What's new

The Ultimate Headphone Thread (Headphoneamps added)

Actually it's the "sennheiser death grip" :)

Yep, finding a headphone can be one long quest.

Had the K712 here for a week or so. Their comfort is a lot better than my K701s. The peak at 7kHz wasn't bothering me much. That leads me to my assumption that, regarding the fatigue level, the frequency response isn't as important as I innitially thought. It's the driver-technology. The DT880 has a similar peak, but it's way more harsch sounding IMO.

The K712 had also a darker sound signature than my K701s, because the upper mids are kind of recessed. I still think the K701/702 are the flattest/most linear headphones out there, but they're also very bright. The HD600 are the most natural sounding headphones. The HD650s on the other side are similar to the HD600, but very relaxed sounding, not 100% linear. A good choice if you're allergic to high frequencies. I've heard many people saying that they like the HD600 more than the HD650, also the K712 and the Q701 more than the K701/702.

You see, we could talk day and night about headphones. Go to the shops and bring your glasses! ;)

I always had problems with my hearing when I've mixed with my sennheisers. I still love my HD650s btw, but only for personal music enjoyment. Then I've switched to the K701 and since then have had absolutely no problems with my hearing whatsoever.

Michael, as a HD650 user, I am curious to know what sort of hearing problem you attribute to the HD650s. Is it something that stayed with you long after using them? And are you still free of it after using the K701s for awhile?

I always had problems with my hearing when I've mixed with my sennheisers. I still love my HD650s btw, but only for personal music enjoyment. Then I've switched to the K701 and since then have had absolutely no problems with my hearing whatsoever.

Michael, as a HD650 user, I am curious to know what sort of hearing problem you attribute to the HD650s. Is it something that stayed with you long after using them? And are you still free of it after using the K701s for awhile?

The HD650 has a treble roll-off. That's why I tend to raise the volume on the 650s a bit more than on other headphones. The lower frequencies become more prominent and this can lead to fatigue, but the fatigue went away after a couple of days. The K701/601 are more linear, this way I can work at quiter lvls, which of course is better for the hearing.

Currently using a set of the new(er) Beyer Custom Studio phones... Just went to look them up to compare, and I can't find any info on them now, just the Custom One Pro. No idea if that's the same thing with a different name and more cosmetic options or not, but it costs $70 less, so maybe it really is different?

I have the above mentioned Beyers, and some HD280s. I love the Beyers, I use those for 90% of my work, with the other 10% split between the HD280s, which are good for fine-tuning highs, a set of high-end Shure earbuds, which are super uncomfortable, but provide an interesting perspective that's different from the other 2, and some old Sony speakers that I know and love. My mixing situation requires that most of my work be done in a headphones, hence why I haven't really pursued more expensive nearfields.

I'm always on the quest for the audio tools that best meet my needs, so I'm still keeping an eye out for (potentially) better phones, though I'm really enjoying the Beyers, and finding their results the most pleasing of any monitoring source I've owned to-date.

Since getting more serious about my sound, I'd always thought, "someday, I'll get a pair of HD650s," because I'd always heard such great things about them.

Reading through this thread, and a few more, I'm now also very interested in the Focal Spirit Pros.

Thing is, I currently have the opportunity to get either pair of cans (the HD650s or the Focals) for the same price.

Any guidance as to which path may be better? I'm not planning on ditching my current tools, either, so suggestions that take into account my existing monitoring are fine too.

I have done some serious testing and this is my current-set up:

Sennheiser HD700 for mixing
Sennheiser HD650 for non-analytical long time listening (darker treble roll-off = non-fatiguing :wink:)
Focal Spirit Professional for mixing/composing at night

I auditioned HD800 over a weekend, but couldn't justify (read afford) the price over HD700 (double). If I were richer these would have been my to-go mixing phones. HD650 won over HD600, since while I found HD600 more neutral I also found it more fatiguing in the long run. HD600 will let you see the music, HD650 to feel it.

I had a real difficult time with closed cans, but Focal Spirit Pro is unbelievable for the price and being a closed design. Highly recommended.

"I had a real difficult time with closed cans, but Focal Spirit Pro is unbelievable for the price and being a closed design. Highly recommended."

Yes. Agreed. Lovely set of cans. Very pleased with mine.

Interesting. I found them to be very treble happy (on the Lehmann Linear). Wouldn't be my first choice for mixing.

These seem to be very interesting, apparantly the first fatigue free headphones:
https://www.ultrasone-headphones.com/en/ ... ormance880

Here's what Ultrasone says:
Unique? Yes! Revolutionary? Definitely! The patented S-Logic™ technology is described as Natural Surround Sound System. No other digital surround system can compare with this standard. As the sound of a normal headphones will sound direct and even on both sides, the S-Logic™ system pushes the sound around your head! It appears as though you are listening to speakers meters away. Even at very low levels, this spacious sound allows you to hear and listen to each and every individual sound. And on top of that, the S-Logic™ technology does not require additional equipment!

Interesting. I found them to be very treble happy (on the Lehmann Linear). Wouldn't be my first choice for mixing.

Yeah, I understand. They surely aren't without fault and the biggest Achilles heel is that sometimes treble can be quite piercing and maybe too much for some. But I don't see that as a big problem since if I mix treble too low it's much more enjoyable than if it's mixed too high.

And they have many strong points like an awesomely tight bass, wide "headstage" probably due to the dimensions, are they are also the most comfortable headphones I have tested. And surely analytical enough for my ears. They are not good as 800s but much much speaker.

I wouldn't buy anything from Ultrasone.
See here why:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... slide=id.p

And they have many strong points like an awesomely tight bass, wide "headstage", are they are also the most comfortable headphones I have tested. They are not good as 800s but much much speaker.

Agreed, they definetely have their strong points.

Thanks for the link. I'll probably try them anyway. :)

Well seems like you haven't tried the best option yet.

Have an Audiologist make silicon molds of your ears.
Get IEMs.
People that are going to be listening to y our music will
Be using them.
Why not prepare for the target audience.?

Not to be a buzzkill but most audiologists will recommended not using IEM's and ear buds if you want your hearing when you get old. I also just read where apple will no longer be including ear buds with there ipods and iphones.

Well seems like you haven't tried the best option yet.

Have an Audiologist make silicon molds of your ears.
Get IEMs.
People that are going to be listening to y our music will
Be using them.
Why not prepare for the target audience.?

I use the Ultimate Ears Reverence for Mixing / Mastering and to compensate for a sh*tty room acoustic.
Own them for about 3-4 years now and I would not go for any other In-Ear. Although they eventually lack ability to mix low frequencies. It's a magnifier when mixing.

One has to take care of the loudness though, because if I get to excitied I easily crank the volume up.

I wouldn't buy anything from Ultrasone.
See here why:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... slide=id.p

That was clearly amazing.

Last edited:
Would love the links to what you've read.
Audiology is basically what it is today from wearable technology.
At the VA they employ Audiologists for Veterans from Artillery and Infantry Regiments.
Other than that they are all over the wearable gear.

There are problems where guys ears get blown up by mistakes made from the crew running the monitor sends.
I don't have a crew, so the only time I have a problem is when I forget to bring my vented IEMs and have to go with 100% isolation.

But trust me, once you use some IEMs custom, with 24 drivers (12 way stereo) you won't want to be handcuffed to your desk again.

Peace

Reviving an awesome thread :)

I'd been looking at the Audio Technica ATH M50x and saw that they were on this list. Are they still thought of as one of the better closed-back headphones out there for mixing/mastering? I'm on a budget and will be using them in public places, hence the need for closed-back.

Top Bottom