What's new

What Samples have you regretted buying?

The SF player didn't bug me that much when it was introduced, because I had the thought that they would evolve it and address its inadequacies over time. It's been around long enough now, and there have been so few changes, that it seems clear this is more or less what it's going to be. And I'm as fearful now of Abbey Road Modular being hung on the SF Player in its current form, which will at best make the new library less than fun to work with. I do generally like the SF downloader though.

Something similar should probably be said about Sine, though I find Sine generally less aggravating even if it also has a lot of really poor implementation right now. The downloader is not my favorite, and the library tab is a hot mess.

But then too I can complain about Kontakt 7, which I've only started playing around with the Player, and can't say I love. Then there is Native Access, each iteration of which is worse than the previous one. I’ve had to rebuild every one of the last six libraries I’ve downloaded through Native Access because something broke along the way.

Yes, I absolutely experience the same frustration I finding a mix with EWC. The UX of paginated mic lists is atrocious. And it probably took me 30% longer to arrive at a template with a mix that I like that it would have.

So it's worth complaining about. Perhaps even bitterly. But in truth the UX could be *way* worse before it would have an appreciably impact on my love for the library itself.

But fair enough. I have a friend who's a graphic designer who, it sometimes seems, can't walk down the street without being incensed at the travesties of typography she sees. Which is cool, I get that. And it's not that I would ever defend comic sans as anything other that a travesty against typography and good taste, just that so long as the beer is ok, I can forgive any sins of typography the bar's logo might have committed :)
UX design is much different from typography. Not an apples to apples comparison.

Imagine if the same beer was served to you in a small metal box which was almost unbearably cold to the touch because it had been left in the freezer. This box has several small holes which aren’t big enough for a straw. There are several buttons located around the box which opens the hole, and gives you access to the contents of the box. Seemingly, the button or combination of buttons is different every time. Also, the whole from which to drink the contents seems to change as well without any pattern. At most you can get the equivalent of a teaspoon of beer out of the box before the hole seals itself again and you have to find the right combination. Ultimately it takes most people around 5 hours to empty the contents of the box. The box holds the equivalent of half a pint of beer. however, the beer tastes really good.

BTW, there is no refund on the beer. Tthe beer also cost at least double the price of mini comparable beers when not on sale.

I mean… It’s true you don’t hate the beer. However, it’s not ridiculous to think that most people will not delineate between the beer itself and the experience trying to drink the beer.

Last edited:
UX design is much different from typography. Not an apples to apples comparison.
I know. I was being a bit tongue in cheek. The real point was about how people experience different parts of the overall experience differently.

Imagine if the same beer was served to you in a small metal box which was almost unbearably cold to the touch because it had been left in the freezer.
And this analogy is just as not apples to apples, in that - in ay experience - the cup holding the beer is UX experience of fingers on the keyboard. Which is great. And the beer (in this analogy, assuming that we're talking about EWC or a library that I actually like) is especially great. It's the typography on the menu that helps you get the right size of cup that's a bit off.

Anyway, this is a regrets thread and we don't need to debate UX itself. I don't mean to challenge anyone's experience, I was just curious as to why this part of the experience is, to some people, so dominant as to be a deal breaker.

Last edited:
BBCSO Core. It has too few dynamic layers and the brass is useless for more aggressive stuff.

It's probably enough for trailer music or soundtracks that don't use much dynamics but I also write more sophisticated stuff that just needs more dynamic layers, so I'm glad I also bought CSS and CSW. Although those could also need a few more.

One of my favorite recent purchases was the Sonuscore Chroma Grand Piano and it has 23 dynamic layers. I love it soooo much.

Reactions: L70
The thing that gets me going about the SF player isn't that it's objectively terrible on so many different levels, but it's the fact that it was introduced as a breakthrough innovation in virtual instrument aesthetic design and UX that we should all stand in awe of.

I may be on the other side of the spectrum but I don't have any main gripes with the SF player. To me, it's easier to use and see what I'm doing than Kontakt for the most part. My only concerns with it is the lack of a purge option and too many mics (but I can also understand their approach for it). I've been trying my best not to have any regrets with getting Abbey Road One but I also try to remind myself that with these sample libraries comes trials and errors. So I keep that library reserved for mockups and Christmas music.

Spitfire Audio is my big regret. In fact, I have a new rule when shopping for samples or plugins: unless I can demo it, resell it, or very least hear the audio demos naked, I will not buy. I haven't bought from SF since 2017.
well, as far as demos go, there are quite a few naked ones scattered throughout the libraries.
(with the new website, i discovered that with many demos there is a listing of additional libs used, if not a naked demos)
and there are walkthrough videos to check out, where you hear many of the library patches isolated, naked.

But i agree on the resell part. (i am too a bit reluctant towards high investments, when you cannot resell if you wanted to)

Didn't you hear it is "award-winning"?
More like a black hole.

Spitfire is also my UI nightmare.

If I have more than 3 BBCSO instruments open I can't tell which one I have access to. It's all one big black mass with tiny white text that keeps making me make changes in the wrong window. Or I want to load an instrument in a new instance and get the wrong window.

In general, I have to click way too much. 20 mics spread over 3 windows are even more annoying.

Spitfire Studio Strings Pro is just as awful. Articulations spread over several patches, not consistently distributed. In principle, I like them, but the overview and the operation cost too much time.

Speaking of BBCSO: i regret buying it. if it were a kontakt library i might be more accepting of its many shortcomings, but the player just kills it for me in the end.

SCS. It is on one hand a brilliant library. On the other, I dont find a home for it. Chamber music is named such bc it was for small ensembles in small rooms. Recording it how they did in AIR makes it sound like quarter sections of a symphonic section.

The Berlin Inspires are really just sketching libraries on the go. “Save now, spend double later”.
I bought BBCSO Pro. I don't regret buying it as such, but I regret the fact that I had to go buy additional brass libraries as Spitfire just can't seem to get brass right!

Nothing wrong with the functionally of the SF player, IMO. Granted, the text size and contrast could be increased. Less clicks are always better too.

But it spits out audio to the DAW and stays out of the way. That’s all I ask.

Underrated: The ability to hop between SF libraries and instantly know what’s going on without having to relearn where to click

Each to their own etc.

I was going to post this in the thread about falling for marketing, but it seems more appropriate here (even though given the company involved, marketing played a role in my purchases)

Truthfully, the sample libraries I am starting to regret the most are Spitfire Audio, arguably the worst culprits or geniuses (depending on your view point) regarding marketing practices.

I just really don't like their sample player.
  • I hate the lack of purge so everything loads
  • I hate that I have 10+ mic options, which inflates the size, but they make it hard for you to remove mics or add them back in.
  • I hate the interface and the hidden elements,
  • I hate that it doesn't have multi-timbral support,
  • I hate that you can't set a different set of mic options as default,
  • I hate that to reduce the number of articulations in a patch you have to save it as a user preset rather than over-writing their patches.
  • I hate all the issue you have at times when you move the content of a sample library and that you only get a set number of resets and have to contact them for more.

Even for the Kontakt instruments, I hate how small the interface is.

I have got to the point that there is nothing I like about how they do things.

On the positive side, I think some of the Originals are pretty cool and the above issues are less of a problem with those. But even then they feel more like entertainment than useful.

.... wow clearly I needed to get that off my chest after recently working with BBC SO and some of their other libraries.
This is the first time I've seen you say anything particularly negative about anything. I'm proud.

One of us! One of us!

Seriously though, I was a big fan of Spitfire but my interest started dwindling after a while. Around the release of BBCSO, I didn't understand the hype this time, but the marketing campaign was massive. It was everywhere at that time. Then the whole scoring competition extravaganza (excellent visibility for Spitfire, but perhaps the wrong kind of visibility.. ). After all that I lost all interest and any new product is just adding to the growing, seemingly abandonware-like content on their site. I'd much, much rather they quit the aggressive marketing, went back, made their core libraries as perfect as they can be, and invest in their player.

As you know, I was on the hunt for strings and brass libraries this BF. I considered Spitfire for all of 10 minutes. I went on their site, clicked "Strings", and there was 69 different options. Only strings. There's 200 libraries I can see on their site right now. Some tiny, some expansions, some really excellent creative stuff, but 200 libraries is crazy to me. I just see the vast majority of it as abandonware.

I look at the likes of Alex Wallbank (Cinematic Series) and the crazy stuff he could do with access to the rooms, gear, staff and clientele that Spitfire leverage. Maybe I'm wrong. But imagine having Alex Wallbank collaborating with Hans Zimmer, Abbey Road, AIR, BBC, etc etc.

All I know is that these company's marketing campaigns have become thinly veiled to me these days, and once you become even a little bit savvy to it, it's easy to see through the sophisticated branding, artsy trailers and minimalist aesthetic of their player. It all looks great, but there's a whole list of issues that go along with each library when you actually start using them.

There'll be nobody more happy than me if they release a genuinely game changing, new era of strings and sampling. SSS tone really is lovely, but that's no good if you're battling with it the whole time.

Thanks for sharing your experience Mark. It seems many people agree with you too.

This is the first time I've seen you say anything particularly negative about anything. I'm proud.
As a rule I am genuinely a positive person and natural curious about things, and an pretty chilled when things are less than perfect.

I just decided no no longer liked Spitfire libraries mainly due to the new plugin, but also the marketing, sales, over promises, little updates or improvements. Just lots of small things.

In the end of course it isn't important, so I don't regret buying them. I'm sure I will get use from them it is all just part of that journey we go on. We have to travel some distance along the path, making mistakes, to learn. Nothing worth doing in life is cost free.

Last edited:
As a rule I am genuinely a positive person and natural curious about things, and an pretty chilled when things are less than perfect.

I just decided no no longer liked Spitfire libraries mainly due to the new plugin, but also the marketing, sales, over promises, little updates or improvements. Just lots of small things.

In the end of course it isn't important, not so I don't regret buying them. I'm sure I will get use from them it is all just part of that journey we go on. We have to travel some distance along the path, making mistakes, to learn. Nothing worth doing in life is cost free.
We could all take a leaf out of your book :)

One of the reasons I haven't succumbed to AROOF and it's extensions yet is the player. I do have enough RAM (I guess) and I like the sound a lot. But the loading times are already a buzz killer to me. I have BBCSO Pro and I am pretty sure I would use it more if the player was performing better.

I still bought stuff like Fractured Strings. But there I don't mind the player so much because I most likely use at most a handful of instances.

Top Bottom