos add substantial value? Just getting the Grandiose Violins would be cheaper :)

Very nice Sarah.

I already have Anthology, Adagietto and Agitato Sordino. Now i need the $8 crossgrade to the old Adagio Legacy and all three Agitato Grandiose libs? Do you think just getting Agitato Grandiose Violins instead of all three Agitato Grandiose would work too? Or do the Grandiose Violas and Cellos add substantial value? Just getting the Grandiose Violins would be cheaper :)
I think it's worth having all of the Agitato material, personally. In addition to Grandiose and Sordino, Adachi also makes use of Agitato Arpeggio for its "Fast Feathered" transitions, which are great for more agile parts (or just as an additional option to shape phrases with).

Thanks for these. Just curious about the origin of the name. Do you know Adachi Bijitsukan? Its one of the most beautiful places I've been to but its in Matsue (so other side of Japan from Tokyo) and not many people get to visit there. Its a lovely place (the video isn't the best representation).

Thanks for these. Just curious about the origin of the name. Do you know Adachi Bijitsukan? Its one of the most beautiful places I've been to but its in Matsue (so other side of Japan from Tokyo) and not many people get to visit there. Its a lovely place.

That looks like a beautiful spot!

There's no impressive story behind the name. I named it Adachi after having watched Adachi to Shimamura early this year and thinking I ought to keep up the Adagio tradition and go with an "A" name for it.

Ah! I see. Adachi bijitsukan is a great place to visit if you ever go to Japan. Quite a unique experience you can add to your bucket list. I'm not a big anime fan, but of the ones I've seen, they do convey quite a lot of the Japanese culture (focus on positivity, appreciation and self-discipline) that the rest of the world could benefit from now. And again, thanks for sharing these. That's the spirit.

BTW, I highly recommend 2CAudio Precedence for placing Adagio's center-panned sections in situ. I used it in the demo clips posted above, and it's part of my standard setup when using Adachi. It manages to preserve the open and airy feel of the original recordings without boxing them in.

Sounds great, but I can't wrap my head around what's needed - found the Agitato bundle, but what is the other one? One has to buy the Anthology first, then crossgrade, or is there any other product called Adagio Legacy?

Sounds great, but I can't wrap my head around what's needed - found the Agitato bundle, but what is the other one? One has to buy the Anthology first, then crossgrade, or is there any other product called Adagio Legacy?
"Adagio Legacy" is the original Adagio product that Anthology is primarily based on. It has a lot more content than Anthology does, which Adachi takes advantage of. It's no longer officially sold or supported, but as an Anthology owner you can use 8Dio's support chat to get it by paying an $8 crossgrade fee.

Reactions: RMH
"Adagio Legacy" is the original Adagio product that Anthology is primarily based on. It has a lot more content than Anthology does, which Adachi takes advantage of. It's no longer officially sold or supported, but as an Anthology owner you can use 8Dio's support chat to get it by paying an $8 crossgrade fee.
Thanks! Your work is awesome, and the demos sound better than most of the official new products heading to release :2thumbs:

I don't have Agitato but I successfully opened the Solo Bass and its very nice!

How much will Agitato add? Right now, it seems a bit expensive ($248)

I don't have Agitato but I successfully opened the Solo Bass and its very nice!

How much will Agitato add? Right now, it seems a bit expensive ($248)
You can follow the instructions in this video to get Kontakt to load it successfully with only the Adagio and Anthology content, and if you pick up Agitato in the future you can go back to the unmodified Adachi patches.

(It should go without saying that without Agitato, some articulations in Adachi will not play.)

Note that Adachi's ensemble violins patch has a lot of extra sustain types that aren't mapped to any keys by default (because there are just so many!), but can be set up from the keyswitch builder UI. So some of the Agitato-exclusive material is hiding in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom