What's new

Cinematic Studio Strings

Do you guys ever max cc1 with CSS? I've been using it for everything lately and I'm always in the 5-60 range. I can't really explain why... Don't know if it's my gain staging or maybe I'm not too fond of the timbre at higher dynamics.

not always the case but yea....i ever do that.

Glad to know I’m not alone, was starting to think I could have something messed up in my gain staging. I do find that I need to boost the gain on some libraries in order to play them at lower dynamics and still achieve a decent level in the final mix. The drawback is that the noise floor of some libraries is raised considerably but depending on the style of the track I actually like it.

Hello everyone!

I am someone who really likes to work with separate articulations in a template instead of using Keyswitches or something else. Now, of course I can load and unload each articulation in CSS and have them all separated that way, but I noticed with all these instances of CSS loaded it eats up a lot of CPU power. Is that because of all the scripting that is going on in the background? Would it work smoother if they would program individual patches?

And another thing, could we PLEASE get just Keyswitches (or individual patches) for HS/WS Trills, so that I am able to play trill chords in real time with one hand. Pressing two keys at once doesn't really work for me. It is also not possible to play e.g. C-D WS and D-E WS trills at the same time, because you already press the note D for the C-D WS trill. The current trills programming doesn't really work for me, it really slows down the worklflow and makes the handling unnecessary complicated.

So, would love to have individual patches for each articulation in order to save CPU power and change the trills to keyswitch and/or individual patches please in order to make it possible that I can play trill chords in the same way I can play chords in all the other patches. Would be great to have these options in a little update.

Thanks in advance! :)

Hello everyone!

I am someone who really likes to work with separate articulations in a template instead of using Keyswitches or something else. Now, of course I can load and unload each articulation in CSS and have them all separated that way, but I noticed with all these instances of CSS loaded it eats up a lot of CPU power. Is that because of all the scripting that is going on in the background? Would it work smoother if they would program individual patches?

And another thing, could we PLEASE get just Keyswitches (or individual patches) for HS/WS Trills, so that I am able to play trill chords in real time with one hand. Pressing two keys at once doesn't really work for me. It is also not possible to play e.g. C-D WS and D-E WS trills at the same time, because you already press the note D for the C-D WS trill. The current trills programming doesn't really work for me, it really slows down the worklflow and makes the handling unnecessary complicated.

So, would love to have individual patches for each articulation in order to save CPU power and change the trills to keyswitch and/or individual patches please in order to make it possible that I can play trill chords in the same way I can play chords in all the other patches. Would be great to have these options in a little update.

Thanks in advance! :)

Hold Alt and left-click the keyswitches/sections you don't want to be loaded. With this you can only load sustain instances and everything else unloaded.

Hold Alt and left-click the keyswitches/sections you don't want to be loaded. With this you can only load sustain instances and everything else unloaded.

Hi Alex, yeah, I know and it does work, but all these instances of CSS eat up a lot of my CPU power.
Example: I load an instance of CSS and unload everything except the Staccato. Then I load another instance of CSS and unload everything again except the tremolos and so on.... Yes, that way I get individual articulations, but it's the instance of CSS itself that takes a lot of CPU power, not the loaded articulation. I am also not talking about RAM!! I really mean the CPU processor.

I think that is due to the fact that an instance of CSS has a lot of scripting going on in the background. If they would program individual instances for each articulation, like LASS for example, it would be way more CPU friendly. I could be wrong, but it really feels like individual programed articulation patches wouldn't generate so much CPU workload.

Hi Alex, yeah, I know and it does work, but all these instances of CSS eat up a lot of my CPU power.
Example: I load an instance of CSS and unload everything except the Staccato. Then I load another instance of CSS and unload everything again except the tremolos and so on.... Yes, that way I get individual articulations, but it's the instance of CSS itself that takes a lot of CPU power, not the loaded articulation. I am also not talking about RAM!! I really mean the CPU processor.

I think that is due to the fact that an instance of CSS has a lot of scripting going on in the background. If they would program individual instances for each articulation, like LASS for example, it would be way more CPU friendly. I could be wrong, but it really feels like individual programed articulation patches wouldn't generate so much CPU workload.

Tino, sorry, I was probably reading a bit too fast :)
Yes, I see, it makes sense that the CPU power is always the same because the full scripting is needed, disregarding what articulations you mute or unload.

How about deactivating the tracks you don't need? I mean, it is highly unlikely that you always need every articulation of every instrument, no?

Tino, sorry, I was probably reading a bit too fast :)
Yes, I see, it makes sense that the CPU power is always the same because the full scripting is needed, disregarding what articulations you mute or unload.

How about deactivating the tracks you don't need? I mean, it is highly unlikely that you always need every articulation of every instrument, no?

No problem. :) Yeah, that is something I do occasionally, but I HATE that! :D Really, I don't wanna use any kind of workarounds if it could be as simple as just some individual patches. I am happy to pay for such an update if it takes a lot of time to program these patches, no problem with that, but to have that option would make my life and probably the life of some other people so much easier.

But thank you very much for confirming my guess that it's due to the scripting that all these instances indeed eat up a lot of CPU, much appreciated! :)

No problem. :D Yeah, that is something I do occasionally, but I HATE that! :D Really, I don't wanna use any kind of workarounds if it could be as simple as just some individual patches. I am happy to pay for such an update if it takes a lot of time to program these patches, no problem with that, but to have that option would make my life and probably the life of some other people so much easier.

But thank you very much for confirming my guess that it's due to the scripting that all these instances indeed eat up a lot of CPU, much appreciated! :)

I hear ya, may I ask what CPU you have? I am on an 7-year-old 6core 3andsomethingGhz and I never experienced that CSS is eating that much CPU ...

I hear ya, may I ask what CPU you have? I am on an 7-year-old 6core 3andsomethingGhz and I never experienced that CSS is eating that much CPU ...

I use a Mac Pro 2009, 2x 2,93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB Ram, 4x 1 TB standard HDD 7.200rpm.

I use multiple instances of CSS, since there are no divisi patches I added some extra instances to have Violins A and B, Violas A and B... 10 instances in total in one template. I just wanna have full control and write my divisi sections individually. Everything works perfectly fine. Of course I have a lot of other stuff going on (Brass, Woods, Perc..) and no problems at all. But if I really want to load individual articulations for CSS, the system is at its max and barely usable.

Admittedly, I've only had it for a few hours, but i'm already finding CSS and the legato transitions inspiring for writing. Here's a small snippet of 1st, 2nd, violas, cellos and basses with a bit of Lexicon reverb on the top. I've tried to avoid obsessing about the delay and just manually moving things around to fit naturally.

Admittedly, I've only had it for a few hours, but i'm already finding CSS and the legato transitions inspiring for writing. Here's a small snippet of 1st, 2nd, violas, cellos and basses with a bit of Lexicon reverb on the top. I've tried to avoid obsessing about the delay and just manually moving things around to fit naturally.

Great first try!!! Sounds fantastic. Can't wait to hear what else you do

Really nice, Nick.

May i ask what type of hall/chamber and settings you used?

Really nice, Nick.

May i ask what type of hall/chamber and settings you used?
Sure. Lol - it's going to look like a lot now that I said "with a bit of Lexicon reverb" but did a few other tweaks too, just by ear. Some corrective EQ on each channel, mainly boosting high end and taking out any nasty hi mids and low-mid fluff. Some low cuts on the violas down to the basses, but not a ton. I also flipped the stereo image on the 2nd violins as I quite like them to be on the right a bit more. Tried the UAD Fairchild on the Main Strings Bus (have a Strings Long, Strings Short going to a Main Strings Bus) - and the Tape plugin which sounded better on than off. Might have to attach the rest to another post. Cheers!

Attachments

• Lexi Strings.JPG
    Lexi Strings.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 1st Violins EQ.JPG
    1st Violins EQ.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 43
  • 2nd Violins EQ.JPG
    2nd Violins EQ.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Violas.JPG
    Violas.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 33
  • Cellos.JPG
    Cellos.JPG
    166.9 KB · Views: 36
Sure. Lol - it's going to look like a lot now that I said "with a bit of Lexicon reverb" but did a few other tweaks too, just by ear. Some corrective EQ on each channel, mainly boosting high end and taking out any nasty hi mids and low-mid fluff. Some low cuts on the violas down to the basses, but not a ton. I also flipped the stereo image on the 2nd violins as I quite like them to be on the right a bit more. Tried the UAD Fairchild on the Main Strings Bus (have a Strings Long, Strings Short going to a Main Strings Bus) - and the Tape plugin which sounded better on than off. Might have to attach the rest to another post. Cheers!
Thank you very much for sharing =)

Haha! I also thought you had done something in terms of EQ because they did not sound like they do out of the box (although not hugely different, they had a nicer sound overall) but because you said "with a bit of Lexicon" i thought it was be due to the fact that my ears were tired.

The biggest problem with me in CSS always seems to be the hiss. I don´t know if it´s the mics, noise floor or what it is but i can never fully get rid of it without making it sound bad and dead. I also hear a bit of that hiss/noise it in your example. Not a critique on your mixing of course, since that was just an example and probably a rough sketch; but you managed to do a better job in terms of not making it sound bad.

Would love to hear the full piece once it´s done, if you ever finish it or turn it into something that is. I´ll be sure to show a little support in terms of liking and commenting on it as as a show of appreciation for your kindness to share your settings.

Since purchasing CSS, I've been working on my template, ways to simplify whilst retaining a well-balanced decently engineered starting point from which to start my own work.

One of my favourite pieces is Desplat's Obliviate from the penultimate Harry Potter film, and i've started mocking it up with the libraries I have - but particularly to see how CSS fares on the long sweeping violins line, the viola/cello counterpoint and the short ostinatos. Strings-wise in the shorts, there is also a smidge of LASS in there, with VSL Dbl Pizz doing the lowest short line.

I have to say I LOVE the expression/emotion in this library, but there is a noise issue I still can't get past, and it tends to rear its ugly head when the lines get quite busy. A lot of layering of room mic, main mic and some close mic noise. Further finessing perhaps needed as I finish the mockup.

Anyway, here is the snippet.

I have to say I LOVE the expression/emotion in this library, but there is a noise issue I still can't get past, and it tends to rear its ugly head when the lines get quite busy. A lot of layering of room mic, main mic and some close mic noise. Further finessing perhaps needed as I finish the mockup.
We only hear a lot of hiss on the main mics. Alex mentioned in one answer earlier:
The library isn't designed to use the main mics as the most prominent part of the sound. They are there to provide the ambience and stereo image, and the close mics can be used to dial in extra detail as required. I do hear your point though, and I'm intending on applying noise reduction to the main mics eventually and re-packaging / re-releasing the samples. This won't be happening for at least 6 months though, so I'll have to ask you to hang in there till then. :)
Excerpt from the topic about CSSS noisy

So I suppose to keep the main mics, you can try to apply noise reduction exclusively on them.
Has anyone managed to do this well, without significant damage?

¿Hola! Cómo estás? Soy un nuevo usuario de CSS, me encanta su sonido pero llevo días tratando de luchar para poder usarlo con Finale, porque es el programa donde más tiempo paso, lo sé en la cinemática. página de estudio advierten que no admiten el uso de su producto en este tipo de software pero quería saber si hay alguien que haya podido usarlo sin tener problemas de notas pegadas o sonidos que se quedan sonando al exportar o en su totalidad reproducción. Es posible resolver esto o definitivamente no

Top Bottom