What's new

Dorico 4 - "Can Now Use As a DAW?" Discussion

Hi Paolo,

I haven't used VEP in the past and (I guess naively) assumed it was only for VSL instruments.

Does it have the same improvement for non-VSL instruments? Does it work on M1 native, VST3?

And finally, are there any competitors worth considering?

Thanks,
David
I was using a VEP rig with my intel macbook pro and D4. Now I'm on an M1 Max with 64 gigs and haven't turned on the VEP rig in 4 months.

One thing to keep in mind if you're using Dorico as a creation tool and going back and forth between Dorico and a DAW is to turn off humanization in Dorico before you export. Dorico's humanization does quite well for playback but when you export you end up with quantizing errors if you go back and forth.
I exported something with 16th triplets, did some edits in DP, exported back to Dorico and those 16th triplets came back as a mess, as Dorico then reinterpreted and quantized them differently.

Once you watch that step import/export works fairly well.

Very impressive! Did you edit midi in the piano roll, or is that just notation with score markups for dynamics/articulations etc?
The later. Just typed in the notes and Dynamics. Also added test above for changing articulations via expression maps. No editing or CC writing was added.

Best

e

Great stuff indeed!

I like that those dynamics from pppppp to fffff obviously didn't crash neither Dorico nor BBC.

Great stuff indeed!

I like that those dynamics from pppppp to fffff obviously didn't crash neither Dorico nor BBC.
it's annoying but sometimes pppppp is modwheel 01...so to get a full range you have to go crazy. I am sure they will address this

best

e

So this is just the strings. Again only Dynamics and Articulation switching. I've added Eventide Stereo Room and a bit of Black Box and Millenia Twin Compression .

View attachment Flight Risk Strings - Flight Risk v8Dom fiddle BBC.mp3

Best

e
That's awesome, and all from notation software.

I have worked with notation software for years composing for real musicians, but am learning the production side of things now. Am a beginner Logic student and haven't even begun to learn how to record yet...

Have a few questions about D4:

- I'm just learning and have very little experience with how things work after being composed, but if you did all of that in Dorico4, can you export stems, etc. to send to mixing and mastering engineers in a way that'll be easy and straight forward for them?

- Any issues you can predict that might happen using only D4?

- If you're also responsible for mixing and mastering, for sending a fully-completed and fully-professional product, can it all be done in D4 or is there still need for a DAW/Logic to create work that meets industry standards?

- Is all of that done with Vienna Ensemble Pro?

Thanks,
Seabass

can you export stems, etc. to send to mixing and mastering engineers in a way that'll be easy and straight forward for them?
Yes. When you export audio you can send all the staves as individual files in any format.

Any issues you can predict that might happen using only D4?
Well.....as awesome as it is it doesn't yet do surround and automation is basically pointless. For some music you are going to want the flexibility of moving at some stage into a DAW, even if it's just for final tweaks. If this music I put up was for a film or TV show id send it to a DAW at this stage.

If you're also responsible for mixing and mastering, for sending a fully-completed and fully-professional product, can it all be done in D4 or is there still need for a DAW/Logic to create work that meets industry standards?
See Above

Is all of that done with Vienna Ensemble Pro?
Yes. The samples are mostly VSL but there's BERLIN for a lot of the short strings and all the 3rd WW players are BBC. There is also som Berlin Brass Mutes in there too

best

e

Yes. When you export audio you can send all the staves as individual files in any format.

Well.....as awesome as it is it doesn't yet do surround and automation is basically pointless. For some music you are going to want the flexibility of moving at some stage into a DAW, even if it's just for final tweaks. If this music I put up was for a film or TV show id send it to a DAW at this stage.

See Above

Yes. The samples are mostly VSL but there's BERLIN for a lot of the short strings and all the 3rd WW players are BBC. There is also som Berlin Brass Mutes in there too

best

e
Thanks!

So this is just the strings. Again only Dynamics and Articulation switching. I've added Eventide Stereo Room and a bit of Black Box and Millenia Twin Compression .

View attachment Flight Risk Strings - Flight Risk v8Dom fiddle BBC.mp3

Best

e
Are these mainly VSL and Berlin Strings?

I'm new to Dorico, just picked up V4 and am getting up to speed. So far it seems like library choice is important to getting the most realistic results with just dynamics and articulation text (and no midi tweaking). Libraries that have a little bit of 'performance' baked in and don't require constant CC tweaking are working better for me so far.

Will anybody be considering moving over a bulk of their workload to Dorico?
It's not quite there yet, for me, but I'm very interested in making the move one day. I wouldn't work exclusively in Dorico, but I can see a situation where much more of my compositional workflow winds up in Dorico. I think the team will be able to get there. Unfortunately, there are a few Steinberg-style things I don't like too much (mostly to do with UI), which will never change because they're Steinberg-like, but I think they're really quite close as of v4.3.

Top Bottom