What's new

Synchron Duality Strings

oh, wow, fantastic! Also, like the Synchron Prime tutorials, would we be able to get some tutorials [ie. some of the audio examples by Guy and others, as Cubase files, or other DAW files], so we can hear the playback directly on our pc's if we try out the library ourselves?
They are all available to download in the Vienna Assistant.

Come on man this is VSL! They don't f*ck around son!

Ok, loaded up my vienna asssitant, and did an update on it also. I cannot seem to find any tutorial files in regard to Duality Strings. I did a search also, and did not find any. I'm not sure why I can't seem to find them.

Ok, loaded up my vienna asssitant, and did an update on it also. I cannot seem to find any tutorial files in regard to Duality Strings. I did a search also, and did not find any. I'm not sure why I can't seem to find them.
Ah my bad mate, I misread your post and thought you were talking about the Synchron Prime tutorials.

You are right, none for Duality i'm afraid.

I’m doubtful - I'll have to spend a decent amount of time comparing the two, but Duality improves on SSP in nearly every aspect (though I still am unsure if I prefer it tonally).
Yeah it is quite a marked improvement from SSP in my view. I personally prefer the tone of it as well. It's a fuller, warmer tone.

I’m doubtful - I'll have to spend a decent amount of time comparing the two, but Duality improves on SSP in nearly every aspect (though I still am unsure if I prefer it tonally).
Could you write a bit about the sound? I also had the impression that for film music is almost a must-have, but for a more clean classical sound I am still unsure...

Yeah it is quite a marked improvement from SSP in my view. I personally prefer the tone of it as well. It's a fuller, warmer tone.
Hmm I'm finding the opposite from the demos. If anything SSP is warmer and more full bodied (that is likely due to including Stage B though in SDS). To each their own though.

Could you write a bit about the sound? I also had the impression that for film music is almost a must-have, but for a more clean classical sound I am still unsure...
Nothing is a must have for any type of music :) VSL does classical pieces better than pretty much any other developer from what I've heard though.

Nothing is a must have for any type of music :) VSL does classical pieces better than pretty much any other developer from what I've heard though.
Wasn't really trying to discuss VSL sound in general, (as I do have the other libraries and know what they are capable) but the sound of the SDS which you started youself to question when you wrote about “tonality”.
You were comparing it with SSP. I only wonder if you could explain more about those impressions you brought.

Wasn't really trying to discuss VSL sound in general, (as I do have the other libraries and know what they are capable) but the sound of the SDS which you started youself to question when you wrote about “tonality”.
You were comparing it with SSP. I only wonder if you could explain more about those impressions you brought.
This post has a good comparison of the two (the thread has a couple of other examples as well). Clearly pretty different sounds, neither worse or better than the other IMO in this particular example - though somebody later in the thread has EQ'd SSP to sound closer to SDS. In other examples, you can also hear the difference between the two. I go back and forth which I prefer the tone of. Just using Stage A mics in SDS does not sound like SSP either.

Concerning the ideas of warmer, fuller, colder, thinner in the Synchron Series, it has to be highlighted that you have a mixer to shape your tone. I've found that the raw tone is very flat and neutral, and that it depends on the mix where it will lean.

For example, I would say that the Mains are very trasparent, with not much body. Adding the Center mic makes them fuller. The Surround/Outriggers add air and width, dimension, space, but no body.

The Middle and Close mics is where body appears. Sometimes there is a second Close mic, pointing to the second row, to the second chair, to the bell, and it is often a ribbon mic. This adds a lot of warmth and body to the tone.

In SUDS the mid/close combo has been empowered with a full section. I would expect this to add body, as I actually hear in the demos. Paradoxically, I feel and suspect that the Stage A-only recording is less full-bodied than in SSP.

VSL adds algorithmic reverb to the closer mics, and this adds a cold, glassy icing to the sound. It's a way to blend the drier close mics with the room mics, but I find that they also remove some raw beauty from the natural sound.

Just my impressions. In the end, what I want to say is that Synchron requires experimenting with the mics and the mixer.

Paolo

Last edited:
What do you guys think of the "3 velocities for all main articulations (shorts, longs, all legatos, portamentos, tremolos)."

Less than SSP overall.

Of course Duality has the more comprehensive articulation set. More so than even Elite Strings which is just 😮

Top Bottom