What's new

50% off any Albion library. Your pick(s)?

I feel Neo is quite cold, especially compared to Loegria, at least with respect to the strings. Tundra, though, icy, yes, as the name implies. At the same time, there is a sense in which Neo is Tundra's little sibling (as much that as Neo is One's little sibling).
Compared to Loegria, yes I agree Neo strings are colder but more detailed (was referring more as a contrast against Tundra). Loegria and Neo are both chamber sized aren't they? I do like that Neo has both the A and B strings - but the string tone from Loegria is arguably the nicest in the whole Albion series (providing you are looking for something a bit softer). Hope you enjoy Tundra @Clearstone

I have NEO and Intimate Strings. I don’t like the Loegria recorders and I don’t need the synthy stuff. I’m wondering whether the legato strings (and the separate high and low strings) are worth £99 to me, or it would be more sensible to wait for Appassionata to go on sale.

Actually it would be quite satisfying not to get Loegria, since I would have got it instead of Intimate Strings if that had been allowed, and owning Intimate Strings doesn’t make it any cheaper.

Last edited:
Tundra is a must have for almost every composer. Most of us tend to mock the "edge of silence" motto they used for it, which is quite true actually for this library, but it really falls into that small list of libraries you must have.
Now, I can definitely see why you say that. After 12 hours of scratching Tundra's surface, I truly think this library was a major missing piece in my collection. There are just so many useable parts to it, and I love how big and atmospheric it truly is. That "edge of silence" gives so much room to bring the sound of a piece in multiple directions. Well worth the price of admission, and I think I'll get more use out of this library than a host of others I own.

I have NEO and Intimate Strings. I don’t like the Loegria recorders and I don’t need the synthy stuff. I’m wondering whether the legato strings (and the separate high and low strings) are worth £99 to me, or it would be more sensible to wait for Appassionata to go on sale.

Actually it would be quite satisfying not to get Loegria, since I would have got it instead of Intimate Strings if that had been allowed, and owning Intimate Strings doesn’t make it any cheaper.
If I had to choose betweeen Logeria or Appassionata, I would take Appassionata. It's more focused of course - just strings, but boy does it do those well.

I like the sound of many of them. But I've noticed that I keep going back to Nucleus despite owning other libraries, so the question is whether an Albion can compete with it (not likely) or if it can supplement it (likely). Maybe the ensembles Albion ONE? Will also check out Iceni since I am looking for beefier lows.

Would be interested to hear from Nucleus/Jaeger owners, if you stack with Spitfire stuff. I am currently using Epic Choir, but not much orchestral stuff from them.

Does Legacy come for free with One?
It did for me but I can't guarantee this will work for you: I bought Legacy, then got One for half price. No idea if this was a one-off glitch or if that's just the standard upgrade discount + the sale. Anyone else have this? Or am I the only one GASed enough to by the first Albion twice 😂

I like the sound of many of them. But I've noticed that I keep going back to Nucleus despite owning other libraries, so the question is whether an Albion can compete with it (not likely) or if it can supplement it (likely). Maybe the ensembles Albion ONE? Will also check out Iceni since I am looking for beefier lows.

Would be interested to hear from Nucleus/Jaeger owners, if you stack with Spitfire stuff. I am currently using Epic Choir, but not much orchestral stuff from them.
Really depends on your workflow and the music you write. The closest thing to nucleus is Albion legacy / ONE although Nucleus has the upper hand in supply full per instrument patches. The benefit of Albion legacy / ONE is the Air Lyndhurst sound and the speed of composing with the pre-orchestrated ensemble patches. There's also a lot of sound design patches with those libraries. I would say the rest of the Albion line up has very little overlap sonically with Nucleus so you might find that they complement what you already have. Again it depends on your music :).

Why do people hate on Loegria's recorders? 😰 😆 I think they are fabulous.

My only, but HUGE, problem with Loegria is the dynamic range. The brass sounds SO good but it's barely usable in a real musical context. The loudest dynamic is NOT even mezzo-forte. Like what the hell, you're sampling these great flavourful instruments, but so half-assedly?

I think @Spitfire Team should really go back and record the rest of the dynamics and update the library. Maybe even add more of these unusual ensembles! Heck, there's Albion ONE, why not making Albion TWO as the new chapter for Loegria❓ I'd totally pay for that!

Anyway, Tundra looks great, but I really only want like 5 of those patches and I'm saving for Synchron Brass so it's just another year without getting this library (I have it on the wishlist for way too many years though). Maybe some day...

Albion Legacy sounds great, but there's way too many Octaves patches, which I don't like.

I also really like the sound of Iceni, but I have way too many good big sounding libraries to justify the purchase.

One thing is certain, the Lyndhurst sound is incredible and one of its kind!

Why do people hate on Loegria's recorders? 😰 😆 I think they are fabulous.

My only, but HUGE, problem with Loegria is the dynamic range. The brass sounds SO good but it's barely usable in a real musical context. The loudest dynamic is NOT even mezzo-forte. Like what the hell, you're sampling these great flavourful instruments, but so half-assedly?

I think @Spitfire Team should really go back and record the rest of the dynamics and update the library. Maybe even add more of these unusual ensembles! Heck, there's Albion ONE, why not making Albion TWO as the new chapter for Loegria❓ I'd totally pay for that!

Anyway, Tundra looks great, but I really only want like 5 of those patches and I'm saving for Synchron Brass so it's just another year without getting this library (I have it on the wishlist for way too many years though). Maybe some day...

Albion Legacy sounds great, but there's way too many Octaves patches, which I don't like.

I also really like the sound of Iceni, but I have way too many good big sounding libraries to justify the purchase.

One thing is certain, the Lyndhurst sound is incredible and one of its kind!

Highly unlikely. Loegria was retired/replaced with NEO (it was apparently "not up to their current standards") and 3.4 GB of the 136 GB was funneled into Originals Intimate Strings.

When asked if the first three Albions are permanently retired, Paul Thomson answered, “They are, but we do get very frequent requests to bring them back for a short time so that people can grab them who missed out the first time round! They are still great libraries with a lot of charm and some fabulous sounds but we’ve got so much better at making libraries since then that they are definitely ‘older tech’ now — kind of like the Playstation Platinum or Essentials ranges I guess!” --Sound On Sound

Last edited:
Top Bottom