What's new

Greatest hybrid pop songs with orchestral accompaniment that you know?

ah sorry osterdamus, it's Jobim's "Ana Luiza" from the album "Matita Perê"
Ah, yes, that is beautiful. Hints of this are also found in Wave and Lamento. Seem like a lot happened recording wise between those and Ana Luiza, the latter is much fuller in the mix and stereo field.

So, it says Bowie wrote the original Life On Mars template, as a parody to Sinatras, My Way. Maybe,
Hello,
Well known story here in France :)

David Bowie wanted to sing the English version of the song "Comme d'habitude" by Claude François, but he (Claude François) felt lyrics were a little bit weak. Paul Anka acquired the song rights for the USA and proposed it to Franck Sinatra. Claude François was absolutely blown away that "The Voice" sang his song!
David Bowie, sad that he wasn't chosen to sing the English version, wrote Life On Mars with quite the same harmonic progression, at least at the beginning as a kind of a "parody".

Regards,
Gil.

I think the entire Elton John Live in Australia album is full of this. Arrangements by James Newton Howard (based on Paul Buckmaster's work)!

This one in particular moved me.

Anything and everything hybrid from Hybrid. Almost all of their tracks contain orchestral sections:

If I got the wikipedia page right, they are the producers themselves. Pretty damn good mixing and mastering. (there are some sections where they could have thrown in a 5/4 or something, this is a minus they didnt mess with the time signature).

(*Only VI members listen to 'mixing and mastering')

Last edited:
If I got the wikipedia page right, they are the producers themselves. Pretty damn good mixing and mastering. (there are some sections where they could have thrown in a 5/4 or something, this is a minus they didnt mess with the time signature).

(*Only VI members listen to 'mixing and mastering')
Fun fact: It used to be Harry Greggson-Williams (and his team) who took care of the orchestral arrangement. Nowadays, the reformed duo also works on film scores.

This thread is a treasure to me. Thank you everyone. It seems we forgot Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, or did we?

Here are a couple of favorite songs by the Beatles and one by Sting which might fit the bill. All you need is love is well orchestrated with an orchestra ...

Because is well orchestrated without an orchestra ...

From Sting, we have Mad About You, which has strong orchestral elements in a pop song ...

Top Bottom