What's new

Why are so few of us using Sibelius or Finale?

On this Topic I actually use Notion and don't bother with third party samples. I usually just export the file and finesse or reinterpret the score for better samples in Digital Peformer. The writing I do in Notion is strictly for live performance and some of the techniques would sound bad if I just literally had the piece played as is even with top drawer samples. It's a very different discipline for me. Note I'm qualifying this as a personal statement and my experience. I will say my writing is better when composing notationally but I learned old school so that's probably why

I am about to start learning how to use Sibelius. I'm actually learning music theory at the minute and I'm going to take the plunge and buy Sibelius after Christmas. I'm going to need it for my TS course and I think just using it all the time will help me get better at Theory and reading music. Can't wait till my theory and theory application is good enough to begin studying and analysing scores because that's when I will no doubt learn so much more about music than I already do. Luckily I'm now friends with some amazing people who are studying on my course that actually Teach Theory for a living so I trade Cubase Tips with them for Theory Lessons. Like a Musical Delboy at the minute and working out rather splendiferously.

I encourage anyone that asks to purchase a scoring/notation tool, and I don't make a recommendation of which one. If pressed I acknowledge that I use Finale, largely because when I made my purchase (2000?) it suited my needs better than Sibelius, although I've always been a fan of both.

But mostly I tell them that it is more important to become familiar with, if not fluent in, standard notation. And pencil and paper might be the best approach (maybe?), but a scoring tool like Finale or Sibelius or Notion is a pretty close approximation thereof.

That's what I believe. I too think my writing is better, more disciplined at least, when working from notation. I'm also older, and was trained long before virtual instruments existed - both of which absolutely affect my choices.

I am using the Notion demo right now, in Studio One and as a stand-alone. I'm struggling, but I've been using Finale and Sonar for a LONG time, so it doesn't surprise me that a new approach will require an adjustment, and some learning time. I hope it is as well integrated as it appears, it would be a major step forward for me.

Top Bottom