What's new

PC: MOTU M2 dropping audio

I've heard other folks saying the MOTU drivers for Windows can have issues for some. If you have a MAC they apparently work great. I wouldn't wait for a fix.

Well, I guess I'm now in the unfortunate few here... Well, maybe a dac would be also suitable? Since all I need is a reliable audio device to play virtual pianos with lower latency and better performance than whatever the computer offers, while at the same time boost my listening experience when listening to music.

Hi everyone!
After getting my MOTU M2 hooked up with my USB C port, I found that occasionally it would cut out the audio and then the audio would return again. I tried all other non-USB C ports (only 1 on my laptop), changed buffer size from 256 to 512 then back, checked all power settings on Windows and disabled all means of USB power management, and even updated my bios firmware. I can't look at bios because I'm totally blind and bios has no screen reader support. The diagnostics info presents the error code x00020002, and says that the USB host port has dropped audio. Usually this dropped audio occurs when I try to open or close a software window on the computer like the mail or web browser, and sometimes when I play the piano or listen to music, the dropping out of audio would hit too. I'm pretty certain that a buffer size of 256 samplesis the lowest latency I can manage without introducing additional pops and clicks, so we will stay at 256.
Any thoughts as to how to solve the problem? The MOTU tech support has also reported this to the development team, so I guess I'll wait for now.
Thanks!
David
Laptop: Dell Precision 3540 with an updated 32 GB of ram and a 2TB SSD. The CPU is Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99 GHz, and the operating system is Windows 10 version 2004 X64.

In order to get the best USB performance, you have to ensure that the port you plug your MOTU into does not share bandwidth with anything else.

Check your manual for which ports share bandwidth, and which do not.

In order to get the best USB performance, you have to ensure that the port you plug your MOTU into does not share bandwidth with anything else.

Check your manual for which ports share bandwidth, and which do not.

Well, it is a separate USB C port. That most certainly doesn't share bandwidth, as it only has one such port on my laptop.

Then do you suggest I hold on to it and wait for them to fix their driver? It's been 3 months since any sort of updates, and even MOTU tech support believes it was the power that's fed to the USB C port not enough for the audio interface, which I find to be really odd -- come on, it's USB C! They designed it for the USB C port and they say that this port doesn't feed the interface much power? That's really strange in my opinion.
I'd return it / sell it, if they've not updated drivers in months and yourself as well as other people have had similar / the same issues with the drivers, then there's going to be a long wait for them to fix it unfortunately. It's an amazing interface and nothing beats it for the price, so it's a shame that the drivers themselves for Windows are not up to standard of the interface itself :/. I know MOTU have been Mac only in the past I think and Windows driver writing probably isn't their strongest suite unless it's their AVB range, but even that had bad drivers when they finally made them Windows compatible.

I'd return it / sell it, if they've not updated drivers in months and yourself as well as other people have had similar / the same issues with the drivers, then there's going to be a long wait for them to fix it unfortunately. It's an amazing interface and nothing beats it for the price, so it's a shame that the drivers themselves for Windows are not up to standard of the interface itself :/. I know MOTU have been Mac only in the past I think and Windows driver writing probably isn't their strongest suite unless it's their AVB range, but even that had bad drivers when they finally made them Windows compatible.

OK, I'll talk with my Sweetwater sales engineer to return it -- but I must land on a product that would do similar audio things at low prices, less than $200!

And what does that mean? That means it may share bandwidth with something else. Or, maybe not. You can not assume these things; you have to read the manual.

The manual? It is not with me in America and I don't think I can access one. Do they have something online? That I don't know, unfortunately...... Are you saying that if this shares bandwidth with something else, that the first thing to do is to buy a new computer?

USB Power Delivery specification for USB 3.1 (supported by USB-C connectors) does not provide strict requirements on the source output power. There are 4 predefined voltages, but power supplies may support any maximum output power from 0.5 W to 100 W. And I would not expect a laptop to provide high power output.

The manual?

Yes, the manual.

Did you not get one when you bought the unit? If you bought it used, check MOTU's site. They are a reputable company; I find it hard to believe they dont have manuals for their products on their site.

Are you saying that if this shares bandwidth with something else, that the first thing to do is to buy a new computer?

Maybe. You have to find another port that does not share bandwidth, or find another computer. This is why desktops are preferred here.

USB Power Delivery specification for USB 3.1 (supported by USB-C connectors) does not provide strict requirements on the source output power. There are 4 predefined voltages, but power supplies may support any maximum output power from 0.5 W to 100 W. And I would not expect a laptop to provide high power output.

Interesting - so you are saying that maybe the port is lacking power? Possible, I guess.

Interesting - so you are saying that maybe the port is lacking power? Possible, I guess.

I have the same question. Also, due to space limitations, I can't use a desktop at this time, plus laptops are easier to travel with. So I hope to keep my current setup.

I’ve experienced the same issues with the M2 on my MacBook Air i7. It did it on Mojave and also Catalina. When I’d be running a modest track in Studio One, it would cut out and I’d have to reset the thing. Also noticed this when using the M2 as the default sound for the system. While I love the design, it’s been a really PITA since it got it last year. So I picked up a UR12 (this is just for my portable rig- I have an Apollo Twin Duo for my larger rig).

have to say the sound is much cleaner and the output is louder too on the UR compared to the M2. But then again Steinberg has always had its own drivers and the UR has been solid (I used to have the first gen UR22).

shame about the MOtU. Again, I love the design and build but it’s just too unstable and craps out at least once per session if not more per day even on general audio demands outside my daw. :(

Since a different interface requirement came up, I thought I'd mention that I am super happy with my Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD.

It's nothing fancy, but it does the job and I get pretty decent latency, down to 64 in some cases.

The control panel works well with screen readers as well. I assume you use Reaper, no issues there either.

Hello everyone!

First of all, excuse my english, I hope you will understand my point.

So, today I connected M2 to desktop and seems I have the problems as OP had.
I tried to disable USB power management (didn't work), tried to change several USB ports (front and back -- didn't work too), tried their cable and another one (same result).
And seems I've found the solution of this problem (not 100% sure but after approximately 1,5-2 hours of using there was none drops at all).
With their late WIN drivers (dated 17-03-2020) there are drop-outs of audio every 5 minutes. I tried their older driver (dated 21-11-2019) and It did work.
But there is one minus of using this driver -- when watching video in Youtube the sound appears ~0.5 sec after starting video (maybe one of another drivers could fix that problem and still be stable).
Hopefully it helps.

Their drivers changelog:

Try to change USB cable or using other USB port. I have same problem and fix it using another USB cable. Also don't use long USB cable , use standard length ( est. 30 cm )

Try to change USB cable or using other USB port. I have same problem and fix it using another USB cable. Also don't use long USB cable , use standard length ( est. 30 cm )
I tried different cables and different USB ports. My most powerful is A USB type C port, but all with the same result. I've since moved on to a FocusRite 4I4 3rd gen and it does all I want beautifully. :)

I tried different cables and different USB ports. My most powerful is A USB type C port, but all with the same result. I've since moved on to a FocusRite 4I4 3rd gen and it does all I want beautifully. :)
Focusrite 4i4 is good , I love Focusrite too ( but mine is Focusrite 2i2 , have no loopback function :( , but if you want to evaluate bit depth 32bit on Motu compared with focusrite 24 bit, it is better to solve the problem ....... or you can give it to me , ha ha :)

Focusrite 4i4 is good , I love Focusrite too ( but mine is Focusrite 2i2 , have no loopback function :( , but if you want to evaluate bit depth 32bit on Motu compared with focusrite 24 bit, it is better to solve the problem ....... or you can give it to me , ha ha :)
Well, I only deal with 24-bit audio files (some hi-res 24-bit flac files), so the FocusRite does the job. A bit more than what I wanted to pay, but hey -- it gets it all done and has loopback, so I'm a happy camper now.

I would try
PC: MOTU M2 dropping audio

Top Bottom