What's new

What are your opinions about how AI will alter VSTs expression capabilities?

Again, I'm not objecting. I'm predicting. In no way do I think it would be unreasonable to a director to choose AI over me if, to his ears, there is a somewhat comparable product with a vast difference in price. And I also think that there is a huge market for AI-assisted tracks when it comes to stock music. If I have to choose between stock art and AI art I'm going to take AI art. And I point out the part about loops and whatnot because I know that there are many very talented producers who use loops and samples like it's going out of style. That's why there's a market for that. My post has far less to do with what I think is right for the director than it does with what I think is going to happen to the composer. My point is that I, personally, with no judgement or recommendation for others, do not at this time wish to use AI to assist me with my music production. I'm not saying "if you use AI then you're not a creative." Because the argument could be made "if you don't build your synth sounds from the ground up on hardware synths then you're not a creative." I'm not even saying that a director using AI-composed music is making the wrong choice. If the ultimate goal of a composer is to serve the director so the director can serve the viewers, then if the director thinks AI music is the best way to do that then it's not my place to object.

This is a very long-winded way of saying that like it or not, lower-budget work might start disappearing here soon. And that's ok. It isn't morally wrong for OT to overprice their products. (cough cough...) It isn't morally wrong for a composer to use loops. It isn't morally wrong for a director to use Udio. It isn't morally wrong for me to subject you to a small novel of me ranting (debatable). But to me, I prefer not to use AI. You might prefer to only use SATB choirs.

I'm not judging anyone who uses AI or loops or samples. But I'm a purist what can I say.

Also sorry OT I really love y'all but my wallet hurts just talking about this.
I also have little interest in AI composition or ChatGPT or MidJourney, though I’ve played around with all of them to test capabilities, and I can see using AI music composition for a limited amount tasks (e.g. generating aleatoric effects). It also seems AI vastly improves singing words so to the extent to which it can be used to make vocalist and choir VIs sing words in a somewhat less terrible fashion, I’m for that. (I’m not looking for replacement quality, just something that can give me a better sense of how the words sit, very much like Synth V is doing, and using AI for its training.) The same is true for VI instruments, though the difficulty is that not terrible seems to be good enough to be used in commercial production.

In any case I don’t mean to pick on you personally or your practices. None of this yields simple solutions, and I find the general problem fascinating. It’s also not a new problem of course. AI has just considerably widened the scope of the sort of labor the machine might replace.

I also have little interest in AI composition or ChatGPT or MidJourney, though I’ve played around with all of them to test capabilities, and I can see using AI music composition for a limited amount tasks (e.g. generating aleatoric effects). It also seems AI vastly improves singing words so to the extent to which it can be used to make vocalist and choir VIs sing words in a somewhat less terrible fashion, I’m for that. (I’m not looking for replacement quality, just something that can give me a better sense of how the words sit, very much like Synth V is doing, and using AI for its training.) The same is true for VI instruments, though the difficulty is that not terrible seems to be good enough to be used in commercial production.

In any case I don’t mean to pick on you personally or your practices. None of this yields simple solutions, and I find the general problem fascinating. It’s also not a new problem of course. AI has just considerably widened the scope of the sort of labor the machine might replace.
Of course! I don't think there's anything wrong with what you're doing. I could see myself using AI mastering and I have used AI for business purposes.

Self-checkout probably evoked many of the same fears in cashiers when it first grew popular in the early 2000s. Adapting to new technology is what our line of works entails. Those who started their journey on pencil and paper had to cope with the rise of sibelius. The sound engineers who worked with analog equipment had to transition into DAWs. Eventually I'll probably be forced to cave and start using AI once I find myself at a disadvantage without it.

The goal is to just hone your craft so well that there is no comparable alternative. Completely off-topic, but read $100 Million Offers by Alex Hormozi and you'll see what I'm talking about.

AI can't become differentiated. The rest of us can.

Not even from flautists?

I mean I share the desire to have VIs that are less terrible. But I worry whenever VIs can replace real players. Because if they can they inevitably will. We know they already do. And if we are fine with VIs replacing real players then where do we have standing when they replace composers?
Lol you are literally on a virtual instruments forum 😂

Lol you are literally on a virtual instruments forum 😂
There are many ways of using virtual instruments that don't involve replacing live players in final production. There are many things samples and synths can do that real instruments can't. In any case, it doesn't change the fact that you can hardly complain when AI comes for your job if you are happy to replace others with it.

Traditional note-by-note sampling will become extinct. AI sample developers will record entire performances instead. I think the hired musicians would prefer that over the tedious boring recording sessions of every single note and articulation.

Maybe the director of the film would rather not hire a composer. In any case the fantasies that surround all of this, the desire to consolidate creative control to the self only to dispatch it to the machine, is also concerning.
And then the studio prefers to use AI to write scripts rather than work with directors, replace actors with avatars, and eventually lobby for legislation that allows them to reverse any decisions reached during strikes. Then the media platforms opt to replace film studios by licensing or developing an AI to generate content, and on and on.

The end result of this fantasy is basically a McDonaldland version of every facet of film/tv/music production, where the quality of content winds up being a fast food version of its former self. No thanks...

As the saying goes... Careful what you wish for..... (Not you jbuhler, but the 'collective' you...)

People want to play music. Virtual instruments didn't replace real instruments. They are good tools for composers but they are a simulation anyway. Why using DAWs and plugins if there are tools where we can record any instrument and let AI translate it to the instruments we like? Or even hum the melody we want them to play? Just another way of simulation. Todays DAWs will be gone like tape machines.

AI will be able to compose and it will be done for media and entertainment. But there will still be a community of people who want to play and want to compose. Computers can beat any chess player but people still play chess. It will be easier to get a full orchestra sound out of a notation program and a lot of little helpers for arranging etc. I could imagine an interactive composition tool that can react to directing and parameters like: "Next section, slower, b-minor strings, little movement in the mid register. Stop. Start a flute melody here, listen (humm humm), now basses move down chromatically, adapt the harmonisation." Things like that. No more plugins in fifteen years.

My take is more positive. Yes AI can end the world as we know it and probably will and yes it could create music for music jobs.....but.....what else can it do, if harnessed by musicians?
For example can it make samples sound more accurately like their original instrument? Could it improve modelling Could it make it easier to score? Could it make it more accurate transfers from piano to full score?
Could it make

"At the moment you can have Peter Gabriel or anyone else to sing your song, I don't think Peter Gabriel and the likes would be happy to hear their own voices used against their will on probably crappy music they don't approve, and without remuneration."---Anyone remember when John Fogerty was sued by his old record label for sounding too much like his old songs?

The First step for developers having large libraries with several articulations / expressive multisampling will be to provide a tool that will generate the "expression" I want based on basic prompts or by the analysis of the score, automatically choosing the articulation and the CC to be written

A second step would be to do the above based on some kind of advanced prompt and the last step to integrate all of this in a daw with a dedicated new a.i. vst

Maybe with some new filter or FX especially designed for this functionality

This will permit the vendors to continue to use/sell existing libraries and to prepare for the transition

Probably the multisampled libraries will continue to exist for a while with new capabilities or a.i. functionalities, and will definitely be substituted by something else in several years

Top Bottom