What's new

Dirk Ulrich leaves NI.

I lately got an email from NI, that the newest Kontakt 7 update is fully Sonoma compatible. Two days later I got a second email, that it isn't fully compatible.

And yes, I remember, that they once needed over half a year to get compatible with the latest macOS release. Since then I usually upgrade macOS in summer to avoid issues.

So ... yes ... the money people took over :-( You also see that with the latest synth releases ... Analog Dreams, Ashlight, etc. ... all the same minimalistic concept. The days of good new Reaktor based synths like Razor seem to be over.
So is this the issue of the blank screen on Kontakt 7. I would have to upgrade a graphics card just to use 7 on Windows. Real brilliance there NI. That kind of nonsense is for game developers.

So is this the issue of the blank screen on Kontakt 7. I would have to upgrade a graphics card just to use 7 on Windows. Real brilliance there NI. That kind of nonsense is for game developers.
"There's so many things people fail to see in Kontakt." You said so...

😎

For real if this ship goes down. I wonder if we can make sure the development of stuff like Kontakt ends up in good, non-cash-hungry hands.
This really makes me wonder: do we actually live in a capitalist society or when did people start to really believe in the empty corporate phrases like “we work with passion to make this world a better place”? In capitalism, everyone works because of cash hunger. On an individual basis you might find some people here that also have other motives like enjoying their work, although that is a second thought for most people, as you have to be able to afford that “mindset” to start with …

However, when we are talking about companies, forget it! They are all in it for cash hunger. And the bigger they get the greedier they get. And this is not by accident.

The best thing we can hope for is that someone decides that to much greed could be counterproductive as it could destroy the whole company. So, the best we may get is a moderately cash hungry Native Instruments. No one will ever buy NI just to ensure that composers keep their tools. Everyone who’d buy it would only do it in expectation of great profit.

Yeah nothing is too big to fail. On a long enough timeline all companies die yada yada.
There's quite a difference between the "too big to fail" kind of company and NI, though. It'd undoubtedly be a big problem for users that are heavily invested into NIs ecosystem if they went under, but I don't feel like they have much to offer these days that cannot be replaced. Maybe I'm wrong. Idk.

There's quite a difference between the "too big to fail" kind of company and NI, though. It'd undoubtedly be a big problem for users that are heavily invested into NIs ecosystem if they went under, but I don't feel like they have much to offer these days that cannot be replaced. Maybe I'm wrong. Idk.
NI won't ever go away imo. Maybe it goes BK and reemerges, or maybe it gets sold again.

LOL, maybe Dirk buys it a year or two from now for 10 cents on the dollar. Wouldn't that be a hoot! Stranger things have happened!

I went to a store yesterday and interac was down. They said almost nobody has cash so they lost the day of sales. iLok used to freak people out for this. But imagine what would happen if we woke up one day and native access killed Kontakt, that would suck.

What I meant is that NI is not going to close shop any time soon. It's not a sinking ship by any stretch of the imagination.

What I meant is that NI is not going to close shop any time soon. It's not a sinking ship by any stretch of the imagination.
Nope. They are also a popular hardware company.
The exception is if Gibson buys them.

This really makes me wonder: do we actually live in a capitalist society or when did people start to really believe in the empty corporate phrases like “we work with passion to make this world a better place”? In capitalism, everyone works because of cash hunger. On an individual basis you might find some people here that also have other motives like enjoying their work, although that is a second thought for most people, as you have to be able to afford that “mindset” to start with …

However, when we are talking about companies, forget it! They are all in it for cash hunger. And the bigger they get the greedier they get. And this is not by accident.

The best thing we can hope for is that someone decides that to much greed could be counterproductive as it could destroy the whole company. So, the best we may get is a moderately cash hungry Native Instruments. No one will ever buy NI just to ensure that composers keep their tools. Everyone who’d buy it would only do it in expectation of great profit.
Hasn't happened yet. I wouldn't hold out on that. You gotta love small developers.

Seems relevant to the discussion: a pithy word to describe this trend.

It's a disease.

Shit eventually rolls down hill.

Native Asshat - often broken
Izotope - logging into your account broken

What is starting to irritate me more with developers requiring you to have their app jut to get the product. It can be a headache for someone starting a new build from scratch.

Couldn't have said it better, exactly my thoughts! And you can find a lot of examples if you look around...

Top Bottom