What's new

2600k or 2700k or 3930K

Indeed I so, the x79 seems mandatory at this point. I'm not about to wait until 8 gig ram sticks are more practical and then upgrade to just 32 in a couple of years from now.
Also I have the x79 will be very versatile and bios updates for other cpu's will come in to play.
Maybe even new series ivy bridges will work.

I think, ultimately, the question is: Do you want to use the latest EastWest products?

I agree. I think they make some amazing stuff and I own 6 libraries, but it's amazingly liberating to answer "no".

Casalena - My old orchestral template is around 120 tracks I think, but of course I'd only have a fraction of them going at any one time in practice (dunno how many... 30 tops perhaps?). So the Q6600 never really struggled with that side of it. Adding in a few Guitar Rigs and an Omnisphere it would start to creak a bit, but RAM was the biggest limitation in the 32 bit world by far for me, not CPU power.

And your audiocard? I would think a high end one would make it possible to have more simultaneous tracks playing?

I am still having mixed emotions about the 4 and 6 core sandy e's.
Most say 6 cores is overkill, but to me this should mean lots more fx, sends, and vsti's.

People here and on steinberg.net have also stated that dual cpu's is not that much more powerful than a single 2600k:

"it takes at least dual 2.8 to 2.93GHz Dual 12 cores to beat a SINGLE 2600 or 980/990. and that system will be more than 2 x the cost. sounds like stupid spending to me.. better off to buy 2 2600 systems and slave 1"

This seems unbelievable to me, and steinberg states you will see a drastic improvement.

ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Genera ... h_Info.pdf

LASS is now being released for download as ncw - what was 40gb in drive space is now reduced to 16.4gb

One correction, the 40 gigs for LASS is about 17 gigs for the 16 bit version and 25 for the 24 bit - still a nice savings since the new 24 bit version is the same space as the old 16 (compressed 16 would be even smaller but I don't know if they'll release that format). Otherwise, I agree with your post - you definitely need a fast machine to run these libraries but in many cases the technology is improving (and getting cheaper) fairly quickly while some libraries are making big improvements in sound without making huge jumps in resources needed.

After all, a virtual core is not a real core. Only in specific situations does the virtual core give a performance boost.

The HT virtual cores do contain extra computational hardware, they are just partial cores that share some circuitry with the main cores. In the case of Logic they do give a significant performance boost, so it does seem possible for audio apps to take advantage if they're coded for it.

Well, in the last few days there have been few topics in the forum related to hardware that I find very important if you are thinking of getting right away the new x79 system.

First, this one:

Basically says, that the latest test from pro audio builders are showing that there are latency issues with this chip.

https://www.vi-control.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23543

Secondly, the 8GB sticks of ram are getting chipper: $520 ? that's getting more real!!!

https://www.vi-control.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23485

Also: Intel has pushed back the release of the locked i7 to February 2012. The only one that is cheap. The cpu that will be release in November 14th are $500 and $1000 respectively. I think too much for what is doing for us.

In my case, I will wait until I see reviews and benchmarks of the real time audio streaming.

I think, ultimately, the question is: Do you want to use the latest EastWest products?

I have already worked out that I will struggle to use them (to their full potential) with 24GB on my x58 motherboard.

If you want to work with Hollywood String and / or Hollywood Brass and work with one computer I would wait for the x79.

Is this for a slave or a single PC rig? If you are only using one PC computer, I can easily see how 24 GB might not be enough.

And then, "full potential" is the issue. The irony is that most of the people that do the most admired mockups for HS and HB apparently use fewer patches than you might guess.

You saw what I built with 24 GB. Presently I am only using 16 GB to run the following with HS for each of the 5 sections, i mic position.: Legato Slur powerful system, Shorts Mod Speed, Sus KS, and Pizz RR.

With HB I am using for 5 sections, 2 mic positions: Leg Slur Accent and Leg Slur powerful system, Shorts Mod Speed, and Mute Sus Accent.

And that still leaves me 8 GB for Hollywood Woodwinds when it comes out. :)

As pointed out above, I heard that developers are having latency issues with the x79. Running anything at 256ms causes strange audio errors. This is a huge red light. I too am waiting to build a slave PC this month, and am probably going the 2600K route with 16GB of ram (waiting for the 8GB to get a little easier on the wallet. 100 bucks for 16GB vs 500ish for 32GB? That's not really anywhere near the ballpark of affordable). Maybe more tests will prove this wrong (hopefully!).

Top Bottom