What's new

2600k or 2700k or 3930K

Dracarys

I'm looking at the 2600k and Asus P8P67 pro, this combo would run me around $600, and I would have to wait a couple years to upgrade to 32 gigs of ram when more practical.

vs

The x79 and Core i7-3930K are looking really sexy, and with 8 dimm slots I can get away with 32 gigs, 8 x 4gb.
Intel says November for this cpu chip and Mobo, and this combo will likely be around $1100, estimating the mobo will be around $500.

Should I wait? These new chips may OC well above 5gz with the new technology, and of course an extra 2 cores with HT.

I also heard speculation of an 8 core of the Sandy E, rgames I think you mentioned this leap wouldn't be too beneficial, and I don't see an 8 core listed here anyways:

(broken link removed)

Would love your thoughts, and if you think the performance difference of the 3930k vs 2600k will be worth an extra 600 dollars.
These CPU's are all 2011 socket and will fit this mobo.

Also, i find it very weird how intel is selling the new Sandy E i7-3930K with a higher clock speed for cheap, when the current i7-990X is $1000.

Thanks!

*I just read early Ivy bridge cpus will be sticking with 1155 socket, and the x79 can even handle 8 cores. This is very exciting and I'm surely upgrading to x79 in november

If you can wait a little bit I would wait and see what shakes out. We're at a crossroads right now where things in the PC world are about to get significantly better in the next few months.

things in the PC world are about to get significantly better in the next few months.

...feel free to fill us in on any details. I agree that with that new " x79 and Core i7-3930K" coming out now would not be a good time to upgrade. But is there more coming?

I know this is a very broad subject to raise in a very specific post, but there is a baseline assumption that everyone will need the biggest, fastest rig on Earth if not now then shortly in the future. I don't really agree with this assumption.

In fact, there's a good argument to be made that, depending on your chosen libraries, that resource use is actually diminishing. LASS is now being released for download as ncw - what was 40gb in drive space is now reduced to 16.4gb, with a reduction in RAM use also (and with 2.0 there will be a stack of extra features accompanying this reduction). SSD's mean Kontakt can run with lower preload buffers and therefore reduces RAM requirements.

Then there's a trend towards ensemble libraries like Symphobia and Albion, both of which are very modest in their requirements. Sample modeled stuff needs next to no RAM, but will be a little more demanding on CPU, and this looks like a very promising future direction.

What I'm saying is - sure, having the biggest, fastest and best is never going to hurt, but it might be worth thinking carefully about the kind of direction you want to go in, and then see if it's really necessary. If you want the East West Hollywood series sound, especially if you want multiple mics, then clearly you're gonna need the whole ball of wax, as the libraries are very large and Play has none of the resource-saving features that Kontakt does. However if you're going down the path of Kontakt-based libraries, then you can perhaps reign it in. In another recent thread I calculated that my whole new template should only run at around 8GB of RAM, using predominantly Kontakt-based high quality libraries.

I kind of made a bit of a gamble when I went for a 2700k Sandy Bridge system, but seeing the Kontakt developments I decided to take the plunge. It probably isn't much of a consideration to others, but power efficiency was important to me too... I needed to know it had power, but I reasoned that the SB series would have power enough and yet be very efficient. The previous generation could have more ram, but was considerably thirstier. Anyway, after a few months I feel more comfortable with my decision - the real world tests are confirming what I only really had in theory. But - crucially - I made the decision before buying that, at the very least, Hollywood Strings was not for me.

Or save yourself some money and go for the 2500k. Per slave this lowers the price tag by some $100.

There are some threads in this forum that mention that professional DAW building shops disable hyperthreading, for the fear of interference with some DAW software. After all, a virtual core is not a real core. Only in specific situations does the virtual core give a performance boost. In other situations it can hold up a thread, before it can be rescheduled to another more productive core, albeit this takes only perhaps 1 ms, not what we want I guess in a smooth running DAW.

Did I say I bought the 2600k anyway? The 2500k can apparently overclock just (or almost) as well.

The only reason I didn't invested in a 1366 mobo and decided to wait for socket X79 it's because of the quad channel architecture so I can have more ram. Cpu power it's not so much of a problem as I have been researching.

I am personally thinking about getting the new I7 3820. It's not overclockable, but, the difference in price is huge and, if you compare the stock capability of the I7 2600 with the 2600K the not overclockable it's decent enough already.

The 3820 will come for $300
And the 3930K will come for $600. (By the way, this is step 1 revision, which in general it's not a good idea. I rather wait until this cpu has more steps of perfection and get the cheap one to run the 32 GB of ram which I think is enough already)

At least that's the way I see it.

I work in VFX and animation; that's my professional background and I do lots of rendering. The difference in the steps in a cpu comparing the first ones with the latest ones is big, specially in stability. (of course this is a complete different field, but I think it's a good example)

It will be exiting to see what's going to come by the end of the year. Soon we are going to be testing complete new slaves and Daw computers with complete new capabilities.

my whole new template should only run at around 8GB of RAM, using predominantly Kontakt-based high quality libraries/

What? Huh? 8GB??! Only? My template of only LASS and Albion is already much more than that. Then I have EmoPiano, Black Grand, Requiem, Liberis, some church organs and whatnot. Pre-load at 12KB. What am I doing wrong?

my whole new template should only run at around 8GB of RAM, using predominantly Kontakt-based high quality libraries/

What? Huh? 8GB??! Only? My template of only LASS and Albion is already much more than that. Then I have EmoPiano, Black Grand, Requiem, Liberis, some church organs and whatnot. Pre-load at 12KB. What am I doing wrong?

Hmm, not sure. Here's the thread where I break it down - https://www.vi-control.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22946 . First thought - are you using the Lt patches in LASS? These are the same as the full ones, except they are DFD streaming, not all loaded into RAM. Also, I'd decided to wait till the ncw version was out, which happened last week, so I guess I'm saving some RAM there too.

Just realised I'm thread-derailing now... suggest we follow up here on the other thread about RAM use?

Also, I'd decided to wait till the ncw version was out, which happened last week, so I guess I'm saving some RAM there too.
Guy, how did you get hold of the LASS ncw samples? Officially they're not due until the LASS 2 release, although I read that new purchasers of LASS 1.x have been receiving the ncw format, but only for the past week or so. I thought you bought LASS quite a while ago.

Also, I'd decided to wait till the ncw version was out, which happened last week, so I guess I'm saving some RAM there too.
Guy, how did you get hold of the LASS ncw samples? Officially they're not due until the LASS 2 release, although I read that new purchasers of LASS 1.x have been receiving the ncw format, but only for the past week or so. I thought you bought LASS quite a while ago.

Well, technically I did buy it a while ago, when LASS LS was released as part of an upgrade bundle from Lite / FC, but I wrote to them saying "don't worry about shipping as I'll wait for 2.0", which I must admit I thought was only a few weeks away! Anyway, I got an email from them a week or two back to say I may as well have the samples now, as they're ncw. So I did...

The X79 Quad Channel RAM is the whole reason for an upgrade.
I don't even use Native synths or effects.
I prefer hardware synths, DSP Effects and Mixing in realtime, and Native Samplers.
So RAM architechture is important to me, and not the fast RAM SPD's made by Kingston, OCZ and Corsair. Chipset default speeds tell us the proper voltage to use. This means you can raise the RAM speed from default to wherever the OS and Chipset will allow.
With 24GB's on an X58 mobo, I have never been able to run RAM higher than 1333MHz. That's why I buy RAM that Intel has tested in their R & D lists, and then raise it's DRAM voltage until the OS/BIOS will no longer recognize it's DIMM count. Usually shows 4GB's if 6GB's are installed, and 8GB's if 12GB's are installed. In other words, the OS will only notice 2 channels of the 3 channel design once your voltage/speed has hit the threshold. Then you back your voltage back down, in my case 1.57 to 1.56v was enough. Voila, now I have 1333MHz @ 8-9-9, with 24GB's and the CPU is 3.7GHz....Plenty fast for Kontakt, especially since I use NCW only.
But even with all of that effort for a stable fast rig, I still only use 11.7GB's of RAM.
My rule of thumb for the last 13 years of live work with 100% stability is use 50% CPU, 50% RAM, 60% DSP and MaxVolume.....
For some reason our apps just don't run well at high rates, and the hardware really strains at anything above 70%.....

My usual refusal to pay anything over 1000 USD for a PC/DAW means the 3820k, MSI X79A-GD45, and 32GB's of RAM would be ideal, and will cost 925 USD in November.

Coolness, now I'll wait until Intel needs more recuperated R & D funds after Ivy Bridge comes out in Q2 2012. The above set up should be around 550-600 USD.

I will praise the unpaid BETA testers though the entire time they work out the bugs for me though..........

Long live the gamers and tweakers..

Noise are you running a 2600k?

Tino what do you mean by step one revision, brand new? Has intel introduced any next generation processor that failed and can't we just wait for benches?

I guess i'll just wait for november, I'll look at the cpu that is most easily OC'd.
But I'm still drooling over the hex core and think it will be a great main pc set up for the next few years, accompanies by a quad slave when they are really cheap.

Also this talk about how true cores are better than HT, I hear that alot, except for LOGIC users who state it's actually better.

Tino what do you mean by step one revision, brand new?

what I mean is that every chip that intel releases, will be improved and improved further until they release a new chip. For example: The I7 2600K that I just bought few weeks ago is "step 7" or "revision 7", meaning that is the 7th version of that chip and it's been improved 7 times. I got this cpu to overclocked no enforce (just a single button) to 4.5 and left it in there because I don't want to push it too much so I can have longer life span on it. In the first step of this 2600K it would require more cooling to be able to get this speed so easily.

In the following web site there is a video where this guy overclocks an I7 920 from 2.66 to 3.5, and it couldn't go further because of the step. Few steps later, that cpu can overclocked very close to 4GHz and more.

https://www.homepcbuilder.com/overclocking.html

It's just that I rather expend less money, get the ram that I need and wait until the unlock cpu has been revise few times and get it... "If I need it".

I hope that helps....

Helps a lot thank you, but am still wondering if it will really be an issue since it's not that much of a revision, it's still part of the same family, sandy to sandy e, will the architecture really be that different or just an improvement from the 2600 and 2700k's?

It will have new technology tho and be designed specifically to overclock, so maybe it won't need as many steps this time around.

No one really mentioned if they think cubase will benefit from the 6 core vs the 2600k or 2700k. No way to tell now really but estimations would be nice.

Also, I was to ensure that when I finally upgrade in november, that I won't be wishing I had ivy bridge and a new mobo.

Noise are you running a 2600k?

Yes, not overclocked. Thus far I haven't come close to running into any CPU issues. I think my most intensive project had 4 fully loaded Omni instances along with a stack of other stuff and fx. I'm not sure what the meter read but at some point I realised it was barely breaking a sweat. All feels like a fantastic luxury after a Q6600.

Ha I could imagine, I'm working with a Phenom ll 720 x3 right now.
What do you have along side those omni's, any kontakt or HWs?

Any hyperthreading issues? Feel free to hit my other topic.

Ha I could imagine, I'm working with a Phenom ll 720 x3 right now.
What do you have along side those omni's, any kontakt or HWs?

Any hyperthreading issues? Feel free to hit my other topic.

On that project with 4 omnis (a pop thing)... um... a couple of Stylus RMX instances, a Kontakt a ton of plugins including a couple of convolutions I think. To be honest I find the orchestral stuff, even with loads going on, wasn't much of a problem even on a Q6600 - sample streaming tends to be incredibly CPU-light. It's the synths and effects that tax things. I hear Time Machine Pro in Kontakt 5 is pretty demanding though.

No hyperthreading issues so far in Sonar or Cubase. For some reason the first virtual core in Sonar always seems to sit higher than the rest - 30-40% versus about 5-10% for the rest, but it never seems to climb much higher either. So far I just haven't been able to tax the system enough to see if there's any potential problem with that, so I've decided to ignore it for now!

With a Q6600? My 720 BE isn't too far behind, I guess intel has always been better at multi tasking.

I run into trouble at around 40-50 tracks. I can't even utilize more than 60% of memory with 16gigs of RAM on W7 Ultimate.

I think, ultimately, the question is: Do you want to use the latest EastWest products?

I have already worked out that I will struggle to use them (to their full potential) with 24GB on my x58 motherboard.

If you want to work with Hollywood String and / or Hollywood Brass and work with one computer I would wait for the x79.

Top Bottom