What's new

When does one STOP buying sample libraries?

I will stop when developers stop creating new samples.
It's like smoking or drinking. Buying samples is the curse of contemporary composers.
musicien4.gif

Thankfully, I understood pretty early that out of everything I have I'm always using the same bunch. And it sounds great and gets the job done! It's just an itch that you can get over if you're Jedi enough. It's unbelievable how MUCH can you squeeze out of a great library, hard to imagine. I'm still surprised by SSS (my favourite) and all the other kinds. Lately I often force myself to step out of the box and use the patches I always avoid, and it's really liberating.

Hear hear. And this is just a matter of time. I'm surprised no one has yet tried (that I've heard of at least) to use machine learning to build a neural network to model acoustic instruments. I mean, when you can do things like this or this, the technology is there -- or will soon be.

I'd say, we're pretty close.

I've completely stopped. I remained an avid enthusiast even after I had more VI software than I would ever need, but Native Access ruined it for me when they ended offline activation for their products. What was once fun and exciting only became hideous and repugnant to me..

...This had the dual impact of revolutionizing my attitude about copy protection in general, and of completely destroying my interest in music software on any kind of consumerist level. Never again will I spend a dime on any software that does not give me 100% local control with a simple license number or key file, which eliminates at least 90% of all products from consideration. I no longer trust offline activations that involve remote registration (challenge/response etc.) because you can't trust the companies to honor the protocols that are in place when you make the purchase...

...Even finding those few companies that aren't corporofascist freaks about it is hard, since they seldom tell you exactly what the activation protocol consists of in a way that is conveniently accessible.

The silver lining is that I no longer waste time, money or energy following new developments and no longer care about holiday sales, product innovations or even free version updates. Rather, I am working with what I have, and thinking of the software only as tools as opposed to products. I've either unsubscribed or set mail filters for most of the developer ads that flood in every day.

I do have some small interest in sales this Xmas season, but only in the realm of hardware: computer component upgrades, microphones, preamps, that sort of thing.

I've completely stopped. I remained an avid enthusiast even after I had more VI software than I would ever need, but Native Access ruined it for me when they ended offline activation for their products. What was once fun and exciting only became hideous and repugnant to me..

...This had the dual impact of revolutionizing my attitude about copy protection in general, and of completely destroying my interest in music software on any kind of consumerist level. Never again will I spend a dime on any software that does not give me 100% local control with a simple license number or key file, which eliminates at least 90% of all products from consideration. I no longer trust offline activations that involve remote registration (challenge/response etc.) because you can't trust the companies to honor the protocols that are in place when you make the purchase...

...Even finding those few companies that aren't corporofascist freaks about it is hard, since they seldom tell you exactly what the activation protocol consists of in a way that is conveniently accessible.

The silver lining is that I no longer waste time, money or energy following new developments and no longer care about holiday sales, product innovations or even free version updates. Rather, I am working with what I have, and thinking of the software only as tools as opposed to products. I've either unsubscribed or set mail filters for most of the developer ads that flood in every day.

I do have some small interest in sales this Xmas season, but only in the realm of hardware: computer component upgrades, microphones, preamps, that sort of thing.
Curious. What libraries are you left with?

Yes, I hear you. After a long string of software and library purchase my attention has turned to hardware.

I must have missed the memo, lol. I began putting my Eurorack system together over the summer. I’m still buying sample libraries as well. Help?

Welcome to the Eurorack club! Now you've got two bottomless money pits to enjoy! :grin:

Top Bottom