What's new

Max Richter On The Nature Of Daylight Mockup

With Staffpad (which I used for this mockup) you don't get mic positions so unfortunately you can't reduce the reverb.
You can reduce the reverb in the staff settings - but when you say ‘no effects’ you may have already done that.

You can reduce the reverb in the staff settings - but when you say ‘no effects’ you may have already done that.
I didn't realise that, when I said no effects I meant external too Staffpad, so I will look at reducing the reverb

Did a dirty little mockup with your midi and Cinematic Studio Solo Strings. All close mics, Valhalla Room for some reverb and a bit of EQ + Room Tone! A couple of midi adjustments to smooth over transitions as the legato in CSSS is quite picky when it comes to that kind of stuff + CSS Basses to accentuate the bass line.

Attachments

• otnod_csss+css.mp3
    14.9 MB
Did a dirty little mockup with your midi and Cinematic Studio Solo Strings. All close mics, Valhalla Room for some reverb and a bit of EQ + Room Tone! A couple of midi adjustments to smooth over transitions as the legato in CSSS is quite picky when it comes to that kind of stuff + CSS Basses to accentuate the bass line.
nice but still the instruments sound far from the listener, not a perspective I like with quartets...
good old vsl solos are much closer:

View attachment VSL-Richter.mp3

Last edited:
I read through this and other threads trying to get some insight into whether CSSS would be a 'Best Buy' for my first attempt at a quartet (no shame in being a beginner here I hope?). It has been very useful and on the way I was introduced to Max Richter's work which I had heard many times but not identified. Long story short I invested in CSSS and compared it with other solo libraries I have acquired. Spurred on by others' mockups here I have attempted to mockup On the Nature of Daylight too. What a very difficult piece it is - but so, so beautiful - I couldn't resist it. Thanks to all who have contributed in this thread. It has been so valuable for me. Anyway I think I have managed to add my version of the full piece here for anyone that's interested in giving it a listen. Any feedback gratefully received too if you've a mind :)
Cheers
Mike
View attachment On the Nature of Daylight with CSSS V3.mp3

I read through this and other threads trying to get some insight into whether CSSS would be a 'Best Buy' for my first attempt at a quartet (no shame in being a beginner here I hope?). It has been very useful and on the way I was introduced to Max Richter's work which I had heard many times but not identified. Long story short I invested in CSSS and compared it with other solo libraries I have acquired. Spurred on by others' mockups here I have attempted to mockup On the Nature of Daylight too. What a very difficult piece it is - but so, so beautiful - I couldn't resist it. Thanks to all who have contributed in this thread. It has been so valuable for me. Anyway I think I have managed to add my version of the full piece here for anyone that's interested in giving it a listen. Any feedback gratefully received too if you've a mind :)
Cheers
Mike
View attachment On the Nature of Daylight with CSSS V3.mp3
Good job, transcribing. You should experiment with the mod wheel for a bit of variation. Thanks for sharing. Keep going!

Good job, transcribing. You should experiment with the mod wheel for a bit of variation. Thanks for sharing. Keep going!
Thank you for listening @mojamusic. I really struggled to get the softest, most elegant sound out of the violins using this library. I fixed the modulation at the lowest sample level while using expression and volume to get some variation going. I felt that gave me the sweetest tone - especially for the highest violin part, so any suggestions for that scenario would be most welcome :)

I bet CSSS would do well with this piece, if anyone has it - the molto molto vibrato might serve it well.
I've had a go with it - please see later in this thread. I think CSSS has a lot going for it in the cello and viola samples but I've struggled with the violins in this piece - but then it is my first try at a 'quartet'.

I came across this old thread and thought I should add a Spitfire Solo Strings version. I'm a hobbyist and haven't worked on something like this in a while. SF Solo Strings sound nice to me in this piece, but I don't really know.

I thought these strings might be more complicated in this case because of vibrato programming. But the "progressive" vibrato articulations fit nicely.

I smoothed out the dynamics in the midi in a couple of areas where the violin got too quiet and disappeared in the mix. I think a little more midi work would smooth things out where there are little gaps here and there.

I did fiddle with the mix a bit to try to make it sound good.

For the sub bass I used a preset from u-he HIVE 2. I could have brought the bass up a tiny bit perhaps.

SF Solo Strings can be tougher on busier pieces but this was fun to work on. Thanks OP for uploading the midi.

Attachments

• Max Richter On The Nature Of Daylight SF SoloStr mockup.mp3
    14.8 MB
Last edited:
This is 8dio's Deep Quintet Strings - out the box, four instances of the Quintet Strings legato articuation. No EQ, no FX other than Quantum 2772 Evolution reverb. I did pull down the mod wheel data on the violin track a bit.

View attachment On The Nature Of Daylight DSQ Version.mp3

WAIT - I made a mistake! That ^ version has Spitfire Appasionata on the Violas! Wow these two libraries blend incredibly well.

This version is all Deep Quintet Strings:

View attachment On The Nature Of Daylight DSQ Version 2.mp3

Last edited:
Top Bottom