What's new

About Update of Noteperformer 4 ?

Hello Arne
In view of the growing competition (sibelius sound set) currently, what are Noteperformer's current development projects and have you considered a future release date?
I would be grateful to know what is in the pipeline as well.

The next NotePerformer update will add several new orchestral engines, including Synchron Series and CineSeries for Musio. The BBCSO engines add support for the new BBCSO piano.

There will also be portamento support (for native NP and for applicable NPPE engines having recorded portamento) and significant timing improvements for NPPE legato transitions. There are many more minor fixes and improvements, but those are some of the key features.

Last edited:
Hello Arne..thank you very much for all this good news.. do you have an idea of the future update? when will all this be available?

The next NotePerformer update will add several new orchestral engines, including Spitfire Symphonic Orchestra, Synchron Series, and CineSeries for Musio. The BBCSO engines add support for the new BBCSO piano.

There will also be portamento support (for native NP and for applicable NPPE engines having recorded portamento) and significant timing improvements for NPPE legato transitions. There are many more minor fixes and improvements, but those are some of the key features.
I can say that when the Synchron Series is released it will immediately be my first purchase of an NPPE product. Keep up the good work Arne.

The next NotePerformer update will add several new orchestral engines, including Spitfire Symphonic Orchestra, Synchron Series, and CineSeries for Musio. The BBCSO engines add support for the new BBCSO piano.

So amazing. Fingers crossed for Synchron Duality Strings and Spitfire Chamber Strings. Having a piano in NP PE will be fantastic.

The next NotePerformer update will add several new orchestral engines, including Synchron Series and CineSeries for Musio. The BBCSO engines add support for the new BBCSO piano.

Is there any chance you're working on Spitfire Studio Professional or Spitfire Symphonic Orchestra? Also, I really like SYNCHRON-ized Saxophones and to have them go through NP would be amazing. Thanks for your outstanding work as always.

Is there any chance you're working on Spitfire Studio Professional or Spitfire Symphonic Orchestra? Also, I really like SYNCHRON-ized Saxophones and to have them go through NP would be amazing. Thanks for your outstanding work as always.
Our ambition is to support Spitfire Studio Orchestra and Symphonic Orchestra. We targeted them for 4.2, but as it turns out, NPPE can't predict the timing of transitions and attacks for the Performance Legato programs. A minimum requirement for NPPE is being able to reliably predict the timing of notes so that they can be triggered at an appropriate time.

The 4.2 update is due soon, so it's likely we need to postpone those engines.

Last edited:

That's awesome. Really looking forward to Synchron Brass and checking out how the
Synchron series sound within NPPE. Really liked how Synchron Brass sounds but it's lacking a few more articulations because of Prime. I might end up purchasing it.

NPPE is one of the few tools that didn't lose its shine for me after several months of daily usage. It became an integral part of my production workflow so I'm looking forward to more of the good stuff.

Our ambition is to support Spitfire Studio Orchestra and Symphonic Orchestra. We targeted them for 4.2, but as it turns out, NPPE can't predict the timing of transitions and attacks for the Performance Legato programs. A minimum requirement for NPPE is being able to reliably predict the timing of notes so that they can be triggered at an appropriate time.

Really sad about the unavailability of SSO, but still really glad for improvement over the whole engine!
Is it mandatory for you tu use the performance legato program? Personally in my DAW I almost never use them and prefer the original legatos to the Performance ones (mainly due to the fading between vibratos not available in the performance legatos).

Really sad about the unavailability of SSO, but still really glad for improvement over the whole engine!
Is it mandatory for you tu use the performance legato program? Personally in my DAW I almost never use them and prefer the original legatos to the Performance ones (mainly due to the fading between vibratos not available in the performance legatos).
The legacy patches are only for the strings of the Symphonic series, not for woodwinds or brass, or any legato instrument from the Studio series.

Also, the older legacy patches don't have quite the same consistency in sound, so I would be reluctant to target them. Performance legato in itself isn't a problem for NPPE as long as it's deterministic. By "deterministic" I mean that a MIDI phrase must sound the same every time, regardless of the music before it. This is, for example, the case with Spitfire BBCSO.

The only solution I can think of at the moment is to leave out natural legato and use a long patch.

Last edited:
The legacy patches are only for the strings of the Symphonic series, not for woodwinds or brass, or any legato instrument from the Studio series.

Also, the older legacy patches don't have quite the same consistency in sound, so I would be reluctant to target them. Performance legato in itself isn't a problem for NPPE as long as it's deterministic. By "deterministic" I mean that a MIDI phrase must sound the same every time, regardless of the music before it. This is, for example, the case with Spitfire BBCSO.

The only solution I can think of at the moment is to leave out natural legato and use a long patch.
Oh I see! That's true I forgot for the rest of Symphonic Series!

Thanks for the clarification, as always ;)

Just listened to it. I don't own the library so I don't have any motivation for you to release it, I guess it'd be better to have feedback from its users.

I don't like how it sounds and wouldn't use that legato for production, and for writing I'd probably just stick to Noteperformer native sounds.

That said, in my own workflow I'm currently using a template that is a mix of NPPE and libraries hosted in VEP. There are many benefits to sticking to NPPE as much as possible but there are some instruments or even some articulations where I want something not included in NPPE.

What I mean by this is that people can still route legato manually and use all the rest. NPPE will still handle many of the markings quicker than having to draw them manually with CC. Not ideal but it's probably better than nothing.

Wow. This is bad news--I recently invested in SSO libraries because there was information that they would be supported. So are they pushed to a later update(?), or not going to be possible to incorporate...

Wow. This is bad news--I recently invested in SSO libraries because there was information that they would be supported. So are they pushed to a later update(?), or not going to be possible to incorporate...
I need to reassess the situation. In the case of SSO, it may be worthwhile to release an engine even now, since the strings have the legacy patches.

To those wondering why we can't make it work as intended, please see this video clip:

You will hear that the third legato transition is faster than the second, despite being a copy/paste of the same MIDI. The reason is that the transition speed is determined from the playing speed history. The third transition is faster because shorter notes precede it.

We could make it work if there was a way to freeze the playing speed parameter or control it over MIDI CC, but I don't think that's possible. Currently, NPPE can't tell if it's getting a short or a long transition, and it may vary from time to time so that the timing can be off by 100 milliseconds.

Unsurprisingly, our requirements differ slightly from those working in a DAW, where you would play something on a MIDI keyboard and further adjust it by ear. NPPE must get the MIDI right the first time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom