What's new

Dorico 4 - "Can Now Use As a DAW?" Discussion

I am starting to suspect that Dorico development is moving in "chapters" (and hope @Daniel S. can confirm). Dorico 4 is the "Workflow" Chapter and the amount of stuff brought to the table is nothing short of incredible. Really incredible.

The Jump Bar and Library Manager alone are absolute standouts in their own right for speed and efficiency.

I pray and hope that Dorico 5 will be the "Playback" Chapter and if v.4 is any indication of how the Dorico team underpromises and overdelivers, it will be just as mind-blowing.

Kudos to the team, this is an amazing update. Don't let the messy license transition confuse that...!

Note input on Dorico 4 has just gone up a notch or two. It's so much easier using a keyboard, just like I would when using a DAW. This alone is simply a game changer, yet alone with the number of options to insert any amendments.

I am starting to suspect that Dorico development is moving in "chapters" (and hope @Daniel S. can confirm). Dorico 4 is the "Workflow" Chapter and the amount of stuff brought to the table is nothing short of incredible. Really incredible.

The Jump Bar and Library Manager alone are absolute standouts in their own right for speed and efficiency.

I pray and hope that Dorico 5 will be the "Playback" Chapter and if v.4 is any indication of how the Dorico team underpromises and overdelivers, it will be just as mind-blowing.

Kudos to the team, this is an amazing update. Don't let the messy license transition confuse that...!
Completely agree

e

Also, just to set the record straight:

It obviously won't be a fully featured MIDI powerhouse like Cubase, Studio One, Logic etc. But
Dorico is already more powerful than Cubase in some MIDI features, especially when it comes to bulk editing (which, for orchestral composing is critical). And with Version 4, you can be even faster by selecting any number of instruments on the fly for bulk editing. Plus the compositional tools of melodic transformation - none of this is available in Cubase.

What Dorico is still missing is sophisticated curve drawing like Cubase, the arranger track, track versions, scrubbing and so on. But I'm pretty sure it will come.

EDIT: some new MIDI editing is already in Dorico 4. And not too shabby either!
1642024140742.png

Last edited:
This is exactly what I was hoping Dorico would become. I'm a classically-trained composer and feel most at home working with notation during the compositional process. Being able to notate first, then work in the key editor & Play mode to produce a realistic mock-up, and finally spit out beautiful scores for publishing - all without having to switch programs... this is a dream come true.

I'm really impressed with the UI as well. Some major improvements all around.

Dorico is my complete DAW now. Very excited about this!
Same

I'd bet the new midi import fonctions (almost unbelievable what they've been able to do), just got about 10,000 people in California to throw away Sibelius and pick-up Dorico!
10,001. I think I'm going to jump ship from Sibelius. My dream is to be able to create realistic mockups using traditional notation––Steinberg seems closer to realizing that than Avid, also, don't get me started on Avid. :)

I'll still be on Nuendo since Dorico doesn't support multichannel surround yet.
I'll probably work on Nuendo and move to Dorico if I need to real recording. I'm hoping Dorico's Smart MIDI Import will do a good job of this.

How do you assign a VST to an instrument? I cannot figure this out for the life of me.

I see that there is a BBCSO template for Dorico. Does anyone know of others? Is there by chance an Orchestral Tools Berlin template?

How do you assign a VST to an instrument? I cannot figure this out for the life of me.
I'm new to Dorico and I really had a hard time with this (trying out SE tonight):

On the "Play" screen, have the track selected, go to the "VST Rack" and add your VST. After, click the "Inspector" button and below that "Routing", click the drop down and select the VST you added to the rack.

• Love
Reactions: JF
Where? I know Cubase always had a very rudimentary mirror and reverse function, but nothing nearly as sophisticated as the new Dorico transformations.
cubase1.PNG

you can do most things in Cubase. You have to make the presets In either this or Logical editor but it's all there.

best

e

Any suggestion on the best way to handle track delay? At the moment , in Cubase using Cinematic Studio Strings, I have the long notes on one track with a 333ms delay and the shorts on another track with a 60ms delay.

I guess in Dorico I would need to adjust each note individually in the key editor if they're all one one staff.
This IS a required Feature. I would suggest DORICO having it in the expression maps "Playback Option Overrides'". Just have a button for either positive or negative amounts

best

e

This IS a required Feature. I would suggest DORICO having it in the expression maps "Playback Option Overrides'". Just have a button for either positive or negative amounts
You make it sound so simple to implement just add a button and a value in a field. However it requires a lot of work in the playback engine to support a series of tracks each having different delays that all need to be lined up to play at the same time.

You make it sound so simple to implement just add a button and a value in a field. However it requires a lot of work in the playback engine to support a series of tracks each having different delays that all need to be lined up to play at the same time.
i'm not sure I made myself clear. In the Expression maps Dialogue there already IS a button to add a delay under the humanise function. Just allow a negative value
human.PNG
best

ed

About Dorico and Cubase: are you sure that most of the Dorico users are Cubase users ?
I am a Logic and Dorico user, and clearly a better integration with Cubase at the expenses of better integration of generic third party DAWs (like MIDI file import) would be a negative point for me.
So, depending on how strong the correlation between Cubase users and Dorico users, the market priority may not be in Cubase integration.
Maurizio

I'm new to Dorico and I really had a hard time with this (trying out SE tonight):

On the "Play" screen, have the track selected, go to the "VST Rack" and add your VST. After, click the "Inspector" button and below that "Routing", click the drop down and select the VST you added to the rack.
Thanks so much man!

This is a mega update! certainly an exciting time to be a notation person now

I don't think you can consider Dorico anywhere near a DAW though. DAW = Digital AUDIO workstation... and there's no audio features here at all.

BUT if you're a MIDI guy... a virtual instrument tweaker guy... this is cool

Top Bottom