What's new

Intel Macs - ticking time bomb?

They are fast, but one reason is they run in some sort of RAID 0 array if the SSD compliment is more than one. As such, the relative speediness declines for small reads and writes when compared with non-RAIDed SSDs.
They use two drives? I hadn't heard that.

But it must be very small reads and writes, because for example opening System Settings takes about a second. I forget how long it took on my 5,1, but it was several seconds at least.

With any mac you purchase, Apple care is a must. You never know.....
I've never bought it or touch wood needed it. That's about 25 Macs over the 38 years I've been working on them all day long.

Same with every other extended warranty I've turned down, which by coincidence is every single one that was offered.

They don’t use RAID. They are made up of multiple NAND chips with a controller, but so are NVME SSDs.

I've worked out that if I had paid for AppleCare for the last 22 years, it would have cost me much more than what I've spent on repairs in that time.

Like most insurance, it's a bet. Apple is betting you that you won't need a repair. You're betting them that you will. They make more money from AppleCare than they pay out in repairs.

I've worked out that if I had paid for AppleCare for the last 22 years, it would have cost me much more than what I've spent on repairs in that time.

Like most insurance, it's a bet. Apple is betting you that you won't need a repair. You're betting them that you will. They make more money from AppleCare than they pay out in repairs.
This is why I don’t buy Apple Care.

This, and the Sale of Goods Act.

I look at it like this....I paid $200 usd for the first three years of AppleCare. Nothing happened (as expected). I'm now paying around $60 per year until I cancel it (my wife and I spend that at an average restaurant). If the screen dies on my iMac in two years, that's a HUGE cost. If I have this iMac for six years, that's around $455 but spread out over that time. For me personally, that's a very small price to pay. I'm confident nothing will happen, but you just never know, and with my luck I'd have a deadline looming if something happened.

I've needed Apple Care in the past when I didn't pay for it... and when I paid for it I didn't need it 😂

That was the old Apple Care that extended the warranty for two extra years (so three years total).

I'd love to pay the yearly Apple Care that can be extended forever on my M2 MBP because usually computers start degrading after 5 years of use. Unfortunately it's not available in here Mexico.

I look at it like this....I paid $200 usd for the first three years of AppleCare. Nothing happened (as expected). I'm now paying around $60 per year until I cancel it (my wife and I spend that at an average restaurant). If the screen dies on my iMac in two years, that's a HUGE cost. If I have this iMac for six years, that's around $455 but spread out over that time. For me personally, that's a very small price to pay. I'm confident nothing will happen, but you just never know, and with my luck I'd have a deadline looming if something happened.
Exactly... it's a matter of luck. For me, my MacBook went 3 times for repair, and I take care of everything i own with utmost care, so AppleCare was worth it to me. So like i mentioned before, a person that buys expensive hardware shouldn't be bother by paying the additional warranty. If someone doesnt want to pay for it "perfect" but i wouldnt criticize for doing it.

Last edited:
I've had reasonable success with AppleCare. Basically I buy it for laptops—and I generally have got my money back. I bought it for early iPhones but stopped once I got used to them and haven't had an issue or breakage since. I don't buy it for iPads. I haven't typically bought it for desktops. But I did buy it for the new Mac Studio, mostly because the EDU pricing made it relatively cheap and there's so much about the new architecture that seems like can go wrong.

And if you turn down every extended warranty ever offered to you, you'll come out way ahead over your lifetime even if it would have paid off a couple of times. Companies know that, which is why they have their salespeople push so hard to sell them - it's a big earner.

I've posted this many times, but the Golden Rule of Insurance is only to cover what you can't afford to pay out of pocket. A business equipment floater in case the house burns down is in that category. But a computer repair, nah.

So like i mentioned before, a person that buys expensive hardware shouldn't be bother by paying the additional warranty.
It's the principle, not only the amount of money.

Besides, my guess is that most people don't only buy AppleCare, they buy many extended warranties.

Besides, my guess is that most people don't only buy AppleCare, they buy many extended warranties.
Not me. I avoid extended warranties like the plague, AC is literally the only thing I've paid for in the past because I've had 3 macs fail on me, all of which either needed a new logic board or total replacement, (and all of which were MBP's). With replacement costing me over 6k to replace my current machine's specs I prefer to take the bet and pay for AC, as it's worked out in my favor enough times... Both choices are perfectly logical IMO...

I've had 3 macs fail on me, all of which either needed a new logic board or total replacement, (and all of which were MBP's)
It has to be said that MBPs have suffered lots of hardware problems over the years. The 2011 model was a dud; models with additional GPUs would regularly die; and the late Intel models were plagued by overheating. To say nothing of the 2016 keyboard.

We can only hope that the integrated SoC with its cooler running temperature will be more resilient, now that Apple has everything under its control. Given the reliability of phones and iPads, I'm reasonably confident in the M series.

I just moved to a Mac Studio M2 Ultra. It was essentially painless and only took a few hours. I had my old iMac Pro drive CCC'd to an SSD so it took about 90 minutes for the Migration Assistant to copy everything to the new SSD.

I had to update VE Pro 7 to the AS version and reinstall the Kontakt 6 player and one Realivox library but that was it.

I also got the Studio Display and the Touch ID keyboard. The display is really sharp for notation and the Touch ID button simplifies most password entry; some apps don't support Touch ID.

Overall, I'm very, very happy!

**Leigh

Not me. I avoid extended warranties like the plague, AC is literally the only thing I've paid for in the past because I've had 3 macs fail on me, all of which either needed a new logic board or total replacement, (and all of which were MBP's). With replacement costing me over 6k to replace my current machine's specs I prefer to take the bet and pay for AC, as it's worked out in my favor enough times... Both choices are perfectly logical IMO...
Same. Also AppleCare receives a decent EDU discount. Still I don’t even get AC for everything. I do for laptops and i got it for the new Mac Studio because the integrated design means any repair will be pricey, plus support also comes with AC.

£1K desktop with replaceable parts = standard 3-10 years manufacturer warranty on the parts.
£5K laptop that potentially gets moved around and has everything integrated = Apple Care makes sense.

I have a £1K desktop but I don't have a £5K laptop.
What I do have is a Lenovo Yoga Pro 7 14 (8C,16GB,1TB,14.5" WQXGA) Black Friday special (50% off) laptop that came to £645 including an upgraded 3 year next business day on-site warranty.
I paid about £75 for the warranty upgrade from 1 year return to base.
That was not about insurance but more for the convenience of having it fixed at home if required.
Plus, as the warranty is transferrable, if I sell it after 2- 2.5 years the value will still be pretty good.
I used to buy Dell Latitudes with a similar warranty and the depreciation on those after 2.5 years was maybe £200 in total.

Top Bottom