What's new

Audiobro Modern Scoring Strings

If I am not mistaken they were considering an intermediate solution (as integrating both into one exceeded the number of available Kontakt zones - or something like that...) which is: They were/are(?) contemplating the possibility of a keyswitch that triggers silence. That way you could put a MSS and a MSS expanded patch on the same MIDI channel in one Kontakt instance and assign keyswitches in "mirror image". E.g. In the "normal" patch you assign all your desired KS's and where you want to put an expanded legato sound you put a KS that triggers silence. In the expanded patch you assign silence to all KS's except the ones you left silent in the other patch and you'd put the expanded legato sounds there. Et voila... (Not sure if this effectively coming in a next update though...).
The SF Kontakt instruments let you assign key switches across Kontakt instances all on the same midi channel. The Audiobro articulation sets seem set up as values on a single keyswitch just like the SF instruments using UACC so this functionality should be possible. Has anyone tried simply adding the expansion to the same Kontakt instance and then modifying the output keyswitches in the articulation set so they don’t overlap?

Why don't simply add the samples, and keep the workflow. If an arco articulation can play legato, just make the spordino play legato the exact same way, rather that haviong to add a patch or trigger that "silence ks" I don't understand (because I'm not english native maybe).
Kontakt is limited in the size/number of samples for an instrument. This is the main reason Spitfire created their own instrument, from what I understood. Embertone also complained about it when the Walker - which is why each mic was a separate instrument. It doesn't surprise me that MSS ran out of slots in their instrument and had to do a second one.

I wish they just make this extension work in the same instrument slot. My workflow is one instrument = one track. I'd hate to have to load another one only for sordino legato. And having to tweak everything again is a nightmare (ks, look-ahead shortcut, cc automations, fx, etc).
Not sure what DAW you're using of course, but for instruments I use often, I make this a once time configuration, then save as a Logic preset.

Can’t you just add the extended legatos to the same Kontakt instance in another midi channel and then use an articulation or expression set to select from the track? You have to get the CCs to the right midi channel but otherwise this has always worked for me to get everything onto one track. (I only have the expansion and so may be missing something with respect to how the two work together).
What DAW are you using JB? Thanks!

What DAW are you using JB? Thanks!
Logic. And I don’t know how this might work with the full MSS (I only have the expanded legato). But I’ve done this sort of set with other complex libraries (e.g., Berlin Strings) to get everything on one track. And I noticed that the expanded legatos come with articulation sets that are triggered by velocities on a single key switch so it seems like you can likely rework the articulation sets to accommodate everything in the same midi channel, though I don’t know the actual complexity of the main MSS library.

Still, the multi midi channel methodology should also work fine, though you have to ensure that CCs propagate to all the midi channels. (Logic doesn’t generally want to send CCs to all midi channels.)

Hi, just posted a mockup using MSS in this thread:

I'm very new to mixing and stuff, would love som feedback in the thread above!
Just wanted to post it here as well since it's a mockup using only MSS.

Top Bottom