What's new

What Are You Guys/Gals Using to Back-Up Your Sample Drives?

leevacaro

I have four Samsung T7s for samples. I have them mostly backed up on WD My Passport HDD. The WD drives do not run and are now purely for back-up. Should I look into a better back-up system? What are you guys using? Thank you in advance for your expertise. Cheers.

Most things I've bought in the past 1.5 years I haven't downloaded in the first place until several months later, and it seems only the occasional developer has expiring downloads. While I'm not planning to permanently rely on the availability of downloads from my online accounts, it does help me not to feel rushed about acquiring more external disk space. I use mainly internal drives for sample storage, but have some backup space on a Samsung T7. I can't see a problem with WD My Passport HDD. I've seen several people recommend online backups with Backblaze.

In the tower I built last year I have four 2TB NVMe drives for samples, and I also put an 8TB regular spinning HD in there as the dedicated backup drive. Anytime there’s and update or I buy something new (something I’m trying to avoid for now, lol), I just run the backup script I created and it saves any changes or new files.

You didn’t mention if you have a tower or laptop, or if it’s Mac or PC. If you’re running a laptop or a MacBook, a NAS unit (Network Attached Storage) is a great solution since it connects to your network, nothing to plug into your laptop. If you have a Mac, you can use time machine to manage the backups to the unit. It’s nice, any computer you have can access the NAS and be your master back up system. I use a Synology unit with four 12TB drives which gives me essentially a 24TB drive on my network (before formatting) with the data being written across multiple drives. The one drawback is the upfront cost since it’s the unit plus whatever 4 huge hard drives you buy. It’ll get over $1,000 easily to set up a NAS but once done it’s a nice data vault that doesn’t need a USB cable. If you want to know more, I can provide links, etc.

I've been BackBlaze-only for sample data backup to date, but you post is reminding me to repurpose an older backup spinner (hard drive) for redundant backup. I've never felt sample data backup was super critical, as everything can theoretically be re-downloaded from the web. But the practicality of finding all the disparate data is definitely an issue.

Running a Mac Studio, internal storage is not possible. I use large external USB-connected hard drives for my local backup in several ways: A Time Machine drive for system and current project files (excluding sample data), and long-term and archive drives for old project files... 8TB for long-term file storage and 14TB for archive (which includes current long-term files.) Backblaze gets everything except system and applications (which it does not support.)

I'm going to add that spinner today, run a backup of all my sample data, then disconnect and put it in storage, updating periodically. Thanks for the reminder!

All of my drives are backed up using a modern twist of the old school methods. I have two onsite backups (NAS + HDD backup) and three offsite (Nas remote location, quarterly HDD backup in safe deposit box, and Backblaze.)

This is pure overkill for sample libraries, but I'm also a video editor... so... can't be too careful or I'm in some serious trouble...

I no longer routinely back up samples from the big companies that are easily downloaded again. For smaller firms I fear might go out of business I have a couple of large spinning drives I use for backups. Everything else gets backed up at least twice, once to time machine and once to dropbox. Current music and video projects and other key working files get backed up to a second external drive as well.

Backup server with 148TB of RED WD spinning drives, running on Windows Server 2012.

(sorry missed off the 1 for 148TB :shocked:)

Last edited:
I have four Samsung T7s for samples. I have them mostly backed up on WD My Passport HDD. The WD drives do not run and are now purely for back-up. Should I look into a better back-up system? What are you guys using? Thank you in advance for your expertise. Cheers.
I use Superduper on Mac to back up 8Tb sample library ssd drive to a 8Tb spinning disk drive.

I have a Synology Server with 5 Disks in Raid 3. That makes it reasonably fast over ethernet connection and all data is still possible to recover with one disk of the 5 failing. Of course, this kind of setup is not worth while just to back up your samples. But it is a great complete solution mass storage. You can all access it online from everywhere if you choose to set it up like that.

Chronosync user here. I really like it. I have an OWC thunderbolt hub and a ton of different drives. I just keep a couple 'back-up' drives and Chronosync constantly backs up the current 'work' drives.

I have used Chronosync for years with ChronoAgent on secondary computers. I need to make better use of it and have been thinking is the right tool for the sample library job.

Top Bottom