What's new

Audiobro Modern Scoring Strings

ok i promise i'm not an idiot BUT

how in god's name do you update MSS? I went to the ADC and tried to install latest update and..... it just reinstalls the current version I have (1.2.2)

i only know there's a v 1.3 because i saw a screen shot of the download center (thanks Audiobro /s)
I just checked my ADC and MSS is still on version 1.22 for me. Are you sure you didn’t mistakenly look at LASS 3, which is on version 3.01?

1682650788134.png

I'm going based off of this picture on the ADC page which shows MSS and the expansion on 1.3

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-27 at 8.06.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-27 at 8.06.59 PM.png
    92.5 KB · Views: 30
I'm going based off of this picture on the ADC page which shows MSS and the expansion on 1.3
Hm, odd. My guess is either it’s a screenshot from a beta version of the library that’s still being tested out, or it’s a composite image created as a preview and they neglected to use the current version number. ’Cause it’s still showing v1.22 on my ADC (just checked again), and I don’t see any mention of a 1.3 update anywhere else.

As far as I can tell, v1.22 is still the latest available version of MSS. Maybe @dxmachina can confirm?

As there the Spring sale is ending soon, i am wondering if you would buy MSS for their special features alone for 359?
I am happen to have many good string libraries, but i am looking especially for the ostinato, auto-rhythm and runs features...
What do you think?
Is it worth alone for these feature to buy at this price?

Thx for your feedback!

As there the Spring sale is ending soon, i am wondering if you would buy MSS for their special features alone for 359?
I am happen to have many good string libraries, but i am looking especially for the ostinato, auto-rhythm and runs features...
What do you think?
Is it worth alone for these feature to buy at this price?

Thx for your feedback!
I personally would wait for Black Friday. The discount is higher at that time of year or, at least, it has been in previous years (it is not a guarantee that they will repeat it this year but...)

If you're not in a hurry.... xD

Spitfire's runs legatos are pretty capable, the "slurred shorts" layering technique works pretty well, and Performance Samples libraries can do pretty believable ostenatos in my opinion. For that too, layering a few libraries together also disguises stitched transitions pretty well. There is a good amount of opportunity here to save $350+.

For me, MSS' detune and aleatorics are a lot faster for that type of sound than doing things manually. While it isn't generally faster, I do like the MSS ostenatos and the workflow is mostly very simple, same goes for the runs, which you can pretty easily slot into wherever they're needed, but for them especially you will more often run into needing keyswitches to adjust scale/interval groupings or metric division. Depending on your libraries, manual ostenatos with legato patches may sound frenetic in comparison to pre-recorded like in MSS, that's something to check on your own against the demo video. Especially with something like SCS legato, MSS ostenatos are night and day better. Presumably true for SSS also, but I wouldn't know about Appassionata. I'd also assume CSS would be capable of some very believable and beautiful-sounding ostenatos between its legato or marcato performance patches.

I'm currently tinkering with MSS Rhythm Tool and i'm experiencing the strangest thing: every time I stop playback (using spacebar in Logic), the Power button of the Rhythm tools turns off. Strange behavior... i've checked and double checked that's it's no some random midi data recorded somwhere, but it's 100% vanilla.

Anyone else experienced this?

1695015621914.png

I'm currently tinkering with MSS Rhythm Tool and i'm experiencing the strangest thing: every time I stop playback (using spacebar in Logic), the Power button of the Rhythm tools turns off. Strange behavior... i've checked and double checked that's it's no some random midi data recorded somwhere, but it's 100% vanilla.

Anyone else experienced this?

1695015621914.png
I think that's because the rhythm tool's activation is tied to the sustain pedal (CC64) by default, if I'm not mistaken. Sounds like Logic is taking the liberty to reset certain CCs on stop among which CC64 is getting reset to 0 (as if to make sure nothing lingers beyond pressing stop).

I wish they just make this extension work in the same instrument slot. My workflow is one instrument = one track. I'd hate to have to load another one only for sordino legato. And having to tweak everything again is a nightmare (ks, look-ahead shortcut, cc automations, fx, etc).

I wish they just make this extension work in the same instrument slot. My workflow is one instrument = one track. I'd hate to have to load another one only for sordino legato. And having to tweak everything again is a nightmare (ks, look-ahead shortcut, cc automations, fx, etc).
If I am not mistaken they were considering an intermediate solution (as integrating both into one exceeded the number of available Kontakt zones - or something like that...) which is: They were/are(?) contemplating the possibility of a keyswitch that triggers silence. That way you could put a MSS and a MSS expanded patch on the same MIDI channel in one Kontakt instance and assign keyswitches in "mirror image". E.g. In the "normal" patch you assign all your desired KS's and where you want to put an expanded legato sound you put a KS that triggers silence. In the expanded patch you assign silence to all KS's except the ones you left silent in the other patch and you'd put the expanded legato sounds there. Et voila... (Not sure if this effectively coming in a next update though...).

Why don't simply add the samples, and keep the workflow. If an arco articulation can play legato, just make the spordino play legato the exact same way, rather that haviong to add a patch or trigger that "silence ks" I don't understand (because I'm not english native maybe).

Why don't simply add the samples, and keep the workflow. If an arco articulation can play legato, just make the spordino play legato the exact same way, rather that haviong to add a patch or trigger that "silence ks" I don't understand (because I'm not english native maybe).
There are WAY more samples involved in a legato patch than in a sustain patch (especially when there are multiple mics involved) and as I understand it there were some limitations in Kontakt that prevented them from putting everything in one patch.

Can’t you just add the extended legatos to the same Kontakt instance in another midi channel and then use an articulation or expression set to select from the track? You have to get the CCs to the right midi channel but otherwise this has always worked for me to get everything onto one track. (I only have the expansion and so may be missing something with respect to how the two work together).

Top Bottom