What's new

Mac Studio (New Hardware Mac Computer)!!!!

Well I'm right now looking for an all in one, VEP+Logic+ProTools machine, with 64GB of memory (although 96 or 128 might be nice for futureproofing...)

I was looking at the 16" Macbook Pro with M1 Max (10 CPU cores, 24 GPU), 64GB RAM and 2TB SSD. That was going to total $4,100.

With this new Mac Studio, I can get the exact same hardware specs for $3,000.

Any reason I shouldn't nab that deal? It's basically $1,100 off and go buy a cheaper monitor + keyboard, right? Anything else I should know?
Get the 128GB RAM.

Disappointing that this machine has no Single Core performance improvement. Other than that the perfect machine for media compesition with super high bandwidth memory and lots of connectivity. 128gb and 8tb ssd internal should make losing templates and sample libraries a breeze.

Who needs more RAM can wait für the 4 chiplet 256gb Mac Pro which is now very clear what it will be.

Just ordered a Mac Studio M1 Ultra with 128GB unified memory. It’s the most I’ve ever spent on a computer, but if it means no more choking when playing back my orchestral libraries, and also greatly reduced fan noise then it’s a big plus. Hopefully this will last me a long time.

Mac Studio (New Hardware Mac Computer)!!!!

Well I'm right now looking for an all in one, VEP+Logic+ProTools machine, with 64GB of memory (although 96 or 128 might be nice for futureproofing...)

I was looking at the 16" Macbook Pro with M1 Max (10 CPU cores, 24 GPU), 64GB RAM and 2TB SSD. That was going to total $4,100.

With this new Mac Studio, I can get the exact same hardware specs for $3,000.

Any reason I shouldn't nab that deal? It's basically $1,100 off and go buy a cheaper monitor + keyboard, right? Anything else I should know?

The next step up in price would be to get the M1 Ultra + 128GB RAM. That's truly a monster computer, more powerful than most existing composer desktops I'd bet. It's also $5,000 though haha, up to $6k if you want more hard drive space too.

there was talk about new refresh MacBooks. maybe its just going to be added to the website and there was not mentioned in the video

Get the 128GB RAM.
Not sure if it makes sense to do everything in Mac though. I have a PC networked server that can run another 64gb worth of template. Between those two computers I'd have 128... I mean maybe Abbey Road Modular Orchestra will be terabytes of samples.... ;)

If you need to travel with your computer, maybe the MBP is a better solution?
Nah, almost never need to.

Straight $ to £ pricing is a bit disappointing, making this very expensive here in the UK. Regardless, I'm going to get the Mac Studio with Max/64gb/1TB but will be looking around for more affordable monitors - recommendations most welcome!

Apple has really achieved something monumental that I never thought I'd see. They've outdone Intel and AMD to design a chip that outperforms the best Xeon workstation processor and uses half the energy at the same time, and costs a fraction of the price too.

It's like that whole concept of "cheap, fast, and good - pick two," has become "heck, have all 3."

Just ordered a Mac Studio M1 Ultra with 128GB unified memory. It’s the most I’ve ever spent on a computer, but if it means no more choking when playing back my orchestral libraries, and also greatly reduced fan noise then it’s a big plus. Hopefully this will last me a long time.

A257DBD3-84B3-4E36-85A1-CA56E82F3C68.jpeg
Hell yes congrats man, it's a great feeling

Apple has really achieved something monumental that I never thought I'd see. They've outdone Intel and AMD to design a chip that outperforms the best Xeon workstation processor and uses half the energy at the same time, and costs a fraction of the price too.

It's like that whole concept of "cheap, fast, and good - pick two," has become "heck, have all 3."

true. might be the pholosophy behind it. the SOC version makes less fuzz about customizations and never ending tweaking from the windows world. Which for some things are great, others are not.
If things work for the work the person is doing then its great if not, then there is plenty of options.

Not sure if it makes sense to do everything in Mac though. I have a PC networked server that can run another 64gb worth of template. Between those two computers I'd have 128... I mean maybe Abbey Road Modular Orchestra will be terabytes of samples.... ;)

Nah, almost never need to.
Cool - plus I didn't realize going up to 128 was so much more, I thought it was a $400 upgrade, but I see now you need to have the ultra, so that's a big upgrade.

If you're already using VEP then you're good. That's what I'm doing currently, and it works fine.

A257DBD3-84B3-4E36-85A1-CA56E82F3C68.jpeg

Awesome!! I’m getting it with 64gb of ram and 4tb of storage

Straight $ to £ pricing is a bit disappointing, making this very expensive here in the UK. Regardless, I'm going to get the Mac Studio with Max/64gb/1TB but will be looking around for more affordable monitors - recommendations most welcome!
You beat me to it, it's not just disappointing it's downright robbery! But we've suffered this and similar ever since I got into Hi-Fi in the 1970's.

im sure thunderbolt4 is good enough for us but the internal expansion seems limited. ram at least. not sure ssd. they metioned up to 8tb inside.
is RAM upgradable at all - even by Apple? I got the idea somehow that the RAM is like literally glued to or part of the M1 chip somehow. So the chip you select is the RAM you're stuck with.

the price depends if someone gets a second dedicated computer for samples and the price for that combined.
and if space is an issue. plus it can go with you anywhere!

I have the 2018 mac mini64gbram thats about $1500 used. plus an old i7 x99 intel w 128gb of ram thats like $1500 maybe.
and its good enough.

once the studio starts hitting the refurbished stores theyll be a good deal.

is RAM upgradable at all - even by Apple? I got the idea somehow that the RAM is like literally glued to or part of the M1 chip somehow. So the chip you select is the RAM you're stuck with.
yes, thats what i wrote. the ram not upgradable. the ssd maybe... not sure.

so its $400 a month for 12 months no interets. like buying a nice car lease :)

Top Bottom