What's new

Why does Hans Zimmer only use PC as main sequencer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it was not the primary method more than 10 years ago but to claim that Mac has no right click is just ignorant junk that PC-Only people keep parroting.
I use generic soft click mice and aside from initially setting up the right click, I never have to worry about this. Yeah I don't mind compelling arguments for PC/Windows but this is empty rhetoric re: right click.

Reactions: EgM
The most money I ever spent on a DAW was Garage Band and it came with an iPad in 2010.

iPad is now basically a reader and no apps can be updated.

Meanwhile my old Intel 4790 system that I built has the modern software on it .

Once again Apple is a hardware company and that's how they make money. Once again PC/Mac DAW users are a speck of dust on this planet. PC would suck if it weren't for it being the top gaming platform.

MS being Apple like with requiring that toilet paper module for Windblows 11 is not working in their favor for upgrading.

Those Mac cheese graters are iconic and probably the biggest mistake made by Apple since people held on to them. At one time I wanted a refurbished one.

One thing for sure is Apple and MS seem to swap their bad ideas.

So humbucker vs. single coil sound? Which is the best?

Analog vs. digital?

Would a 3 pickup Tele be similar to using a Strat - actually interested in this one sin I like the Tele body.

I look at it as “cost per use”. For example, I spent $3k on a 2013 MacBook Pro in 2013. I used the purchase money from a single gig I did (film score) at the time. That laptop helped earn me an average of $20k per year until 2021. It was reliable as hell, and to this day still owes me nothing. Heck, it owed me nothing right after I bought it in 2013. In 2021 I upgraded to a 2020 iMac, which has been chugging along nicely ever since, and like the MacBook, literally owes me nothing. Of course, there are some minor annoyance with OS upgrades, etc, but in the big scheme of things, I really don’t care because the machine performs and gets me to the deadlines without any headaches. Prior to 2013 and before owning my first Mac, it was constant headaches for years, struggling with PC components failing and goofy windows annoyances. But at the end of the day, pick your poison and go with the devil you know.

I’m sure Hans Zimmer could care less what platform he’s on, as long as Cubase runs smooth and gets the job done.

I have 6 Mac laptops from 6 month to 12 years still running. I' ve thrown away 3 PC laptops in that time...
Funny how experiences can differ. I had one MacBook Pro in my life. Loved the trackpad (never owned a Laptop with a trackpad that good). There was a problem with the graphic chip after 5 years or so, which apparently was a well known problem with the 2011 Macbook. Brought the Macbook to a store nearby and they replaced the chip. One year later or so the replacement chip also died. Went to the store again and was told there's only one replacement per customer and there is no way they even could replace the chip, because they were not available anymore. Also the support for my Macbook (Os updates or whatever. Can't remember) would run out in a year anyway. That was the very moment I swore to never buy Apple again. The Macbook was still working fine except for that fucking chip. I'm not a fan of this throwaway mentality, plus those things are expensive af. One of the most ridiculous things I've ever experienced. I miss that trackpad tho...

Funny how experiences can differ. I had one MacBook Pro in my life. Loved the trackpad (never owned a Laptop with a trackpad that good). There was a problem with the graphic chip after 5 years or so, which apparently was a well known problem with the 2011 Macbook. Brought the Macbook to a store nearby and they replaced the chip. One year later or so the replacement chip also died. Went to the store again and was told there's only one replacement per customer and there is no way they even could replace the chip, because they were not available anymore. Also the support for my Macbook (Os updates or whatever. Can't remember) would run out in a year anyway. That was the very moment I swore to never buy Apple again. The Macbook was still working fine except for that fucking chip. I'm not a fan of this throwaway mentality, plus those things are expensive af. One of the most ridiculous things I've ever experienced. I miss that trackpad tho...
Apple isn't any different than any other company in that you can get a bad sales/help desk person. I've had a similar experience then called support and had the person approve and expedite the case. For the most part I've had really good experiences with apple care, from replacing power supplies for $200 on a ten year old mac pro to replacing an $1100 screen and logic board for $350.

That’s why I like AppleCare. If you had it on your laptop, they would have just given you a new one.

The most money I ever spent on a DAW was Garage Band and it came with an iPad in 2010.

iPad is now basically a reader and no apps can be updated.

Meanwhile my old Intel 4790 system that I built has the modern software on it .
You're comparing a first gen iPad, which is basically an appliance, to a custom PC system that you built?

A more apt comparison would be comparing an iPad to one of the hundreds of other tablets that have been released since then from other companies. Most of those were already obsolete on the very same day that they were announced.

iPads have a pretty good lifespan, and they receive support from Apple for many years.

G4 died, G5 died, MacBook Pro n1 died, MacBook Pro n2 died
Usually power supply failures and other fun things, these expensive mistakes lasted a couple of years each more or less until I finally left the sinking ship.
Still have old PCs around ready to go and alive and well

I have 6 Mac laptops from 6 month to 12 years still running. I' ve thrown away 3 PC laptops in that time...
We all know hardware lasts forever on Apple products yo the point that you can find dozens of refurbished Apple products (iPads, Laptops) sold as new.

But you ommited the OS update, it's like saying your 1968 Foat still runs, but you can't circulate on it due to current laws. Here I am with a beautiful iPad pro which I can't install 30% of the apps I used to, but hey! Still powers on.

So it's not a question of numbers.

Going back to Cubase on PC vs Mac. I have seen that the performance on Mac for Cubase hosting VST3 is not very good at least compared to Logic or DP. Even a project idle eats up significant CPU. How does Cubase on PC fare in regard to performance, especially when idle, comparing similar state of the art setups?

Last edited:
You're comparing a first gen iPad, which is basically an appliance, to a custom PC system that you built?

A more apt comparison would be comparing an iPad to one of the hundreds of other tablets that have been released since then from other companies. Most of those were already obsolete on the very same day that they were announced.

iPads have a pretty good lifespan, and they receive support from Apple for many years.
I’m still using my Air 2 from 2013.

Facepalm.jpg

We all know hardware lasts forever on Apple products yo the point that you can find dozens of refurbished Apple products (iPads, Laptops) sold as new.

But you ommited the OS update, it's like saying your 1968 Foat still runs, but you can't circulate on it due to current laws. Here I am with a beautiful iPad pro which I can't install 30% of the apps I used to, but hey! Still powers on.

So it's not a question of numbers.
Well, Mac OSX 10.6.8 on my oldest ones, 10.13 on my 10 year old Air, Sonoma on my newest M2. All of them running the software I was using at the time of purchase. Cubase, Logic, Finale. And: ALL of them are also running the latest (!) version of Reaper. Macbook Air also runs the latest DP and FL Studio just for fun (on a ten year old Macbook, take that, Steinberg!). Though I usually don't need the latest version of bugs that come with a software upgrade, so most of the time I'm a bit behind. That being said, Logic started crashing the first time ever in my life after updating both Logic and OS to the latest version...

And I can't even upgrade my W10 PC to W11 because MS no longer "supports" the processor of that machine...

Oh vey...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom