What's new

Negative Track Delay Database / Spreadsheet

Thanks David. This isn’t something that maybe already know OT team? they never publicly track delays i guess. I hope they next Sine update could have this as info or even better under a new scripting to rearrange those numbers automatically at same time for example.
I've asked for the info, but it isn't something that they have to provide. Some developers cut every articulation and instrument to be the exact same value. (Audio Imperia for example). The advantage of this is consistency, but it makes it less playable because you have to pick the longest value. Others do it on an instrument by instrument basis, which makes the instrument more playable, at the expense of consistency. That's the OT approach, although their new libraries since JXL Brass are much more consistent now as far as all shorts being the same, all longs being the same.

I've asked for the info, but it isn't something that they have to provide. Some developers cut every articulation and instrument to be the exact same value. (Audio Imperia for example). The advantage of this is consistency, but it makes it less playable because you have to pick the longest value. Others do it on an instrument by instrument basis, which makes the instrument more playable, at the expense of consistency. That's the OT approach, although their new libraries since JXL Brass are much more consistent now as far as all shorts being the same, all longs being the same.
Thanks for you insights.

Can I ask how you prefer to score within shorts articulations when they have differents delays for same section as for example, Staccatissimo, Staccato?
I try to write all short arts writings at same track if possible, but in that context I could lost individual negative track delay, because those arts are not separated per track

Excuse me David. To much of a question 🫠 I will investigate at my own jaja

Thanks David. This isn’t something that maybe already know OT team? they never publicly track delays i guess. I hope they next Sine update could have this as info or even better under a new scripting to rearrange those numbers automatically at same time for example.
But they can really do this favor of mentioning on the product page. Many devs are coming forward to put these details on their respective product pages and/or in the manuals or some cases, they say in the Walkthrus.

Yes, you are right, the "transient" is a simplification and one actually needs to find the point, where the sample is supposed to be on the beat. I think eventually, one needs to employ critical listening to find that point. In any case, it's usually after the start of the audio signal.

Btw: "quarter of a second" is 250 ms, which is actually a lot. Some people here complain about things in the range of 10 ms, which is approx. the threshold where (at least some) musicians start to hear that something is out of sync.
yea i notice if it's 20ms off , a lot of short articulations seem to lay between 20ms to 60ms depending on the company. I prefer when companies like CSS give us this information in a PDF file when we purchase the products. All companies should be doing this.

yea i notice if it's 20ms off , a lot of short articulations seem to lay between 20ms to 60ms depending on the company. I prefer when companies like CSS give us this information in a PDF file when we purchase the products. All companies should be doing this.
Are you saying CSS does this - or that you wish they would do this?

Has anyone found out the values for VSL Duality Strings (regular)? Esp. the delay for shorts, longs, and legato transitions?

Hi
I listened to the demo of Nimbus 2000 by John Williams created by Erik Snopko on VSL Synchron Woodwinds. I think it sounds really amazing:

I the asked him how he managed the delay of the different articulations:
I wrote:
Hi. It sounds really fantastic. I wonder how you deal with the delay in the different articulations? All you seq. in Cubase seems to be quantized and you have one channel pr. instrument. How are you making the timing sit so well?

And he answered me:

Hi! Our Sample Editing team made sure that all articulations and notes start at the same time. This consistency allowed me to quantize all MIDI notes. Additionally, I used the Humanize delay to avoid all notes sounding exactly at the same time. This piece also uses a Tempo map to match slight timing changes to the original track. - Erik

Tell me your opinion about that. Do you think it's a special VSL feature that all articulations are "synchronized" so to speak?

Hi
I listened to the demo of Nimbus 2000 by John Williams created by Erik Snopko on VSL Synchron Woodwinds. I think it sounds really amazing:

I the asked him how he managed the delay of the different articulations:
I wrote:
Hi. It sounds really fantastic. I wonder how you deal with the delay in the different articulations? All you seq. in Cubase seems to be quantized and you have one channel pr. instrument. How are you making the timing sit so well?

And he answered me:

Hi! Our Sample Editing team made sure that all articulations and notes start at the same time. This consistency allowed me to quantize all MIDI notes. Additionally, I used the Humanize delay to avoid all notes sounding exactly at the same time. This piece also uses a Tempo map to match slight timing changes to the original track. - Erik

Tell me your opinion about that. Do you think it's a special VSL feature that all articulations are "synchronized" so to speak?

I emailed VSL about this a year or so ago and they informed me there was no need to use negative delay

Top Bottom