What's new

What credits should be assigned to providing all of the Foley for a feature?

Studio E

Eric Watkins
I just finished creating an entirely artificial audio environment for a feature-length film. I'm sure there will also be some sound provided by the various microphones capturing dialogue, but in watching the entire film with only my Foley, it basically covers everything from room-tone, outdoor environment, to footsteps, punches, ax-hacking, hat-drops, glass-breaking, and basically 532 tracks worth of "stuff".

I have indeed been paid for the work, but considering that much of it was recorded by me, and all of it was curated by me, one way or the other, processed, installed into the timeline, etc, what credits should I be assigned in the end credits?

I seriously have no idea.

I just finished creating an entirely artificial audio environment for a feature-length film. I'm sure there will also be some sound provided by the various microphones capturing dialogue, but in watching the entire film with only my Foley, it basically covers everything from room-tone, outdoor environment, to footsteps, punches, ax-hacking, hat-drops, glass-breaking, and basically 532 tracks worth of "stuff".

I have indeed been paid for the work, but considering that much of it was recorded by me, and all of it was curated by me, one way or the other, processed, installed into the timeline, etc, what credits should I be assigned in the end credits?

I seriously have no idea.

Sound designer and/or Sound editor and/or Foley Artist

that is a puzzle - and it sounds like it was a really fun project! Kudos!!

For credit I'd probably leave it at Sound Design by - anyone that knows will notice no one is listed for music editor or Foley and make the connection. Anyone that doesn't probably doesn't read the credits anyway<G>.

Just a thought

Just FYI Foley is a specific category of sounds: footsteps, spot effects and cloth/movement. Named after Jack Foley who invented the process of performing 'foley' in sync to picture. It usually invovles a team: foley artist/performer, foley recordist/mixer and foley editor.

Foley isn't ambiences or major sound effects, although sometimes a foley team will contribute small scale elements for large scale sound moments (eg small debris for an explosion).

Traditionally a Sound Designer oversees all sound elements (the term originates from Walter Murch on Apocalypse Now) and has been expanded to include someone who designs special sound effects (eg monsters, scifi etc) while a Sound Effects Editor tends to handle more normal sounds (vehicles, doors, violence, ambiences etc)

Check IMDB on a few films and you will see how the work (and credits) are usually shared between a team.

Last edited:
Top Bottom