What's new

Do you use Legato true Sordino?

I actually bought Duality Sordino, and it sounded wonderful. Then Jay Asher made me do the unthinkable - I pressed HOOPUS' fake Sordino button. It also sounded wonderful, surprisingly so and it cost me £0. The final straw was getting an additional free license on request for HOOPUS so I could put the strings on the macbook (Main Mix only), something I couldn't do with Duality. I was in the VSL 14 day grace period so I gratefully got a refund for Duality.

Of course they didn't sound identical and of course Duality had some features HOOPUS doesn't. But for me the end result wasn't distinct enough to justify the outlay. As a result my answer to the OP is no.

I actually bought Duality Sordino, and it sounded wonderful. Then Jay Asher made me do the unthinkable - I pressed HOOPUS' fake Sordino button. It also sounded wonderful, surprisingly so and it cost me £0. The final straw was getting an additional free license on request for HOOPUS so I could put the strings on the macbook (Main Mix only), something I couldn't do with Duality. I was in the VSL 14 day grace period so I gratefully got a refund for Duality.

Of course they didn't sound identical and of course Duality had some features HOOPUS doesn't. But for me the end result wasn't distinct enough to justify the outlay. As a result my answer to the OP is no.
That’s an interesting POV. I bought and actually kept Duality Sordino, but then I discovered Sordina 2, a well designed and excellent sounding mute emulator which has a good thread here on VI-C. I use it with Synchron Brass which doesn’t have mutes, and frankly if I’d known about it before I got SDS Sordino, I’d probably have saved the money. Don’t mind though, since I only have that one sordino library and it’s excellent.

What would be the best sordino legato library to fit with Spitfire Audio libraries (BBCSO, Air)?
Maybe you can just use the Sordina plugin with your Spitfire Plugins. I don't have it but it's on my wishlist.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't carefully read the post by @andrewfreib

Last edited:
What would be the best sordino legato library to fit with Spitfire Audio libraries (BBCSO, Air)?
Like others have said: the sordino patches already in there? If you’re looking for one dedicated library I think the OT and VSL Duality (on sale currently) one’s are great. Or buy 8Dio’s Century Bundle, on sale for 50 bucks as we speak.

I think the point is that Spitfire usually just has longs and one or two shorts for sordinos (sometimes also some very nice 1/2+1/2 patches) but most libs don't come with sampled sordino legatos.
That is indeed a valid point. So to clarify: I’d use whatever patches I did have and then add the ones I mentioned in the case I’d want true legato sordinos.

Thoughts on Sonokinetic's Sordino Strings?
I was fortunate to grab a copy for free during the promotion period. For the time being, this is my only dedicated ensemble strings library along with 8dio Adagietto and Session Strings from NI. I also have BBCSO, Albions, OACE, BDT, Originals, and some other tools.

I have yet to use this library in praxis. Overall, I like its sound and features. Despite being a sordino-only library, I think this might be useful for doing string arrangements for neoclassical, new age, and pop pieces (that I do often). It also has interesting auto-divisi and run features. The biggest limitation in my book is the lack of short articulations. It even lacks a pizzicato one. But the included spiccato patches are surprisingly agile and have plenty of RRs.

I think the point is that Spitfire usually just has longs and one or two shorts for sordinos (sometimes also some very nice 1/2+1/2 patches) but most libs don't come with sampled sordino legatos.
Correct. I love the muted sounds in BBCSO and SSS. But need legatos for melodic lines.

I forgot that SCS does have a muted legato and will try that today, also the emulation in CSS.

Thank you for all the suggestions!

Not at my computer but I believe Nashville Scoring Strings has sordino legato, both real and fake.

Top Bottom