What's new

Junkie XL Brass?

Guys, what mics do you prefer to use? AMXL ones or unprocessed mics? When I bought the library at the pre-order stage I had downloaded only AMXL mics back then so I’m curious now whether raw mics would be a better choice? I just don’t want to download all mics and occupy so much space on my drive.
My suggestion is to download them and test them yourself.

Then you can just make your own mixed position and delete the other mics

Guys, what mics do you prefer to use? AMXL ones or unprocessed mics? When I bought the library at the pre-order stage I had downloaded only AMXL mics back then so I’m curious now whether raw mics would be a better choice? I just don’t want to download all mics and occupy so much space on my drive.
I use the AMXL tree on everything except trumpets, those I use the AM surround.

regards to the library, I wish it was the only one I used, but I have to say, the legato can be sorely lacking. I use CSB still for solo brass, a smoother legato, and Trumpets. I really dislike the “quacky” tone of the JXL trumpets. However I use JXL almost exclusively for horns, and every low brass instrument. Amazing library...

Last edited:
now if we could just convince @OrchestralTools to create some kind of cloud/sharing capability for microphone mixes :)

honestly, if it just imports the microphone settings and then bakes it locally - it would simply be a matter of downloading a small file containing only variables. Then we could come up with mixes that match certain recordings/ect or just in general.
Does OT know this fantastic idea with Mic presets? :)

I personally prefer the natural mics.

The amxl ones are good to have for certain things though.

Didn’t know what thread to put this in but we finally have a new season of Studio Time!! So excited

can’t wait for the 100 tb library which could pretty much be reproduced with synth1 distortion reverb And kontakt’s included library for layering.

can’t wait for the 100 tb library which could pretty much be reproduced with synth1 distortion reverb And kontakt’s included library for layering.
Well I mean the reason why JXL Is absurdly big is because of the 16 mics. I assume most people just download like 5 or so

Well I mean the reason why JXL Is absurdly big is because of the 16 mics. I assume most people just download like 5 or so
let's not downplay the fact that almost all the articulations are also 5 dynamic layers, but honestly I think the newbie is trying to ruffle some feathers so I'd just ignore him.(he either doesn't own it, or doesn't know how to use it)

cheers.png

he's been here for like 30 minutes and he's literally only complained 4/5 of those posts.

Last edited:
The ignore button is your friend.
it's really hard to get on my actual ignore list - there has to be a balance of just enough respect for me to actually want to engage in an argument with the person while also disliking, disagreeing with, or both. But yes, that's what the tools' for.

I want to believe you, send me your synth1 distortion reverb patch.. I'll pay you 700$ if it is as good as JXLB... =)

obviously if it sucks you are gonna pay 700$ to a charity of your choice =)

Honestly. JXL is fkn beast. I agree the trumpets are bright but the beauty of turning off the FFF dynamic will reduce it if you don't like it. But when you listen to Tom's music you'll absolutely understand why it's like that, in practice he seems to use trumpets to bolster horn lines or crescendo them in chaotic moments. The brightness will therefore edge clarity.

I've been sitting for around a week on and off now processing some of my brass in general, and the JXL brass instruments have much to offer, especially when bolstered by the likes of Cinebrass.

Question for brass players/orchestrators who use a lot of brass arrangements.
I'm still rather new to this, and figuring out combinations of horns etc.
At the moment I have the JXL:
a12 Trombones, bass trombones, tuba and solo French horn.

I also use Cinesamples Sonore for their a4 French horn/solo or a3 trumpets.

As well as BBC core (kinda weak brass, but lots of legato) and Abbey Road one (good sounding brass but no legato).

I like to mix the Abbey Road Trumpets, especially staccato, with the JXL horns. Cinesamples Sonore blends ok with these, but sometimes is better mixed with my Bernard Hermann toolkit for a more older sound.

That said, I'm thinking of grabbing maybe two more JXL horns but having trouble deciding, based on what I have now what would YOU grab to blend for a nice brass orchestral movement/arrangement?

Any Suggestions?

I'm probably good on French horns? OR should I get more? Also thinking about one of the trumpets perhaps so I have a more modern epic trumpet with legato, since ARO does not have legato...

hard to say....

Thanks for your time!

Hello everybody!
I just bought three instruments from JXL Brass: horn solo, trombone solo and tuba solo. I am very very satisfied, but I have a little doubt about the microphones. At the moment I only downloaded the amxl close and amxl tree. Looking at the walkthrough on youtube it seems that the close mics are centered, while using the library I found that they are actually panned. For the horn and tuba this shouldn't be a big deal, as they seem to be in the same position as the tree mics, so it can be fine. For the trombone, on the other hand, the Close microphone seems to be panned hard right, and if I try to move it I can only have it all on the right or all on the left. Has anyone else encountered the same problem?

Hello everybody!
I just bought three instruments from JXL Brass: horn solo, trombone solo and tuba solo. I am very very satisfied, but I have a little doubt about the microphones. At the moment I only downloaded the amxl close and amxl tree. Looking at the walkthrough on youtube it seems that the close mics are centered, while using the library I found that they are actually panned. For the horn and tuba this shouldn't be a big deal, as they seem to be in the same position as the tree mics, so it can be fine. For the trombone, on the other hand, the Close microphone seems to be panned hard right, and if I try to move it I can only have it all on the right or all on the left. Has anyone else encountered the same problem?
Maybe it's to keep phase when you blend it with the ensemble patches. Rarely will a horn take center stage anyway, so maybe that's why? I was thinking about getting some of these myself.

Maybe it's to keep phase when you blend it with the ensemble patches. Rarely will a horn take center stage anyway, so maybe that's why? I was thinking about getting some of these myself.
Yeah, sure! My doubts were only about the trombone, because the Close mic doesn't seem to match the position of the tree mic.

Top Bottom