What's new

Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

If you don’t have SSO already, or only have some of the groups (WW, Brass, etc) then I recommend getting this if your wallet can handle it. The price is great and this is a fantastic orchestra VST - my favourite actually. The scope, articulations, and overall sound is hard to beat.
Would you say this beats the VSL stuff? :emoji_eyes:

Hard to speak to this yet as I’m still downloading. I can speak to SSO Pro, which is the backbone of my template and I very much like. But consistency is not a hallmark of the libraries, partly because it’s never seemed a priority of the scripting, partly because the library was assembled from the old BML before that project was complete. So the clarinets, oboes, and English horn patches were never completed as originally planned and so don’t have the depth of the flutes, which are quite extensive, or even the bassoons.
Thank you very much for the information, I will be interested in your opinion after downloading it.
Well..... This certainly justifies my decision to ignore the past many sales on SSS. 😬 This is.... An insane deal. Wow. Definitely gonna do it now! Of course, I'll need to factor in the price of another SSD into the equation too.
Yes, I guess I think more or less the same as you.

So for someone who already has SSO Pro, Percussion, Piano and Harp - how much additional disc space is required for the install of this? Will it just over-write the existing or will I need to manually delete them?

So for someone who already has SSO Pro, Percussion, Piano and Harp - how much additional disc space is required for the install of this? Will it just over-write the existing or will I need to manually delete them?
It’s completely separate. You can keep them at the same time or delete the old libraries.

I think it should supersede perc, harp and piano. Only reason to keep S/B/W around are the JJ mixes, Alt mics and the spiccato-less legato.

It’s a completely new library in that sense. You need to redownload everything but it won’t overwrite anything.

@Sipi Ovaska
@jbuhler

Thanks, that makes sense really. Will have to check how much SSD space I have left when I get home later.

Supplementary question: does this mean for those who are existing owners the original pro versions of SSS/SSB/SSW etc. will still be available in the Spitfire app to download if desired? Am assuming so.

As far as consistency and programming is concerned? Definitely not, VSL is king. As far as tone is concerned, only you can determine if it's better. If you like a big, lush tone then you may like it. I prefer the sound of SSO over VSL stuff, but the strings are clunky as hell (although I have not upgraded to this latest version). The price is also a lot cheaper than VSL overall.

@Sipi Ovaska
@jbuhler

Thanks, that makes sense really. Will have to check how much SSD space I have left when I get home later.

Supplementary question: does this mean for those who are existing owners the original pro versions of SSS/SSB/SSW etc. will still be available in the Spitfire app to download if desired? Am assuming so.
It’s a new library so it doesn’t overwrite the old one. My BML versions still appear in the SF app.

I had no interest in this really, but will have a hard time passing it up at this price point to be honest. Paul's walkthrough really does not mention or show the lead mic on the strings. Do people find this mic signal useful. Like many, I often layer a solo instrument on my strings to serve as a section leader. Does this mic signal help save that step a little or am I way off here?

Something seems to have happened with the download overnight. In any case, it's still not done, and it's still pokier than hell, an issue I've never had to this extent downloading SF libraries. The reported speed of the line to the house is not the best it's ever been but is also not terrible, so it has to be traffic elsewhere or throttling by my provider that's causing the slowdown. Not sure how to test for throttling.

I think there is a bug on mic settings. Especially on strings performance patches (cello performace for ex.), when I try to adjust volume sliders of mics, all sliders change. And I cannot set levels as I want. Anyone?

Price wise, absolutely. But as to which one sounds better; they are very different. VSL is more precise with fewer mistakes in the recording and editing process. Spitfire sounds like it was recorded in a hall with amazing natural reverb (because it was), but it also has annoying issues like inconsistent shorts.

I own both and love them both, but for different reasons.

I think there is a bug on mic settings. Especially on strings performance patches (cello performace for ex.), when I try to adjust volume sliders of mics, all sliders change. And I cannot set levels as I want. Anyone?
A couple other people have noted the same thing in this thread, so it's not just you.

I am also having this issue with performance patches. Changing the sliders with the mouse moves all sliders, sometimes including mic positions.

edit - I see some similar posts and a workaround in the relaunch thread

I'm seeing similar bugs. Changing the dynamics sliders changes the volume of various mics. Some legato instruments don't output any sound. Right now, the package is unusable for me.

It's somewhat astonishing it shipped in this state.

I only own VSL pianos so can’t give definitive answer. But from what I’ve read and listened to, VSL gives you the most control and is very consistent. However, the sound of SSO beats it hands down IMO. When I hear VSL, I can tell instantly that it’s not a “real” performance, but I’ve heard some SSO mockups that make me think, “What? That’s not real?! Wow.” That’s why I bought SSO and love it despite some of its quirks. This update is definitely an improvement overall.

Top Bottom