What's new

Cinematic Studio Brass?

Very simple :) I dragged in a an Apple Loop for brass, and replaced the default instrument with the default patch for the Ark Horns, and deleted all the MIDI ccs. I then did the same for all the others.
Hi Jay,

Are you really sure that the second example is Metropolis? It has no hall in the sound...

-Hannes

Pretty sure but I will double check.

I am saying this because it sounds like something is really quite screwed up. I have not been able to make Ark 1's 9 horn sound like this, which is simultaneously muted sounding, dry, and the stereo image seems quite different as well.

If it is Ark 1, does it always sound this way for you? If so, you should probably check your settings. Something ain't right.

Nope it's the default mics, but yes deleting the MIDI ccs is what changed the sound.

Now you hear CSB followed by Ark followed by Hollywood Brass.
Now, what were those CCs doing to change the sound like that? The panning shifted, the tree sounded like it was deactivated and there are other aspects of the sound that didn’t sound characteristic of the Ark a9 patch. Most curious.

Raiders March is harder than it looks!

I played it one way and then went to the recording and realized I was all wrong. You really gotta have those sharp attacks otherwise it loses all the jaunty quality.

Don't use marcatos here, it'll turn it into "Blah-de blargh blargh, Blah-de blargh." :rofl: Another thing I noticed on the recording is that the trumpets play a tiny bit ahead of the beat, and they also make those 16th upbeats really tight and snappy.

I'm still not 100% satisfied with this but I have work to do so that's it for now ;)

I played it one way and then went to the recording and realized I was all wrong. You really gotta have those sharp attacks otherwise it loses all the jaunty quality.

Don't use marcatos here, it'll turn it into "Blah-de blargh blargh, Blah-de blargh." :rofl: Another thing I noticed on the recording is that the trumpets play a tiny bit ahead of the beat, and they also make those 16th upbeats really tight and snappy.

I'm still not 100% satisfied with this but I have work to do so that's it for now ;)

Wow!! That's amazing!!

Would you mind sharing the midi for this mockup?

with apologies if I have been beaten to it already - a couple of "standards" for ref

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/binary-mp3.17154/][/AUDIOPLUS]

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/imperial-march-mp3.17155/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Those are pretty good mockups! Alex has made a wonderful tool for composers.

Oh interesting! I did use marcatos only for the melody. I thought it sounded decent. The poor timing is my own. I did this live except for the quick legato switch for a moment,and I'm not much of a keyboardist. Guitarist by trade.

Last edited:

Nice use of articulations to gain a realistic performance. The D's (trumpet) at 0:18-00:21 are stifled though and need to have more punch/re-tongue. Is there any way to do that with CSB?

with apologies if I have been beaten to it already - a couple of "standards" for ref

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/binary-mp3.17154/][/AUDIOPLUS]

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/imperial-march-mp3.17155/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Was that CSS and CSB?

Top Bottom