What's new

Intel Macs - ticking time bomb?

*Three* Macs requiring a logic board or total replacement?!

Really?! Out of warranty?!

Well, you're the exception who proves the rule. Your experience is one in a million. That's ridiculous.

I've bought about 25 Macs, and the only one that needed a repair was in warranty (a PowerMac with leaky liquid cooling).

Thinking about it, we did buy a PowerBook in the '90s that wasn't very good. It was thick and black plastic, I forget the model. But it didn't fail, it just wasn't very good.
3 Macs died on me too (power supply issues).
Not an exception and my cautionary tale, at least for myself.
I use Macs only to surf the net, for professional audio work I would never risk it again, especially reading the constant flourish of desperate threads and posts here and elswhere by Mac users.

especially reading the constant flourish of desperate threads and posts here and elswhere by Mac users.
On the other hand, people don't usually post "I have no problems with my computer today". If you search the internet, you'll find people having problems with everything.

Macs tend to do very well in customer satisfaction surveys, like JD Power.

In this video @christianhenson talks about how he scores movies with a laptop and all his studio is connected to his computer with a single cable.

He just unplugs and keeps working on the road with the same DAW, samples, etc.

I unplug my single cable (same Caldigit hub as he uses) and travel all the way to my couch. With my distance, I could use a cheap laptop with remote screen sharing, though, probably, if I wanted to do music away from the desk.

Still no M2 Ultra for laptops... Also if you take a high end desktop PC you'll get better performance than any Apple Silicon chip.

I do 100% agree that today you can use laptops for workloads that were previously only available for desktops.

And you don't even need a super high end MBP. Even a base M1 chip will get you the same performance as desktop chips from a couple of years ago.
If I stick with laptop-as-music-computer, I will have to accept that there are more powerful machines out there. If I can't handle that, I will have to return to a desktop. A laptop will always be a compromise. But, at this point, truthfully, Apple has laptops with higher specs than I need. So, the compromise is just the portability premium you pay for a laptop.

On the other hand, people don't usually post "I have no problems with my computer today". If you search the internet, you'll find people having problems with everything.

Macs tend to do very well in customer satisfaction surveys, like JD Power.
DAW users are a relatively small niche and surely their experiences aren't reflected in broad surveys!
There are plenty of issues with both major platforms and they tend to differ between them.
Choose your poison and enjoy it.

My Mac mini 2012 is working like a charm, and my iMac Pro 2017 is brilliant. Never had problems with them.
They are fine until you need to update the system to run software that requires a system that the old machine can't run. Kontakt is already this way for several of my machines that are still otherwise in use. Chrome has also reached the end of update life on several of my machines.

They are fine until you need to update the system to run software that requires a system that the old machine can't run. Kontakt is already this way for several of my machines that are still otherwise in use. Chrome has also reached the end of update life on several of my machines.
Yes that’s true, but I think I’ll be ok for another year or 2 with the iMac Pro (hopefully).

I use Macs only to surf the net, for professional audio work I would never risk it again, especially reading the constant flourish of desperate threads and posts here and elswhere by Mac users.
I had numerous show-stopping issues on Windows (and PC hardware) prior to switching to Mac in 2013.....and only one show-stopper since, and it was due to a corrupt VEPro update that completely wiped out DNS settings. It's the same with customer service. You rarely hear about the good experiences, only the negative ones.

Last edited:
From my perspective, it all depends on the age of your platform. Anything PC or Mac post 2018 pretty much uses standard parts. Times have moved on. Most laptops come with the majority of their components soldered onto the board, much like the new MAC laptops now. Windows is much more stable now, and crashes are very few and far between. Also it's generally more recoverable too.

They are fine until you need to update the system to run software that requires a system that the old machine can't run.
Fair enough, but I have three PCs in the same position -- can't be updated to Windows 11, with the result that they will reach end of life long before they 'don't work.'

So happy to be on a simpler, all-Mac setup now, even though (to the OP's original question) I didn't get much for my 2019 Intel Mac Pro.

Fair enough, but I have three PCs in the same position -- can't be updated to Windows 11, with the result that they will reach end of life long before they 'don't work.'

So happy to be on a simpler, all-Mac setup now, even though (to the OP's original question) I didn't get much for my 2019 Intel Mac Pro.
I've been a Mac person all my life (bought my first mac in 1986), so no argument from me there. My sense is that PCs are a little more backward compatible, but, yes, they also run into end of life issues before the machine itself gives out. (It's been a long time since I had a Mac, iPhone, or iPad stop working due to some kind of failure. They all either became too slow or couldn't run critical software. Typing this on a mid-2012 MacBook Pro i7 running Mojave, which is still the machine I use of teaching and writing prose. It could be upgraded to Catalina but I keep it on Mojave to ensure that Handbrake continues to work.)

3 Macs died on me too (power supply issues).
Not an exception and my cautionary tale, at least for myself.
I'm sorry you had that happen, but yes, it's absolutely the exception and your comment about a constant flourish... that's not the reality.

It could be upgraded to Catalina but I keep it on Mojave to ensure that Handbrake continues to work.)
Why? Handbrake works on 10.13 and beyond. I run it on Apple Silicon with no issues, and ran it under 10.15 with none either.

You can also install 10.15 on an external drive, boot from it, and test your software before installing it on the internal disk. I personally like Catalina, it was stable, light and not nearly the sotware apocalypse it was made out to be ahead of time.

reading the constant flourish of desperate threads and posts here and elswhere by Mac users.
Is it possible that less computer-savvy folks who just want to make music with a computer are more likely to try to do so on a Mac than a PC?

Running a DAW on any platform is more challenging than firing up Word or a browser, so those folks focused more exclusively on music, who went Mac due to the Mac's reputation for ease of use, are bound to run into issues here and there and thus more likely to show up around these parts with "desperate" posts.

But I do like the "constant flourish" phrase... got me craving a little KD Lang.

Regardless of whatever we feel about Intel and earlier Macs, It does seem the newest Apple machines are and will continue to be very reliable, particularly given their high-quality construction and cool-running nature.

Why? Handbrake works on 10.13 and beyond. I run it on Apple Silicon with no issues, and ran it under 10.15 with none either.
Every time I upgrade systems, I have to fix Handbrake because Apple makes it harder and harder to find and reinstall the libdvdcss files where they need to go. I wasn't able to get it to work on Catalina on my iMac. I haven't tried installing it on the new Mac Studio running Sonoma.

You can also install 10.15 on an external drive, boot from it, and test your software before installing it on the internal disk.
I keep meaning to do this.

I personally like Catalina, it was stable, light and not nearly the sotware apocalypse it was made out to be ahead of time.
I quite liked Catalina as well, and used it for several years on my iMac until the university made me upgrade to Ventura.

Every time I upgrade systems, I have to fix Handbrake because Apple makes it harder and harder to find and reinstall the libdvdcss files where they need to go. I wasn't able to get it to work on Catalina on my iMac. I haven't tried installing it on the new Mac Studio running Sonoma.

I keep meaning to do this.

I quite liked Catalina as well, and used it for several years on my iMac until the university made me upgrade to Ventura.
Ah ok, I thought you were implying you were currently parked on Mojave in general...

My question is who has a new 36 core or 56 core pc running windows and DP or Cubase? And how many instances of kontakt can you run with Vienna ensemble Pro, (7 instances of vienna instruments of 16 channels) and Opus instance. Does it take 8 min to save? Does the PC not max out? Do you notice which is faster PC or Mac pro 2023?
I am in a similar boat, so these are my thoughts:

- maybe some people run that many (36-56) cores, but in reality it is hard to use them all, and besides there is a drawback, as the cpu's with that many cores usually have slower single core perfomance
of course if you need tons >192gb of memory, the choice is server board (xeon)

- AFAIK, DP on Windows is horrible mess, do not recommend going that way, Cubase is a choice on Windows, Studio One, also Pro Tools

hackintosh route:
- you can build a i9-14900 pc that will outperform Mac Pro 2023 (M2 Ultra)
- it can have up to 192gb of ram currently (4x48gb)
- you can install Ventura or Sonoma on it, with opencore (ask your friend to do it for you)
- you can dual boot windows 11 if you wish
this is the best hackintosh community forum i found yet....

also:
these guys (project lead) will show you what newest gen intels are capable of:

it's in italian, but generated english subtitles worked fine for me.

A hackintosh is as much of a time bomb as an Intel Mac. As soon as Apple withdraw support for Intel Macs and build software for only Apple Silicon they will be frozen in time. It’s a platform with no future.

Top Bottom