What's new

We <don't> have thumbs down!

JEPA

We have thumbs down!

r4107_0_8800_4732_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

hey guys! stop disliking me, all my "reaction score" and my forum premium "points" gonna be affected... all my prizes.. oh my goodness ;)

but joking aside, this is a quite new interesting inclusion/evolution in the history of the VI-Control forum! just was thinking about and was wondering what would be the consequences when developers get disliked and some products get thumbs down...

Some years ago I would have just laughed about it.....today ?.....sadly this has become so real and omnipresent....vi is still a mostly nice and neat place, but if you look at kvr for example (which has been the same years ago), so I must admit it feels harder to just laugh about this.....and...do we really NEED this in here ? Sorry if I seem humourless but in this time where dislike is not far away from hate so often....

As far as I can tell the dislike doesn't affect reaction score at all, and a like increases it by 1. So effectively the dislike does nothing numerically to the stats.

I have some doubts that this is a good feature to have.

The same goes for the like button as well. I feel like it always acts as a slight amplifier of the already dominating opinions, boosting the echo-chamber effect that such communities inevitably have already. I don't think that's a good thing.

I dislike dislike buttons. Honestly, if you don't like something then either move along, or reply in actual written words explaining your disagreement, so one or both parties can evolve their views or practices.

Anonymous drive-by downvoting on Reddit or thumbsdowns on Youtube really get me going.

I'm always reminded of something Mike Verta said on this topic, where this type of practice is like saying "fuck you and your free content!"

There's already enough silent hatred and bs rivalry on these forums which can easily get triggered (yeah I don't like this word either) and cause havoc. If you don't like somebodies opinion, try to discuss in a civil manner with an open mind. Maybe there's even a way you can learn something new. And if you don't like something because you just feel like it, then mind your own business and move along. There's no need for a thumbs down button.

Some good points made here that I hadn't previously considered. I'm in agreement that the "dislike" buttons probably won't add anything of value to this site and in fact, will likely create anger, hostility, etc. VIC has done a fine job of avoiding that type of atmosphere to the degree it is possible on a web forum up to this point. If you are looking for anger and hostility, just head over to the politics section here as I have from time to time. Lots of the usual internet stuff there. But it would be nice to keep that stuff out of the general forum.

I mean I worry what will be next for VIC after the addition of the "dislike" buttons.... are the Russian bots soon to follow? ;)

There's definitely downsides to all options. The 'dislike' reaction was added yesterday (inspired by Random Guy's postings, which have subsequently been moved to Drama Zone).
It is just an experiment for now, with the sole purpose of improving the community, and combatting thread de-railings and trolling. It can easily be switched off.

Not advocating either way on this, but there are a few arguments for it, one of which is that if somebody can see that their post is getting disliked and is therefore not appreciated, maybe... just maybe.... they'll think twice before posting the same thing again. And again. And derailing a thread. Likewise, there's a lot of argumentative folks on these boards lately that will state their opposition to something several times, again, often derailing a thread and causing a fuss.
Thirdly, we get a lot of members reporting posts simply because they disagree with them, treating the 'report' feature like a dislike function. Well, now they don't need to.

I can of course think of how a system like this can be abused, but I have enough faith in the community that it won't be. But even if it does, we can see who is doing it, as likes and dislikes are not anonymous. So I don't expect dislikes to be thrown around willy-nilly. You gotta own it.

I do agree with a lot of the sentiments being shared here about the presence of "hate" etc, which is why we got rid of the angry face reaction that came default with the forum software, hoping that the "thumbs down" would be seen more of a "disagreement emoji" as opposed to a hateful one. If someone's "hate" can be contained in a single emoji instead of a series of posts and rants, would that be better or worse?

Most of us would agree that a civil discussion is the best course of action, but we all know by now that that's simply not how everyone conducts themselves. And if they find an outlet in a dislike button, then maybe they won't feel the need to cause an argument and send a thread way off course.

Again, I'm not advocating for it, just presenting one side in order to inspire discussion.

I appreciate everyone's feedback, so feel free to keep it comin. We'll see how it goes!

It is just an experiment for now, with the sole purpose of improving the community, and combatting thread de-railings and trolling.

This has nothing to do with improving the community, rather the opposite. People should know how to react to a troll, if not, they have to learn. A dislike button is like calling mom without any reaction.

One of which is that if somebody can see that their post is getting disliked and is therefore not appreciated, maybe... just maybe.... they'll think twice before posting the same thing again.

Why? Ignoring it isn't enough anymore?

Secondly, we get a lot of members reporting various posts, as if it's a dislike function. Well, now they don't need to.
Well if somebody dislikes a post and reports it and there's nothing wrong with it, then ignore it. This all seems just like an excuse to make your life as a moderator easier.

I have to admit that the last sounded a bit harsh.

Nevertheless, I have the concern that people will use it deliberately and without trying to discuss why they don't like a post. Relevant feedback and discussion is probably the main reason why we all visit V.I.

As long as it doesn't get as toxic as the Stack Overflow forum!
Its probably nicer to leave a reply and say why you don't agree with something, and in a way that you would do it face to face.

I dislike dislike buttons. Honestly, if you don't like something then either move along, or reply in actual written words explaining your disagreement, so one or both parties can evolve their views or practices.

Anonymous drive-by downvoting on Reddit or thumbsdowns on Youtube really get me going.

I'm always reminded of something Mike Verta said on this topic, where this type of practice is like saying "fuck you and your free content!"
I know YouTube gives you more of stuff you like. So usually I only dislike stuff I really don't want to see more of in my recommendations. And lately it's been videos with artificial voices. I'd rather listen to someone with an accent and personality than a mechanical voice reading a script.

And maybe now I've written this, I will stop seeing those videos. I swear they are listening to me based on the auto fill.

hey guys! stop disliking me, all my "reaction score" and my forum premium "points" gonna be affected... all my prizes.. oh my goodness ;)

but joking aside, this is a quite new interesting inclusion/evolution in the history of the VI-Control forum! just was thinking about and was wondering what would be the consequences when developers get disliked and some products get thumbs down...
additionally I was thinking about psychological consequences when somebody or more than a couple of people start disliking your composition in "member's compositions"... :elephant:

Top Bottom