What's new

Max Richter On The Nature Of Daylight Mockup

Happy to see all the Max Richter love in this thread, I thought I was his only fan around here :)

It's making me want to buy the Chris Hein solo strings and give it the old college try at one of my favorite pieces by one of my favorite composers!

@ism , yours feels sonically right on the money, the tone of the sustains is dead on!

And not to spam the thread with my own garbage, but I did just release a track that's aggressively Richter-influenced. I spent 3 full days cleaning up the solo violin legato line, trying to get it to feel right. It's Cinesamples Solo (the best solo legato violin I've ever used imho). The rest is Spitfire LCO, Spitfire Solo and OA Chamber strings.

Still, I'm thinking the Flautandos in Chris Hein solo might be an interesting way to mockup On the Nature of Daylight?

No kidding on the Max Richter inspiration here! It's the delicate art of taking a seemingly infinite repetition of a phrase and giving it a sense transformation throughout the piece through changing pace, subtle variations on the run of the phrase, and layering.

I've heard great things about Chris Hein but have never hit that threshold to go purchase it yet. It sounds like a worthwhile effort to target this piece. I'm loving On The Nature of Daylight as a library challenge because as @ism said, we'll never reach the feeling of the original, but it really exposes these libraries to a delicate play style and helps people build an impression of what can be done.

We may never be able to recreate On The Nature of Daylight, but we might find that attempting to get there, we sonically register with some of these mockup attempts and the libraries used and re-inspire people to give more solo / quartet work a try in their compositions.

Last edited:
Yeah I really do love the sound of Cinestrings Solo - I do agree that the 2nd violin is a little stiff. I am willing to bet it can be fixed, but I am not that good with using the library yet to be honest.
No worries. What I like about sharing midi mockups is that this is now an opportunity to solely focus on bringing the best out of a library. A lot of times I feel that when i'm composing, I'm worried both about the actual composing process at the same time I'm figuring out the library.

Having reference pieces is actually making me learn my libraries more. I'm no longer asking "what sound should I make?" but instead "How do I get this library closer to that sound?"

It's a great library Yellowdog, I'm sure you'll be inspired to use it for years to come. I feel like when I'm writing, it puts me on 3rd base straight away, then it's just a matter of midi manipulation to get closer to home plate. There are other libraries that can probably get closer to home, but I find the amount of work needed to even reach 2nd base pretty draining.

No kidding on the Max Richter inspiration here! It's the delicate art of taking a seemingly infinite repetition of a phrase and giving it a sense transformation throughout the piece through changing pace, subtle variations on the run of the phrase, and layering.

I've heard great things about Chris Hein but have never hit that threshold to go purchase it yet. It sounds like a worthwhile effort to target this piece. I'm loving On The Nature of Daylight as a library challenge because as @ism said, we'll never reach the feeling of the original, but it really exposes these libraries to a delicate play style and helps people build an impression of what can be done.

We may never be able to recreate On The Nature of Daylight, but we might find that attempting to get there, we sonically register with some of these mockup attempts and the libraries used and re-inspire people to give more solo / quartet work a try in their compositions.
^ I love every word of this post @ibanez1! Quartet work with VIs feels like chasing the holy grail, it's so challenging but I love it because there's nowhere to hide. It's a great stress test for the current state of sample technology!

No worries. What I like about sharing midi mockups is that this is now an opportunity to solely focus on bringing the best out of a library. A lot of times I feel that when i'm composing, I'm worried both about the actual composing process at the same time I'm figuring out the library.

Having reference pieces is actually making me learn my libraries more. I'm no longer asking "what sound should I make?" but instead "How do I get this library closer to that sound?"
Yes I feel this as well - and it gets worse when you have more libraries - "OK how does this one work again? What's the delay?" :emoji_grin:

Yes. There's none of these mockups (not least my own) that I'd listen to as music-quo-music.

But each of them has *something* wonderful about the performances they capture and the expressiveness they enable.

So even if the actual musicality of the mockup leaves you entirely despondent about the potential of sample libraries, there's always somewhere to go, some expressive space that it's entirely closed off by these limitation.

(And Kyle's piece above is an example of this par-excellance. Partly, he restricts himself to shorted bowing, but in general this is a fabulous sweet spot of the library that I've never heard before.)

Happy to see all the Max Richter love in this thread, I thought I was his only fan around here :)

It's making me want to buy the Chris Hein solo strings and give it the old college try at one of my favorite pieces by one of my favorite composers!

@ism , yours feels sonically right on the money, the tone of the sustains is dead on!

And not to spam the thread with my own garbage, but I did just release a track that's aggressively Richter-influenced. I spent 3 full days cleaning up the solo violin legato line, trying to get it to feel right. It's Cinesamples Solo (the best solo legato violin I've ever used imho). The rest is Spitfire LCO, Spitfire Solo and OA Chamber strings.

Still, I'm thinking the Flautandos in Chris Hein solo might be an interesting way to mockup On the Nature of Daylight?

This is a wonderful piece, just the type of thing I like - well done @Kyle Preston !

Last edited:
Here is a straight from Staffpad version using Berlin Strings First Chairs with no adjustments or effects.
View attachment On The Nature Of Daylight .mp3

Here is a version with Orchestra and First Chair 2nd Violin.
View attachment On The Nature Of Daylight - orchestra - 2vl FC.mp3

Here is a version with just Berlin Strings
(Broken Link Removed)
Whoah! I'm genuinely impressed by how good those Berlin First Chairs sound -- I had no idea. Will definitely listen again, but on my monitors, later tonight. Excellent work @Markrs!

I didn't use the same midi. I used one from Musescore as I needed it in MusicXML and with markup. However you can also get Musescore to give you the MIDI from this as well using the app or if you have Musescore Pro

I also started with the musescore version as a base although I couldn't download the midi so I manually put it in. I usually recreate pieces by ear but I thought why go through the trouble if it's already done :).

Here is a straight from Staffpad version using Berlin Strings First Chairs with no adjustments or effects.

Here is a version with just Berlin Strings.
View attachment On The Nature Of Daylight Berlin strings.mp3
I really like the soft attacks of these strings, especially for the 2nd violin run. I feel like with a little more modwheel manipulation, it will really bring out some musicality in the line.

To my ears, these strings have awesome timbre in the sustains, especially for the low dynamics. Is there vibrato control in SCS? I think that's something that would help elevate the crescendos for this library.
Yes, there is, but I left it constant at about half-way. It can use some more CC massaging (make it softer at parts), but it still sounds good.

Last edited:
oki doki. Few more versions below. I can't tell you how to live your life, but if you only listen to one, listen to the combined CSS+Synchron+Embertone ISS version. Reverb is courtesy of Samplicity M7 Saint Gerold in Waves IR1. CSS on its own is also pretty magical.

Synchron Prime Only
View attachment 83732
Synchron Prime + CSS
View attachment 83733
CSS Only
View attachment 83734
Synchron Prime + Embertone ISS
View attachment 83735
Synchron Prime + ISS + CSS (The BIG one)
View attachment 83736
Not sure if it was intentional, but the violas seem to be starting a half note later than the rest. The combined layering sounds amazing regardless :)

Here is a version with just Berlin Strings.
View attachment On The Nature Of Daylight Berlin strings.mp3
Markrs, is it possible to run the Berlin First Chairs again with close mics or less reverb? I'm curious how it compares to dry libraries like VSL Solo Strings.

Markrs, is it possible to run the Berlin First Chairs again with close mics or less reverb? I'm curious how it compares to dry libraries like VSL Solo Strings.
With Staffpad (which I used for this mockup) you don't get mic positions so unfortunately you can't reduce the reverb.

Top Bottom