What's new

Am I even close to what it takes?

my circumstances are very similar to yours, except I've had the opportunity to score some indie films because I knew people. There's a million capable scoring professionals who are miles ahead of you and me in knowledge, experience, and network, so "making it" will most likely happen by virtue of unique opportunities you create for yourself.
When that happens, stay within what you know. You can score using a few orchestral instruments, but I wouldn't dare try to score a full orchestra until I knew mine sounded as good as today's standards (and I'm not close). Also, great hooks/songs are crucial, but sound quality is crucial too, especially in the scoring realm. You have to practice/learn production. Lastly, don't overthink your music, don't get too clever with it. Don't use an odd time signature just for the sake of it, use it because it makes the music compelling and drives the visual you've been hired to support.

I have a similar background as you (guitar player, though not metal, ok music theory grounding) and I'm doing some orchestral music as well. Quite different from yours, trying more for a small-orchestra symphony sound rather than soundtrack music. I admire your work very much, but like a few others in this thread, I have no idea what "making it" really means. For me, at least, I have zero illusions about making a living at this or even getting more than a handful of listeners on streaming platforms. My orchestration skills are still pretty primitive, as is my mastery of midi and instrumentation. But, being recently retired, I figure I have all the time I need to do this, and if what I come up with sounds like what's in my aging brain, I figure that's the best I can hope for. And to get better as I go.

FWIW, from my own kindergarten-level perspective, I'd say you're off to a real good start. Cheers.

Top Bottom