What's new

Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

Did they add an extra layer on top of the brass? It sounds so different compared to the original SSB.

I think the AIO approach is very appealing and I can only endorse it. If I were to start again today, this would be my Go-To library, simply unbeatable for the price. There will probably be an additional version with chamber strings.

I'm curious to see whether a Pro version with the individual mixes will come. It can't really be, because the percussions don't have outtriggers, for example. Neither do solo strings (should they be included at some point).

Last edited:
Those new demos sound wonderful as well - clearly if they can make those, it is a very capable library once you learn it.
I’ve always thought even the non-updated SSO had the best sounding library demo I’d ever heard (forget the name but it’s the Andy B one), his demo for this update might be even better.
Even after they released newer and supposedly better libraries- none of the bbcso or abbey road demos sounded anywhere near as good as that old SSO demo to me.
I think the only other library demo that really blew me away was Hendrik’s demo for Berlin Strings.

how do you get the legato artic without the garbage stac layering?

In true spitfire fashion, it's not found in the "all artics" patch ?
Pretty sure the overlay only plays on hard presses at high velocity, at least that’s how it works with all their other performance legato stuff. This new one is downloading painfully slow so I haven’t even gotten to check it out yet (and probably won’t until tomorrow)

Did they add an extra layer on top of the brass? It sounds so different compared to the original SSB.

I think the AIO approach is very appealing and I can only endorse it. If I were to start again today, this would be my Go-To library, simply unbeatable for the price. There will probably be an additional version with chamber strings.

I'm curious to see whether a Pro version with the individual mixes will come. It can't really be, because the percussions don't have outtriggers, for example. Neither do solo strings (should they be included at some point).
Someone mentioned either here or the commercial thread that they noticed increased dynamic range at the top as well.

Edit found it, here:
Post in thread 'Relaunch Today Spitfire Symphony Orchestra (Strings, Brass, Woodwind, Percussion, Harp & Piano)'
https://vi-control.net/community/th...ind-percussion-harp-piano.149301/post-5501758

how do you get the legato artic without the garbage stac layering?

In true spitfire fashion, it's not found in the "all artics" patch ?
You need to play really softly, I don't know if there's a way around that.
For woodwinds, the old patches played a faster fade into vibrato on higher velocities. It seems to trigger only on the overlay velocities, which makes it a bit tricky to get the faster attack without the overlay.

I always start with a base library when I do a project and then swap/mix etc. This sounds like it could be my new one. Normally I use EWHO or BBC Core so I am kind off not sure if I should pick it up. No doubt good value if you want a good sounding all-in- one, the UI and patches look very well put together….

I was hoping for this product to be in their own app and not K7, surprised…

I have to admit, I only have 1 spitfire library but this could turn into my second one eventually. Shame it needs Kontakt 7 because that is still so much worse than K6 for me. They mention they still provide the old patches in a zipped folder, do those still run in K6? And what about single articulation patches? Does the new K7 version of the library still have single articulation patches or are those only in the folder with the old patches (that still have all the issues they fixed for the update)?

They mention they still provide the old patches in a zipped folder, do those still run in K6? And what about single articulation patches? Does the new K7 version of the library still have single articulation patches or are those only in the folder with the old patches (that still have all the issues they fixed for the update)?
It's a Kontakt 7 library separate from previous SSO releases and doesn't show up on K6 browser at all.
There are single articulation patches for everything, all in one monster folder of 539 nki's :shocked:

Am I correct that there are no Pro mic options here? That would be bad cause I use SSW Pro and SSB Pro and that would force me to continue using SCS Pro even though I would prefer SSS Pro but it doesn't seem to be available as a single library anymore...

Am I correct that there are no Pro mic options here? That would be bad cause I use SSW Pro and SSB Pro and that would force me to continue using SCS Pro even though I would prefer SSS Pro but it doesn't seem to be available as a single library anymore...
They included the Outriggers and the Lead mic for strings from the Pro version.

For someone who already owns everything except the harp, it's $103. I'm interested in the new UI, the extra performance patches, and the multi-artic patches which will be easier to use with UACC now. Just need to find space for 345Gigs because I'm worried about deleting the existing SSO .. it could invalidate lots of old projects.
I didn't have piano/harp/percussion and it was 105 for me. The pricing is... Weird, a bit. For those who ever bought SSO it's great. For those who did, the upgrade could be less. Given that the price for the whole thing is 670 ish or however much. Plus, it doesn't have JJ's mixes. One could argue, they should have included the outriggers from the very start, as with their other libraries at the time.

Some of the weakness is still present from the walkthrough. Especially, the brass.

Hopeful for the new AB's legatos, although I never thought he was great at scripting those, TBH. It seems, though, they brought back the middle vibrato layer, that is nice. Never liked the "new" performance legatos.

On the good side, you can always setup the longs, those can sound outstanding, once the releases are set. Sounds much better than legatos.

Btw, I recommend doing that for other libs as well, as it seems like if legatos suck some people over here are not going to use the library at all. I can almost guarantee all the great and smooth melodic lines in the demos are using longs. Not just spitfire, but from other devs as well.

Gonna update just to try the new legatos. These are going on the new BMTH album!

Last edited:
For someone who already owns everything except the harp, it's $103. I'm interested in the new UI, the extra performance patches, and the multi-artic patches which will be easier to use with UACC now. Just need to find space for 345Gigs because I'm worried about deleting the existing SSO .. it could invalidate lots of old projects.

You own SSO, SSB, SSW and Spitfire Percussion?

That would be very unusual

Does anyone know if there is Articulation Sets for Logic included? (it's called something else for other DAWs)
Or will it at least be possible to create your own? I'm a big fan of articulation sets instead of key switching, but maybe with the performance patch, articulation sets won't be so important anymore?

Great deal. For me it’s around €275. But I already have SCS pro, SSS pro, the whole Cinematic Studio Series, Berlin Brass, Berlin Woodwinds, CinePerc, CineBrass, CineStrings. I guess I just don’t need it… or are there some hidden gems I really need?

Does anyone know if there is Articulation Sets for Logic included? (it's called something else for other DAWs)
Or will it at least be possible to create your own? I'm a big fan of articulation sets instead of key switching, but maybe with the performance patch, articulation sets won't be so important anymore?

None included, but you can of course create your own. The performance patch goes a long way with that, yeah! I can understand why people love modelled instruments, that do away with keyswitching completely.

None included, but you can of course create your own. The performance patch goes a long way with that, yeah! I can understand why people love modelled instruments, that do away with keyswitching completely.
As a SWAM user I have to say "it depends". The Swamengine has its pros and cons... at least if you use a Breath controller.

There are single articulation patches for everything, all in one monster folder of 539 nki's :shocked:
Btw, I just created subfolders for these patches (and subfolders for each instrument). Couldn't stand having them all in one big folder.

EDIT: That actually needs you to resave all patches to fix the broken sample path, so maybe not the best idea...

EDIT 2: Of course, that's what batch resaving is for! Just took a few minutes for Kontakt to process the whole library.

Last edited:
So what's the impression of the new Blaney legatos? The SF site is rather sparse with information, in terms of dynamics and so forth. Anyone know?

Top Bottom