What's new

The Ultimate Headphone Thread (Headphoneamps added)

Thanks Guys. I've to admit I had an eye on the HD800, but now I think my next headphones will be those Focals. I mean they are closed, they cost much less than the Senns and seem to sound very good. Would be really nice if you could post a comparison Mihkel, especially against the K-701.

you can't compare the focal with the hd 800. as for me the hd 800 is the best ever made headphone, i am using it 10 hours a day without any problem.. the accuracy, transparency, spatial field are exceptional. i was using before a beyer dt 990 pro, but day and night with the hd800

Without a doubt the HD 800 are incredible headphones. But whether one can say they are the best... Let's not forget about the Stax SR-009 (over 5000$) and say the HD 800 ranks among the best :)

yes, my bad, i should have added best ever "dynamic" headphone. electrostatic are in another level, and the price also..

Re: The Ultimate Headphone Thread

I have an engineer friend who mixes my stuff (he won a Grammy as an engineer for a big album a couple years back - sorry, not tying to throw that word around, just making a point), and he only mixes with headphones. He just checks with monitors and car speakers on occasion.

Not sure what pair he uses but I went with some DT 880s and have gotten used to them now.

Good thread, btw..

For two years i'm using the Beyerdynamix T1 and they sounds great on Orchestral-Score music.
It's all about the details which you can hear. IMO one of the top headphones.

I also have the AKG701. Amazing for the listening experience but not for the mix. Too much beautification ( fantastic for the music listening or mixing electronic music ).You can have them on the ears for hours. Very comfortable

Beyerdynamic dt880 PRO are natural...I would even say that boring . No beautification. Great for making the mix. Try to mix with DT880 and you will enjoy your music on every audio system.
Unfortunately PRO are uncomfortable :(

On the other hand i would say , no matter what kind of headphones, you just learn them.

Imagine no wires, matched audio graph for your ears as we all have different 4k notches.
Instead of 4 sets of handcuffing headphones designed back in WW2, think of wireless, and multitasking.
Take a dump while mastering with an iPad, get your mail or even excercise using IEMs.

Just a thought for the guys who still believe in the one size fits all solutions.

Headphones made for "everyone" reminds of a Government social program where everyone is equal, even though we know that is a contradiction in terms.
But spend about 2 grand for 5 pair, each pair with a different purpose.

For 1200 USD you can get 6 way drivers designed around your ears, with no wires, and even a great application for surround.

But giving away old coiled wired last century designs to freinds is always fun too.

Update: Added a couple of links and frequency charts

Thanks for your input guys! Let me know if you've found a useful website, I'll add it to the list.

You might add changstar.com to the list. It has measurements of many models (waterfall diagrams) and a lot of discussion going on.

I own the beyerdynamic dt880 pro's, and they are a great reference set. Checking between them and my Yamaha monitors, and I have been able to get mixes to sound good on just about everything.

They are a bit boring for regular listening though. However, I can just change the eq setting on my fiio amp to get a more colored sound for listening.

Updated the reviews and added sound examples. Here's an interesting comparison between the HD650 and the K 702:

and in case you've missed it, here're the new Audio Technica ATH-M50x, now with replacable cables:

Last edited by a moderator:
love my beyerdynamic DT-880 pros. Once you go open-backed, it's hard to go...back. I recommend at least the 250 ohm resistance pair though. Any lower and it's crap. Any higher and you need a good headphone amp - which opens up a whole new can of worms regarding sonic coloration that I just don't want to get into.

Wouldn't mind a nice pair of Audeze LCD3's or whatever they're hocking these days - but i'm not willing to drop over a grand for a pair of cans (yet).

My g/f works for a audiologist and recommends we never use headphones if we still want our hearing when were old. Over 35% of there appointments are related to hearing damage from using headphones , and especially from using ear buds. Saying that, I had to have a pair for certain times of the day and choose the AT M-50's as the best value out there for the money, not being too bright, and use them ONLY at lower volumes.

Thanks for this thread Michael. We just moved into a new place, and the studio sound is completely different. It's making me crazy.
I need a good set of headphones to check mixes.

Thanks.

_Michael

My g/f works for a audiologist and recommends we never use headphones if we still want our hearing when were old. Over 35% of there appointments are related to hearing damage from using headphones , and especially from using ear buds. Saying that, I had to have a pair for certain times of the day and choose the AT M-50's as the best value out there for the money, not being too bright, and use them ONLY at lower volumes.

I agree . I use the ATH M-50's as well for both djing and music production . Very sturdy and excellent value . I think I picked mine up for about $120 about 5-6 years ago and they're still holding up well. Hands down one of the best pairs of headphones I've ever owned. Great all around sound and it doesn't lean towards the highs or low ends like other headphones will. Even smooth sound with solid bass response.

Thanks for this thread Michael.
you're welcome michael

Agree, the M50s are very nice for its price.

I'm listening at moderate levels and always try to make breaks in between. But you're right, listening at louder lvls (or at moderate lvls over longer periods of time) can cause hearing damage.

Top Bottom