What's new

Adachi: Important update, 8Dio threatens reviewers and competing devs

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best way to fake 2nd Violins with Adachi (if possible)?
transpose +x in kontakt and -x in daw?

What is the best way to fake 2nd Violins with Adachi (if possible)?
transpose +x in kontakt and -x in daw?
You can do that, or you can just make sure that if you're ever playing the same notes in unison on the 1sts and 2nds, you give them each a different legato type and sustain type for that part. That way you can ensure different samples are used without having to transpose anything.

I don't often write V1+V2 playing the exact same part, and I think if I wanted to I'd probably just use a single track for it instead of two.

I finally caved and bought the rest of the Agitato series, and I used the idea from @synthetic to put all of the 8Dio string libs in one folder, and it finally worked!

The last thing that I am trying to understand is the rows. What does selecting them actually do? Also, I can't seem to key switch a sustain patch, or actually make any sustain appear. I'll keep playing with this, and I love the sound! It's magical.

Scarlet Jerry

I finally caved and bought the rest of the Agitato series, and I used the idea from @synthetic to put all of the 8Dio string libs in one folder, and it finally worked!

The last thing that I am trying to understand is the rows. What does selecting them actually do? Also, I can't seem to key switch a sustain patch, or actually make any sustain appear. I'll keep playing with this, and I love the sound! It's magical.

Scarlet Jerry
Selecting rows in the keyswitch builder is currently only used for the "Automap" function, to automatically map the selected rows to a single key or to a range of keys. It doesn't relate to performance.

The different sustain types you can keyswitch to are, by default, combined with the legatos -- you pick a legato type and a sustain type and Adachi puts them together. You can use the Disable Legato button to play basic sustains without the legato functionality.

Another update. This one (hopefully) fixes a hanging notes bug that was introduced recently, adds some more content to the ensemble cellos (including two of the unused legato types discovered recently), and adds same-note rebowing to all four ensemble sections.

(Rebowing is not yet added to chamber or solo instruments.)

Same download URL as usual: https://esselfortium.net/ksp/adachi/Adachi.zip

Full changelog:
11/03/21: Hopefully fixed the hanging notes bug.
11/03/21: Cello ens: Added two more soft dynamic arcs.

11/02/21: Cello ens: Implemented previously-unreleased Placido and Dolente legato types.

11/01/21: Modified release behavior to not skip releases on short post-legato notes

10/31/21: Added same-note rebowing to all four Ensemble sections
10/31/21: Bass ens: Fixed buggy dynamics on some mics of some artics
10/31/21: Violins ens: Additional timing cleanup of Village legato
10/31/21: Violins ens: Modified sync delays on some legato types

@Sarah Mancuso Incredible job, thanks!

I've got a small question about the arcs. Would it make sense to make their speed adjustable through Kontakt's Time Machine?
Unfortunately, it would cause a lot of problems. The legato crossfades are dependent on the exact playback speed remaining the same (so it can expect to be at a certain point in the arc by a certain point in the crossfade), these samples seem to stretch poorly to begin with (see the Loures), and it would blow up the already-somewhat-high RAM usage a lot further by needing to load the entire samples into memory rather than just the start of them.

Unfortunately, it would cause a lot of problems. The legato crossfades are dependent on the exact playback speed remaining the same (so it can expect to be at a certain point in the arc by a certain point in the crossfade), these samples seem to stretch poorly to begin with (see the Loures), and it would blow up the already-somewhat-high RAM usage a lot further by needing to load the entire samples into memory rather than just the start of them.
Ah, I guess we can't have everything. Anyway, thanks again for all the unbelievable effort you've put into this project. :)

@Sarah Mancuso ,

Your Adachi Project is surely boosting 8Dio Sales of Adagio, and Agitato Libraries. :emoji_sunglasses:

Oh.. I haven't installed the latest Adachi update. Looking forward to the install, and check the new Rebowing feature. But it's not yet implemented for the Chamber, and Solo Instruments. So, will get them when you post those.

One thing that took me a while to figure out, maybe this helps someone: The first note you play is the sustain. So if your sustain is set to "Arc p-mf" (like the purple keyswitches on Ens Cellos), and you play eighth notes, the first note might be barely audible and the second note might be a loud legato transition note, which doesn't sound nice. Set the sustain to "Looped Sustain Agitato" or something and the first note will be strong enough to keep up with the others. See the attached image, I added one sustain keyswitch to D#0 to make this work.

If you're new to Adagio, the "Agitato" keyswitches are the fastest and most-aggressive. "Anthology" after that, and the original "Adagio" are generally the softest.

Attachments

• Adachi: Important update, 8Dio threatens reviewers and competing devs
    Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 1.03.32 PM.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
One thing that took me a while to figure out, maybe this helps someone: The first note you play is the sustain. So if your sustain is set to "Arc p-mf" (like the purple keyswitches on Ens Cellos), and you play eighth notes, the first note might be barely audible and the second note might be a loud legato transition note, which doesn't sound nice. Set the sustain to "Looped Sustain Agitato" or something and the first note will be strong enough to keep up with the others. See the attached image, I added one sustain keyswitch to D#0 to make this work.

If you're new to Adagio, the "Agitato" keyswitches are the fastest and most-aggressive. "Anthology" after that, and the original "Adagio" are generally the softest.
I realise the same then i thought it would probably make more sense to have the Looped Sus Agitato on D0 and have the 3 layer sustain on D0#(interchange the the 1st 2 red keys basically). It just makes more sense imo. And other benefit is when you use the performance patch(purple keys) then the sustain automatically goes back to D0 which, like you said, works better in general. I'm waiting for the finale version to try that.

Hi @Sarah Mancuso ,

I installed the latest version of the Adachi patches with the Rebow feature.

All the patches load fine, except for the Celli Ens. Legato patch, it keeps showing missing samples message. I'm not sure what to do ? Anything you recommend doing to fix this ?

* I noticed that it is looking for the Cellos v1 folder, I don't have the version 1 folder, but have been using the v2 folder, previously this worked, but not anymore, since it seems to need he V1 folder.

I checked my 8dio account, and I have an Adagio Cellos vol. 1.6 that I could download. I'm guessing I need to download this to access the proper sample pool for the Cellos.

Can you please provide some feedback on this.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

Last edited:
Hi @Sarah Mancuso ,

I installed the latest version of the Adachi patches with the Rebow feature.

All the patches load fine, except for the Celli Ens. Legato patch, it keeps showing missing samples message. I'm not sure what to do ? Anything you recommend doing to fix this ?

* I noticed that it is looking for the Cellos v1 folder, I don't have the version 1 folder, but have been using the v2 folder, previously this worked, but not anymore, since it seems to need he V1 folder.

I checked my 8dio account, and I have an Adagio Cellos vol. 1.6 that I could download. I'm guessing I need to download this to access the proper sample pool for the Cellos.

Can you please provide some feedback on this.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

if I’m not mistaken the newest version of the cellos patch has the additional legatos that are in Adagio 1.6. Those are likely the ones that are missing and you are only having an issue now because they were recently added.

if I’m not mistaken the newest version of the cellos patch has the additional legatos that are in Adagio 1.6. Those are likely the ones that are missing and you are only having an issue now because they were recently added.
Hmm... Adagio Cellos was only updated to 1.5, as far as I know -- that's the version I have, in any case.

BTW, currently working on some refinements for the Placido and Dolente legatos. The recordings have a lot of inconsistencies in dynamics, so I'm going through one sample at a time and making gain adjustments so they play more consistently. Will also do another pass at their start points probably soonish, as the timings aren't as tight as I'd like them to be.

Thanks.

I'm going to download Adagio Cellos Ver 1.6 and see if this resolves the issue.

@Sarah Mancuso , I don't have Adagio Cellos ver 1.5 in my Downloads, only ver 1.6 is available.

Anyways, I will be testing with ver 1.6. Hopefully it works

Hmm... Adagio Cellos was only updated to 1.5, as far as I know -- that's the version I have, in any case.

BTW, currently working on some refinements for the Placido and Dolente legatos. The recordings have a lot of inconsistencies in dynamics, so I'm going through one sample at a time and making gain adjustments so they play more consistently. Will also do another pass at their start points probably soonish, as the timings aren't as tight as I'd like them to be.
Don't know how you do it. :faint:

Minor update posted with more usable versions of Placido and Dolente in the ensemble cellos. Haven't retimed the start points yet, but they're already feeling a lot more consistent and playable than they were with some gain adjustments and more flattering (read: less exposing) crossfade settings.

This update is for the ensemble cellos only, the other patches haven't changed since this morning's version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom