What's new

Why Do Some People Have Issues With Spitfire Audio's Marketing?

Spitfire used to be maddening with their marketing, and there used to be a very aggressively defensive group of fans
You're spot on about the missing context and the all talking at cross purposes that's arising from it on this thread.

But I'd also like to suggest that perhaps you're also miss a really key piece of context here. And this speaks to what I'm trying to tease out of this thread (gently, I hope) - which is that "defensiveness" really isn't invoked *because* some of us here are actually the greasy slavering marketing-brainwashed drones forever being implied, but that it arises instead from precisely the ad-hominem in this accusation.

And one of the merits of this thread is the transpancy which which it demonstrates the larger phenomenon that complaining about SF marketing on vi-c can't ever seem to ever stop with saying, "this isn't my thing", or "I feel it's hyperbolic", or "I don't really like these libraries", or "I have technical issues with the player" or "You know, I really need my trombones to go louder" or "I loath scandanavian minimalism", or even "people who like flauntanto suck".

Because of course, the thread starts with perfectly reasonably critiques of marketing - all perfectly valid critiques, many of which I share. No problem.

But then, the pile begins to emerge. And it's no longer enough to express personal critique or even distain for the marketing.

And slowly, comments start to project this distain not merely on the specific marketing being critiqued, but on anyone who has a different exprerience.

Seriously, read through this thread through the lens of not someone like yourself who's pretty vocal about not caring about SF libraries and the aesthetic spaces they open (which, needless to say, I totally respect), but instead someone who maybe has a dozen or so SF libraries and really loves most of them. And though this lies perhaps you can see a lot of the posts on this thread really can't help but being read as pile on of insult after insult.

Of course, slowly at first. With, I'm sure, perfectly unintentional implications and innuendo that of people who don't share the superior taste in libraries of the poster, and consequent distain for a particular style of marketing are mindless suckers, must therefore be brainwashed by marketing.

But then, as is the nature of such pile-ons, the moment builds as posters become more and more comfortable in make this project element of their attacks more and more explicit. Util people who aren't sufficiently contemptuous of marketing and maybe even actually really like SF libraries become "greasy" and "slathering" and "sock puppets" and "astroturfing" and "sycophants".

So I'm dramatizing a bit for clarity ( but, honestly, only a very liitle bit). And seriously, it's the internet, I'm not going to loose sleep over any of this.

But I do think it's worth trying to forground this dyanmic bit. Because, honestly, taken as a whole, and read though this lens, this thread actually contains some of the most vicious and toxic and personal attacks on a certain membership of this community that I've seen.

And note also that, when viewed through this lens - though I'm certain with no ill intentions - your above risks adding to this pile on with the accusation of "aggressively defensive".

Let me explain ...

Now first, I'm aware that I've been stirring the pot on this thread a little bit here. But I hope that it's clear that I'm really not trying to create conflict, but to understand the dyanams And equally clear that neither am I a "greasy" "slavering" "sock puppet" automaton expressing a mindless automaton corporate drone loyalty towards SF or any other corporate entity.

But I do think that the community as a whole might benefit from understanding how these dynamics quietly evolve into a space where these kinds of insults and personal attacks somehow becomes acceptable.

On the whole, the has been a (mostly) civil and restrained thread. But in general what happens on such threads, is that eventually someone will take offence at what are a stream of undeniable - though often somewhat submerged undeniable insults. And ... restrain will fail and they'll hit back - and we all know the toxic death spiral that invariably ensues.

And while I think it's perfectly legitimate for a certain portion of the community to take a very genuine offence at quite a lot of what's going on on this thread, this dynamic is very often submerged, and indeed many of the insults genuinely unintended.

And perhaps ... if we could just foreground it and discuss it a bit more clearly and respectfully, we'd all be a lot better off?

So again, I think you're absolutely right about the conflations and cross purposes of this thread in general.

But can I offer in particular - and in the interests of developing some resources in understanding the dynamics of and *avoiding* the ensuing toxic death spirals (and get back to discussion about actual music in which we can again benefit from our diversity of perspectives) - that while you're also right about the phenomenon of "aggressive defensiveness", the context that's missing is origin of this defensiveness. In fact, your post risks performing - unintentionally I'm certain - precisely the underlying sleight-of-hand that triggers this "aggressive defensiveness".

Here's what I think is the basic conflation:

If we try to empathize with each other's perspective here, I think we can agree that there are two distinct possible sources of this "aggressive defensiveness":

Theory 1. So first, we have allegations that a certain segment of the vi-c community are "sycophantic", "greasy" "slathering" "astroturfing" "sockpuppets", and generally corporate drones, also described (on other threads) by non SF enthusiasts as "fucking prick" which no valid critical opinions beyond theory mindless defence of "Daddy Spitfire". And of course also "aggressively defensive".

Theory 2. And then we have an alternate perception of this same segment of the vi-c community as people who ... well, just really not any of these things. But just people who's tragic flaws are really nothing more that really loving flautando.

Except that, well yeah, maybe they're a bit defensive sometimes.

And yeah, now that you mention it, I think you're probably right that they're maybe even sometimes the veer into the "aggressively defensive". Notably when hitting back at the sheer volume and viscousness of such slurs implicit or explicit in theory 1.

So what I'd really like to suggest here is that you're absolutely right that there's an aggressive defensive that sometime emerges on this kind of thread that is deeply unhelpful and that should be discouraged.

But at the same time, it's very important to not conflate :

a) an "agressiven defensiveness" arising from the ... lets call them the "flautando-positive" segment of the vi-c community ... arises because as people, they actually are the horrendous pieces of shit sorry excuses for human beings that Theory 1 describes them as being.

and

b) an "aggressive defensiveness" that arises not because the flautando-positive segment actually are the kind of people described in theory 1, but because theory 1 is really just aggressively offensive ad hominem.

Obviously, I'm dramatizing a bit for effect here. :)

And either way, I don't in suport this "aggressive defensiveness" that you observe any more that I condone the of slurs that triggers it.

We need to find a way to stop both.

Last edited:
I appreciate Spitfire's marketing. Maybe five years from now I'll roll my eyes but as a beginner it's extremely helpful. I knew I wanted some orchestral sounds but I didn't know much about it. I stumbled through Sonatina Orchestra and looked at the cloud options, as most boxed stuff was way out of my price range and I only had random Youtube reviews (as far as I knew) to make a judgment. Knowing where to stake a purchase was really confusing.

Then I found Labs and soon after, BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover Edition, which blew my socks off. I was suddenly very aware of Spitfire and their wealth of product walkthroughs (i.e. their marketing). It really helped me decide what was right for me so I could make the one expensive purchase I could handle (BBC Core, which I adore). Thank you Homay and your fantasy song walkthrough for cinching the deal.

If I had any feedback, it's to support product life cycles a bit more. I would also be happy to purchase small expansions to the products I own, for example. Upgrading to BBC Professional is unattainable for me at a price of $550 -- even when it's on sale -- and other standalone products that are $30 to $50 don't always cut it and tend to disappoint.

but as a beginner it's extremely helpful.
As a self-proclaimed beginner, what do you feel about the volume of content and partial redundancy of products (BBCSO, SSO, AR1OF, etc.)? Is it easy to wade through? Is it confusing? Confusing, but Spitfire does enough to help you through it? How much effort, research, and so on did it take before you got Core?

I'm no pro composer, but I've been meandering in and out of "this space" since the late 90s and I'm sure take for granted this sort of thing. The last time I tried to follow a new-to-me sport, I had a heck of a time playing catch-up.

Last edited:
As a self-proclaimed beginner, what do you feel about the volume of content and partial redundancy of products (BBCSO, SSO, AR1OF, etc.)? Is it easy to wade through? Is it confusing? Confusing, but Spitfire does enough to help you through it?
The only difficulty I had at first was understanding the difference between something like the Albion lineup and BBC. Watching a few walkthrough videos cleared that up. I knew I wanted control over individual sections, especially after playing around with the free BBC Discovery Edition. I never really looked at their older products like SSO, I just assumed they were deprecated by newer products that lived in the same space. I will admit that notion became a little murky once Abbey Road came out. I feel like they stumbled a bit on marketing that one. I have this hazy notion it lives somewhere in between Albion and BBC but I'm not really sure. But I have what I need for now so I haven't looked too deeply.

I appreciated their marketing, but despite how toxic it might get here ... it is toxic EVERYWHERE.

So them abandoning people here on this forum is something that will greatly impact my support of them moving forward.

I appreciated their marketing, but despite how toxic it might get here ... it is toxic EVERYWHERE.

So them abandoning people here on this forum is something that will greatly impact my support of them moving forward.
Lol what? You want personal attention from Paul and Christian or something?

FYI - their support team posts here occasionally still and Karma, the developer behind Appassionata Strings, was very present in that thread, answering questions and taking feedback. Even made some custom videos for the forum.

Actually, I like Spitfire Audio's Marketing techniques. At least they keep me excited about new stuff to buy. Oh... and when they start teasing us with some Abbey Road One Modular Orchestra 'coming soon ! Type of teasers, I will love them more, and more, and get super excited.

Lol what? You want personal attention from Paul and Christian or something?

FYI - their support team posts here occasionally still and Karma, the developer behind Appassionata Strings, was very present in that thread, answering questions and taking feedback. Even made some custom videos for the forum.
Yes I expect them to come over my house and cook me dinner.

and yes … that developer being on here was a major reason I bought those strings.

It seems the people who I normally see commenting about the marketing don’t want to comment here, because everyone so far is being quite considerate and not negative. Thanks people! Still curious to hear from anyone is isn’t a fan as to why they feel strongly about it (it feels like half of what I see about Spitfire around here is a remark about how their marketing is better than their products, which I’m not sure I agree with!)
You're the one that puts the word "hate" in the title of the thread, then ask people to be "kind". A strange undertaking on your part imo!

We live in tough times of war and divide, and here you are calling to discuss your "hate" towards a company's marketing practices? Because they talk about their passion and art? Are you serious?

Get a life dude!

You're the one that puts the word "hate" in the title of the thread, then ask people to be "kind". A strange undertaking on your part imo!

We live in tough times of war and divide, and here you are calling to discuss your "hate" towards a company's marketing practices? Because they talk about their passion and art? Are you serious?

Get a life dude!
Umm…I think you need to read again the very paragraph you replied to…Maybe even post #1 in its entirety.

What would you prefer?

"Hey, here is some stuff we worked on. Buy it. Or not. Whatever. Thanks for watching."

I would actually prefer that for marketing of all products. Just state the facts and skip all the manufactured hype/mind games. I understand that businesses feel like the need for marketing to stand out from the crowd but it really just feels like emotional manipulation to me and is a complete turn off to their product. Obviously I'm not a marketing/business person so I'm sure there are those that feel differently about it but that's just my 2c as a consumer.

Last edited:
If I was rich I'd find Spitfires' ads very coy and cunning but instead they fill me with a bitter resentment that I can only express in the form of various non-sensical rants on forums.

The turning point for me was Hans Zimmer Piano, which was described in the Spitfire Marketing blurb thusly:-

legendary trailblazer Hans Zimmer presents the ultimate piano library...
Hans' crack team of engineers, and the award-winning Spitfire crew...
... top-of-its-class writing tool
...no-holds-barred approach
played utilising a mixture of technical wizardry and dogged performing talent...
...over a dozen highly qualified editors has spent nearly 12 months treating each sample like a little rough diamond, carving and polishing it by hand...
Every sample has been cut, cleaned and refined...
...further refined by expert technicians working side-by-side with esteemed piano players testing on a number of different controllers
…to make the most responsive, true and inspiring set of instruments.
an ultra-realistic experience
This is a big-daddy of a tool, the Bugatti Veyron of virtual instruments, the Concorde of sampleware.
Two hours of playing after I’d shelled out hundreds of dollars, I just couldn’t believe the wide gulf between the claims and the sloppy, careless reality. The piano was so horribly flawed I just felt I’d been conned. That was the point where the emperor no longer had clothes and I started to spot sloppy, amateurish bugs and errors in many of their products that had no business making it through to release. For the prices they charge, I think customers have a right to expect more.

@ALittleNightMusic made the point earlier in the thread that Spitfire do update their libraries and gave an example, but just look at the time frames in the example. If you reported bugs, they may take a year to 18 months to get resolved, if they get fixed at all.

Last edited:
The turning point for me was Hans Zimmer Piano, which was described in the Spitfire Marketing blurb thusly:-

Two hours of playing after I’d shelled out hundreds of dollars, I just couldn’t believe the wide gulf between the claims and the sloppy, careless reality. The piano was so horribly flawed I just felt I’d been conned. That was the point where the emperor no longer had clothes and I started to spot sloppy, amateurish bugs and errors in many of their products that had no business making it through to release. For the prices they charge, I think customers have a right to expect more.

@ALittleNightMusic made the point earlier in the thread that Spitfire do update their libraries and gave an example, but just look at the time frames in the example. If you reported bugs, they may take a year to 18 months to get resolved, if they get fixed at all.
Ah shit…got tagged so have to respond I guess.

Yes, they should be more like Performance Samples right? List a few bugs upfront and then never fix anything. Or better yet, like Orchestral Tools who leave their libraries in an actual broken state. You’re acting like Spitfire libraries are unusable - they’re of course not remotely close to that. They have some bugs, like all libraries, but Spitfire has been supporting them, for years - which was my main point. They don’t abandon them.

I’ve seen a number of folks here state their love for HZP so I guess they are too dumb to see they’ve been conned?

Top Bottom