What's new

VEPro & Logic Setup - Is this the best way?

since its working fine for me and numerous other people, then yes it must be. What version off LogicPro are you trying to use? What template did you start with? did you misconfigure the Plugin manager in LogicPro? etc... I have no idea what AU3 program you are talking about, there is no such thing.

The VE Pro AU3 program doesn't even launch.

And no, it's not pilot error, just sayin'.
Just a note... You need High Sierra 10.13.6 or higher OS X version to run AU3.
If you use a proper OS X version and a latest Logic version with a good AU3 environment (Channel Strip) VEP Port settings then AU3 must run without problems.

did you mess up your Plugin Manager setting?

what is the AU3 program you mentioned "doesn't even launch?"

This guy.

1582586921763.png

The AU3 plug-in was greyed out when I tried it a few months ago. It seems to load and connect to the regular server now, so maybe the problem has changed.

I"ve re-downloaded it several times and done the usual Mac dance. And you either were or weren't supposed to check AU3 mode in the plug-in manager. That wasn't it.

It doesn't really matter, because I don't need to send lots of MIDI channels to one instance. There was a demo Logic Project with it set up, and it just loaded with the plug-in greyed out. I don't know whether I have it anymore.

the checkbox in PluginManager should NOT be checked, counter-intuitive I know, but that is the case.

You should also NOT use any demo LPX projects provided by VSL as they had problems too. If you want a template to start out with, use the one I made. This is not VSL's fault, Apple introduced bugs in 10.4.5 related to opening projects that were created prior to 10.4.5. I can't remember the details now, but I found problems with their demo projects when I first got into this, which is part of why i created a new blank template project, mentioned earlier, which you should use if you want to try it. VSL ought to recreate a new version of that demo project, but they never have.

Regarding that AU3 Application you mentioned, I forgot about that.. I never figured out what that was for and never used it, you don't need it. I'm not at all sure what it is, but you don't need it and shouldn't waste time with it.

Is the AU3 plugin still greyed out? Is it because its disabled? Enable it. Make sure the number of audio outputs is configured properly. I vaguely recall some people had some weird issues like that when it first came out, which might have been fixed by updates or might have been fixed by simply checking all the settings, don't remember now but I haven't seen that behavior since the first week it came out, it happened to me and I got past it. Never happened again since then.

if you don't need this capability then its a moot point. but still, I'm confident it can be made to work on your system.

Okay, thanks. No, the AU3 plug-in is not greyed out now - and it was originally, regardless of whether I used their template or not. Will read up on how to do it again - not because I need it but because it annoys me that it's not working. :)

My guess is that the program above is the stand-alone AU3 host, i.e. not the server.

Thanks!

its possible that VePro server is launching that somehow, but I've never seen it automatically launched in my dock anytime I've used any of this... its a good question for Martin

Actually, the AU3 plug-in is now connecting to the server, which it never did before.

So I take back what I said about it not working. It obviously is now.

mine is free!

Its also not using any tricky macros or scripts. Just normal simple routing to make use of all 768 channels supported directly by VePro7 AU3

mine is free!

Its also not using any tricky macros or scripts. Just normal simple routing to make use of all 768 channels supported directly by VePro7 AU3
There are no Macros no Scripts. There are thousands of AG users who own VEPM v2 and can confirm that. All is direct and powered by native Logic Art Sets features.
As I said before - you must learn a lot about Environment and many other Logic advanced hints.

Last edited:
How do you do achieve 8000 tracks per VePro instance? Obviously some environment trickery. I'm happy that you have something so fancy...great for you anyway I am offering what I have done for free and doesn't have complicated environment hackery either; to anyone that is interested..its there to use...if someone needs 8000 tracks per VePro Instance then obviously AG is the only choice.

Alright, back to my computer today. So the template I referenced earlier..and will link again here...is a forum post that has some instructions for how to manually create more than 16 tracks across multiple ports. Its kind of a wordy forum post admittedly, which I apologize for that, I'm prone to that...but anyway...you should be able to see some simple instructions in there for how to go about doing what will work with LPX 10.4.8.

It does not involve using the environment at all, it can be done most easily by just creating the tracks directly, But there is a little musical chairs move you have to make each time you hit the channel 16 and need to bump up to the next port. Its not that hard, just something to be aware of. You can create 8 ports worth of 127 tracks in a minute or two if you follow those instructions...

Or just use the template I provided and remove the tracks you don't need.

Let me know if you have any questions about it.

I have updated that page also to reflect the noted current problem with AU3 not handling host sync/transport over to VePro properly. Not sure if that is VSL or Apple problem and it doesn't effect me most of the time, but it might for someone that is trying to run say an arp or something inside VePro, in which case they should use AU2. Most orch work does not require that, however.

Very useful info in your linked post. I ended up going the multi midi object connected to the vep instrument. Kinda how I was working before AU3 anyway.

cheers mate

Top Bottom