What's new

What song or album got you into electronic music?

Everything that has been mentioned so far in this thread... But the spark that ignited my electronic sound interest was Jon Hassel with his first albums. I'm still a big fan of the "fiord jazz" peeps.

Wendy Carlos, Switched on Bach (1968) - sorry, the original is not one YouTube.

Later I found Jean Michel Jarre, Vangelis and Tangerine Dream to be inspiring.

1709498969940.png

Pet Shop Boys and Erasure, although those two are more pop than electronic music I guess
They belong to Electro Pop as Depeche Mode and many others too, don't you think so?!

Electronic music nowadays is a huge genre with many sub genres ... e.g. Electronic Body Music with artists like Front 242, Skinny Puppy and many others. And then there's Future Pop with VNV Nation, Assemblage 23, etc..
And look at Pharaoh ... EDM.
Not to forget Techno with it's many sub genres.

Last edited:
I think it's the sound selection due to which the Pharao songs have aged a bit more gracefully than the majority of eurodance

Another classic, thanks! I think 80s, 90s and early 2000s electronic music is generally more timeless than most modern stuff. More emotion put into it. That could all be positivity bias though, I suppose the young adults of today could say the same about Swedish House Mafia in 30 years.

first seres Dr Who for me too, then probably Forbidden Planet, Outer LImits and other TV/film music. By late teens would have been Berio''s Visage and other classical electronica and tape (names escaping me now)- our national FM broadcaster started a show "music since 1960" in the mid-late 70s I think and that became a Friday night must, either listened to with friends or taped and listened to later (again and again :) )

And whatever popular music was around like early Genesis, Eno, Laurie Anderson, My Life in the Bush of Ghosts/Remain in Light (I still love a song like Listening Wind )

Last edited:
Pretty Hate Machine is what really opened my eyes, ears, and mind to what could be done with synths, drum machines, etc.

But it would be a long time after its release before I started to explore those possibilities with my own songs.

Vangelis - Chariot of Fire soundtrack. Then his "Heaven and Hell" and "Spiral"
Then I couldn't get enough, and quickly branched out to Tomita and Wendy Carlos...

I remember falling asleep listening to "Hearts of Space" <chuckle>

The more records I see quoted here the more I think of even more - so many seminal tracks. But these are the four that warped my young mind the most:

JEAN MICHEL JARRE - OXYGENE
This is my audio daddy. Chemically and permanently altered my 10 year old brain. I always thought Jarre had a massive sonic laboratory, in fact he did it all in his kitchen.

KRAFTWERK - THE MAN MACHINE
If Oxygene was texture, this was rhythm and melody. Brutally brilliant. Made by robots for wannabe robots.

THE HUMAN LEAGUE - DARE
Yes Being Boiled was cool, but this was the record to transform mainstream pop music into something new. Full of belters yet still with an experimental edge. Right songs, right tech, right look, right time.

THE OUTPUT OF ZTT IN 1984
A cheat, obviously, but the combined might of Art Of Noise, Propaganda and Franke Goes To Hollywood took a sledgehammer to everything that came before. The final year of audio revolution.

As an 8 year old with a love of sci-fi it was Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds. Later followed by my first hearing of Are Friend Electric by Tubeway Army.
And even though I’m loath to admit it being battered by my older brothers relentless 70’s prog rock will have had an impact too 😁

Cars by Gary Numan, when I heard this when it first came out (yes, I'm that old) I instantly wanted to start a band... so I did, and never looked back)

Top Bottom